Pony in Hospital - Possibly Cancer.

smirnoff_ice

Visit site
Little pony at our yard has been ill for a while now (initially colic-like symptoms, but progressed). The other day he was referred to Leahurst as an emergency. They used our trailer and i went with them. The vets did an ultrasound of his kidneys and part of his guts, blood tests and a peritineal tap and apart from very low protein, they couldn't find anything. His temp and resps were sky-high, he wouldn't eat and whatever was wrong with him had caused laminitis.
frown.gif
He's only 6.
His owner has just text me and said that the vets are now thinking it's cancer (somewhere in the guts) and that they're not sure if he's going to get better.
frown.gif
They're doing more tests, but it's not looking good.

So positive vibes for Harry please. And if anyone has any experience of cancers in horses, how often is it treatable?
frown.gif

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Aw I am sorry to hear this and I am sending healing vibes to Harry x
I have not had experience with cancer in horses though just other pets but I once had a very young ferret ( not even 2) that had an aggressive form of cancer that was sadly pts.
The vet told me that in the case of ferrets anyway cancer in an animal so young was not very common. I was also told that in the case of the ferret being so young that the form of cancer was more aggressive and would spread quicker than in an older animal which is probably the reason why elderly pets which develop cancer can have a prolonged life with the use of drugs. I think it is mostly due to the metobolic rate slowing down in older animals.
I don't know about horses though and I hope this is not the case with the little pony
frown.gif

Caz

quirky

Visit site
Ahh, how awful.

I had my pony pts with stomach cancer 4 years ago. It was heart breaking how quickly he went down hill.

I hope little pony doesn't have it, more healing vibes from me.

pagancluf

Visit site
Positive vibes for Harry <<<<<>>>>>>
Hope he gets better.

PM madcobfan as she has a horse that beat cancer by doing certain things.

good luck.

smirnoff_ice

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Positive vibes for Harry <<<<<>>>>>>
Hope he gets better.

PM madcobfan as she has a horse that beat cancer by doing certain things.

good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do, thank you. x

And thank you everyone else too. He's a lovely little man - it's such a shame.
frown.gif

They're doing more tests today to see if they can find out for certain, but they're not very hopeful that it's treatable.
frown.gif
Fingers crossed they're wrong. x