Pony looking to the left !

Pam Matthews

New User
Visit site
I have just got a new pony hes good in every way except he will insist in holding his head to the left so he looks a bit like a banana !! I put my leg on and encourage him to walk looking straight ahead but he only straightens up towards the end of a ride. He is ridden in a snaffle but prior to me riding he hasnt been ridden for about a year any tips ? thanks a lotPony p

Smogul

Visit site
You don't say what age the pony is but he could be very stiff, especially if he hasn't been ridden for a year. I would suggest getting a physio out to check him over and starting non-ridden bending exercises e.g. carrot stretches

ZoeF

Visit site
Hi, it would be worth having his back checked just to be sure its nothing like that and checking your tack. If he hasnt done much he might just be out of practise so you might try stretching exercises in hand (I use the lickit treats or a handful of his feed) or some gentle lunging or schooling in hand :)

Last edited:

FreeRider19

Visit site
If I am holding a whip in my left hand my pony will go all banana and look at it. If I hold my whip on the outside he drifts inwards and always looks at it. I don't know if you hold a whip but if you do that might be the case? If not try holding a whip in your left hand and you can give him a tap on the shoulder to back up your leg aid to get him looking straight. I also agree he might jut be a little stiff, call the physio out. You'll sort it out soon :)

oldie48

Visit site
You don't say what age the pony is but he could be very stiff, especially if he hasn't been ridden for a year. I would suggest getting a physio out to check him over and starting non-ridden bending exercises e.g. carrot stretches

Hi, sounds like stiffness as he is better at the end of the ride, if it was tack related I'd have thought it would get worse. Is he just hacked out? why not try some simple suppling exercises, even if you don't have access to a school, you can do them in a field or even on a hack. I'd also get a physio to check him over too.

Pam Matthews

New User
Visit site
Thanks so much for the advise I think not being ridden for such a long time is the prob but will get him checked abs try stretching methods !! Had the saddler up yesterday and he suggests both his saddles aren't right as he's half hooped shape so suggesting a treeless saddle as I'm an older rider not sure what these are and If it will hel us both gas anyone got an opinion many thanks for you time.