pony lame behind - dropped pelvis?

justin

New User
Visit site
Our wonderful 13.2 connemara has not been right now for over 3 months. It began when he started bucking after jumping which was uncharacteristic. Our McTimony Chiropractor diagnosed a tight and unlevel pelvic area, treated him and advised rest. 6 weeks later we began light work and he was fine for a few weeks, then was unlevel behind. We rested him again after a 2nd treatment and yesterday we brough him in to see and he was lame behind. I got the Vet who felt his whole rear end was stiff and his pelvis slightly unlevel. She has recommended an equine osteopath followed by 3 months rest. Does anyone out there have any advice or similar experiences to share?

misst

Visit site
TBH I would want more than the vet just feeling the back/pelvis at this point. The pony has been lame for a while.
Sometimes it is hind legs causing the problem - any flexion tests done? I would probably be looking for scans/xrays of the back or hinds or explaination as to why these were not needed. So far you do not have a true diagnosis.
Sorry - I am a bit paranoid though so others may disagree
wink.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
Most back pain is caused by something else being wrong. If he is lame behind I would get the vet to investigate. I might be tempted to get a different vet as the first one only prodded his back - did she do flexion tests?

CBAnglo

Visit site
most back pain is actually caused by hind leg lameness. I would be inclined to think that this is a sacroiliac injury from your description. This usually shows on a high flexion test but sometimes remains undetected unless the area is scanned.

I wouldnt be riding him at the moment and would get another vet out to see the pony immediately. A chiro can help relieve the symptoms for a short period, but if there really is a SI injury it needs to be treated with steroids.

twinkle

Visit site
my mare did both hind suspensorys and sounded just like yours i would most defently be getting xrays and ultrasound and find out what it is better sooner than later

hope you find out soon i had chiro the whole way threw trying to diagnose my mare i had three vets say very sim to yours but i didagreed and got another opinuion she was finally diagnose after a year it took along time she would pass most flexsion test when she didnt it was only slightly most back people will only slightly hellp with relieving pain if its not the back

Chumsmum

Visit site
Same question as the others, did vet perform flexion tests?

My pony started off as slightly unlevel behind on a circle, we too thought it was pelvis but turned out to be Bone Spavin.

Good luck, hope you get him sorted and back out jumping again soon.

justin

New User
Visit site
thanks to all of you above who have posted replies. the pony is no better after the vets osteopath treated him, so am taking him to proper equine vet for thorough exam. we are in the wilds a long way from such vets. i have asked for flexion tests and xrays and we will see. i too am worried it might be a spavin... will keep you posted. again thanks
sarah

Chumsmum

Visit site
My vet suspected Bone Spavin after flexion tests and it was confirmed with joint blocking and x-rays.

Try not to worry too much, fingers crossed you have caught it early (like I did) and with treatment and careful management my boy is actually working better than ever.

K27

Visit site
As someone else has said back pain is usually secondary to something else going on , normally lower down ie hocks, feet etc.

I'd tend to get a good vet out for a second opinion to take a look and investigate further with flexion tests and go from there.

Good luck.

justin

New User
Visit site
Just to update on our problem; the vet xrayed him and feels there may be a problem with either his stifle or his hock. Have medicated into the hock and if he comes sound that must be the problem area. Fingers crossed. Does anyone out there know about stifle injuries, probably ligament damage?