Pony kicking when lifting feet - any advice?

Cerries

Visit site
Hi everyone!

I'm new here (waves hello!) so I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this. If not, admin please feel free to move :)

We recently welcomed our new boy to our family, and he is an amazing little pony.

EXCEPT he kicks when I lift his feet to clean his hooves :(

I watched his previous owner cleaning out his hooves with no problem, so I'm guessing he's playing up for me.

Today, I managed to clean three hooves with no issues (I run my hand down his leg, pull gently at his feathers, he lifts up his foot) - but the front right foot - he just kept kneeing me.

I've researched ways to tackle this behaviour, and the advice seems to be give me a good kick or smack back.

Any advice / suggestions much appreciated! We only got him on Saturday, so I know there's a looooong way to go before our relationship is established. But in the meantime, I'd rather not be winded every day when I come to clean out his hooves :)

Thanks so much everyone! :)

Cerries

Visit site
You'll need to work out whether it's behavioural or pain related. Does he do it when someone else does his feet?

Hey Sparemare!

He was absolutely fine doing it when his previous owner did it last week. He also behaved well for the yard owner yesterday, who was a little more assertive than I have been :)

I'm pretty sure it's behavioural. He's on a new yard, with new owners - so I suspect he's testing us to see if he can pull a fast one? :) Also - yesterday, this particular hoof was no problem - it was another one he kicked out with, at the back.

Thank you! :)

Sparemare

Visit site
Ah, sounds like he's trying you out then! Can you get your yard owner to do them with you for a few days while you build up your confidence?

Cerries

Visit site
Ah, sounds like he's trying you out then! Can you get your yard owner to do them with you for a few days while you build up your confidence?

I can! This is our first pony that we've owned, and he was an ANGEL - so I know he is polite underneath it all lol! I just wondered whether there was anything I could do to communicate to him that kicking is not ok :)

lornaA

Visit site
My pony hates anyone touching her feathers. If I touch her feathers she will snatch her feet away. Also hold the foot tight and don't let go as once they have learned they can snatch the foot away they will keep doing it and stand to the side but close to them so you don't get kicked.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi, and yes, I think I can help.

I the horse is OK with other people then you are obviously doing something different. I don't see the horse as "pulling a fast one" as I don't think they think that way.

I helped a client with this very thing recently, she was doing nearly the right thing, but there is a knack to where you place your hand to lift and then hold the leg firmly without grabbing at it. I would get your farrier or person who has no issue to show you exactly how they are asking.

For the lady I was helping, it took 15 minutes to change a situation from flailing legs to no issue, and it was just a matter of understanding how the various joints move, and where to place your hand. Her horse was not meaning to be "bad" but did not feel secure the way her foot was being held.

Rapidash

Visit site
Not sure if it applies here but make sure the pony is standing squarely- kicking out might just be him trying to balance.

Cerries

Visit site
Hi, and yes, I think I can help.

I the horse is OK with other people then you are obviously doing something different. I don't see the horse as "pulling a fast one" as I don't think they think that way.

I helped a client with this very thing recently, she was doing nearly the right thing, but there is a knack to where you place your hand to lift and then hold the leg firmly without grabbing at it. I would get your farrier or person who has no issue to show you exactly how they are asking.

For the lady I was helping, it took 15 minutes to change a situation from flailing legs to no issue, and it was just a matter of understanding how the various joints move, and where to place your hand. Her horse was not meaning to be "bad" but did not feel secure the way her foot was being held.

Thank you so much Red-1 - got it!

I shall definitely take your advice, and I'll ask my YO to spend some time with me tomorrow showing me where I'm going wrong :)

Cerries

Visit site
Not sure if it applies here but make sure the pony is standing squarely- kicking out might just be him trying to balance.

Thank you Rapidash!

Definitely worth looking at! I'm pretty sure he was balanced - it seemed more like he wasn't happy, and wanted us to know about it! :) But I'll check that next time he does it. Thank you so much!

arlosmum

Visit site
Our Sec A mare was/is like this. When we got her (9 years ago) she had suffered with laminitis. It is definitely 'remembered' pain with her.
She's only 11hh but very strong, and an opinionated little baggage at the best of times! My daughter used to struggle to get her to pick up when she was younger.
A consistent, calm approach worked best. With plenty of praise when she behaved.
Her feet are picked out daily now. I think before we got her they were done on high days & holidays! If someone less confident, i.e. if one of my daughters friends, comes to help she sometimes reverts to being naughty. A swift growl brings her round!

pennyturner

Visit site
The previous owner was probably just more confident, calm and firm about it than you are, or maybe he's only used to her way of doing it.

If at all possible, having given him fair warning by running your hand down his leg, and taken up the foot securely (I find a verbal 'foot up' useful, if you don't already), you should treat a little kick out as 'normal' (assuming we're not talking about him trying to take out your teeth!), and resist it, by keeping hold of the foot gently but firmly, whilst he gets his balance. Cradle the foot securely. He must not get the impression that he can get rid of you like an irritating fly.

It may help to only hold the leg up briefly to start, but it must be you that tells him ('foot down') when he can put it down. Eventually, he'll get used to your style.

Rollin

Visit site
A farrier told me never to pull the feathers as it hurts.

In France I notice vets and farriers squeeze the tendons to make a horse lift its feet. Having said all that, I have three home breds, all by the same sire who did not like to lift their hind legs, it took a lot of patience. For 'difficult' horses I use a glove on the end of a stick to brush the leg up and down before attempting to lift the foot.

I am sure you will overcome the problem.

9tails

Visit site
Does sound like he's playing you a bit. One pony practically welded her feet to the ground for every new sharer. I run my hand down and cup the fetlock, if it doesn't come up they get a little shoulder bump.

Cerries

Visit site
Thank you soooo much everyone!

I'm going to re-read through all of your fabulous suggestions this afternoon, and give them a go when I go to see to him later :) I'll let you know how I get on! xo