Pony lost sparkle?

mcgreggor

Visit site
Sister’s NF pony is normally a very feisty and fun ride but lately just seems to have lost his joie de vivre! Last weekend we rode out to the “gallop” field to see if this would cheer him up (all the horses know exactly what to do in this field) so mine was off like **** off a shovel but sister’s pony was sedately cantering along (not normal, they’re usually racing neck to neck) this has been going on for a couple of weeks - generally just being a bit flat and un-enthusiastic about stuff when really we've only known him as a little pocket rocket, however he’s schooling consistently well and doesn’t seem in any obvious discomfort. We’ve tried giving him a couple of weeks off, putting him on the good grass (sent mine wild but no affect for sister’s pony), physio is booked, teeth were done a month ago. Any ideas? He is in good condition and being a native just gets happy hoof.

radicalthunder

Visit site
Sister’s NF pony is normally a very feisty and fun ride but lately just seems to have lost his joie de vivre! Last weekend we rode out to the “gallop” field to see if this would cheer him up (all the horses know exactly what to do in this field) so mine was off like **** off a shovel but sister’s pony was sedately cantering along (not normal, they’re usually racing neck to neck) this has been going on for a couple of weeks - generally just being a bit flat and un-enthusiastic about stuff when really we've only known him as a little pocket rocket, however he’s schooling consistently well and doesn’t seem in any obvious discomfort. We’ve tried giving him a couple of weeks off, putting him on the good grass (sent mine wild but no affect for sister’s pony), physio is booked, teeth were done a month ago. Any ideas? He is in good condition and being a native just gets happy hoof.

You say that he is in good condition and no obvious comfort. Are they in the same field together - could he be depressed? bullied? I had a horse that looked perfect but didn't want to do anything wholeheartedly - and it turned out that he was being bullied in the field; but with no signs of health deterioration - its hard to be 100% without watching.

paddi22

Visit site
could ha be struggling with a virus, or be lacking in iron/copper or anything. I'd be tempted to get bloods run just to see if he's running low anywhere or showing signs of viruses etc

Breagha

Visit site
I would 2nd getting bloods done. My horse was a bit lethargic end of march start od April but put it down to her being sweaty when worked etc but eventually got bloods and she had a few things raised. She was put on haemo tonic to help as she must have been fighting an infection.

spacefaer

Visit site
Could be anaemic?

I took on an event horse that looked fabulous - fit, shiny coat, bright eye etc. When we put him under pressure - taking him xc for example, he ran out of steam halfway round the course. ... think trying to drop back to trot in front of BE Intermediate fences (!).
Had him blood tested and he was seriously anaemic.

mcgreggor

Visit site
Thanks all. He’s definitely not being bullied – lives in an established herd of 5 and he’s no.2 in the hierarchy. He was flat out this morning when I went to fetch my Shetland in. I’ve been recommended to try him on red cell so will see if that helps, then next step I’ll get his bloods done and might as well cushings test too – is the lab work still free? It was last year when I had my Shetland done.