pony kicking when mounting and more

Mayschwartz

New User
Visit site
I just got a 5yo pony from the Netherlands about 3 days ago and he seems to have some problems.
At first he seems like a very sweet pony, but today i tried to get up and ride him a bit. He hasn't been ridden very much and is recently broken in and the ones I bought him from said that he was very green but used to a rider. So I tried to put on a saddle and then slowly jump at his side and get up, he was fine with it at the start but when I put pressure on and was about to really get on him he kicked out after me. So I just took a step back and tried again but he kicked out again.
He also does this when I touch his back legs and sometimes when I touch his stomach.

So I was wondering what I could do to stop this behavior. Though I have a suspicion that it's because he doesn't trust me yet or the former owner haven't broken him in properly.

J&S

Visit site
Just gently desensitise him, you are possibly trying to do too much too quickly. Get him used to a mounting block rather than trying to jump on.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My mare did almost exactly this when I brought her home!

I got the chiropractor out to have a look and she diagnosed pain and issues with her sacro-iliac area. After a period of rest and some further treatment she did come good after which time she stood up to the mounting block politely.

She'd been used as an RDA horse and we think she may have possibly had people hauling her around and become sore.

I would primarily check the pony OP refers to above for pain; I'd be inclined to get the vet to have a look in the first instance just to make sure; and following that get a good physio to take a look. I do not think it is behavioural, this pony is exhibiting classic pain symptoms. There could be all sorts going on; if the pony is as you say kicking out as you are mounting that could just indicate possible ulcers???

Arzada

Visit site
Did you see and ride the pony before you bought him? I'm guessing not so did you see a video of him handled, saddled, mounted, ridden and dismounted from?

Was he vetted?

Your OP reads as though you were trying to get on from the ground. He may be used to being mounted from a mounting block or having his rider legged up.

Fully agree with previous answers re getting him checked.

coblets

Visit site
I hate to be that person but kicking when you touch his stomach is making me think of ulcers... Regardless, definitely sounds like pain or remembered pain. I don't think it's just an issue that he's not been broken in properly if he's kicking when parts of his body are touched too.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If he’s only recently broken in, then he’s not green - he’s ’recently broken in’.

Not sure what your mounting style is from your description, but you need to treat and handle what you have in front of you - something that’s potentially not been handled much, and recently broken in…

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
I say you been scammed it’s sounds to me you bought a unbroken horse that hasn’t even been sat on . Be very careful and I would treat him like a unhandled and unbroken youngster.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I would treat him as an unbroken pony.
I think I'd get a vet check first then go back to square one with him.
If you are not used to starting ponies, once the vet has checked him send him away for a few weeks breaking and basic schooling. Even if he has done some riding previously it will set him up for a better start with you

Leandy

Visit site
Did you try him? What videos have you seen of him and what was he doing in them? How recent are they? Was he vetted? How much did you pay? A good price or was he a "bargain"? What condition is he in? How experienced are you with youngsters? If you haven't seen him doing more I would guess he is just backed. He has likely been sat on really not many times and you would be best advised to treat him as barely backed and start with lunging in tack, standing him beside the mounting block until he is comfortable and relaxed with that, lean over etc etc until he is happy, and only then aim to get on. He is probably unsettled having been exported only very recently and not yet in his comfort zone being ridden so just take it more slowly. Does the saddle fit? Don't try to get on from the ground! Go back in his training to a level he is comfortable with and work from there.

Adoni123

Visit site
As the pony travelled so far, did they have a gut balancer at all? Long trips can disturb their tummies and annoy any ulcers etc. I like using a gut balancer for any travelling and can't imagine how long it took for him to arrive! Just an idea :)

Parrotperson

Visit site
Are you sure he’s broken in?

yes. this would be my question. If they've just chucked a saddle and bridle on and leant across him they'll call that broken in.

Plus. when you say "jump at his side and get up" are you doing this from the ground? You really need someone to hold him and then give you a quiet leg up or be standing at a mounting block. Jumping up may be what's irking him.