pony nuts and laminitis

benson21

Visit site
Hopefully we are at the end of a bout of laminitis for my sec b, he is now getting very very bored standing in his stable! Are there any pony nuts that are suitable for laminitics that I can put in his treat ball? Just to give him something to do?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
1544992258476.png

obv not nuts but thought the list might help, I'm sure he'd love bits of celery in his treat ball ;), Peanut shells would work quite well ;)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think hilton herballs are ok too?
I'm trying to remember the spec on the equimins treats too, I know they don't have molasses in at least.
and of course agrobs do treats too that may well fit, depends on your treat ball! The equimins are quite chunky compared to the other two.

pony nuts aren't really my forte

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
well that'll be why your treat balls don't last long then ;)

you didn't specify that, I'd hate for someone to feed them dry by mistake.

OP Simple Systems sell timothy cubes I think, also not sure it Baileys High Fibre cubes would be a no no?

I didn't mean that the ball itself doesn't last long, just that the boredom breaker effect doesn't last long unless you put masses of nuts in them, which I guess OP doesn't want to do. Not sure why it would be ok to feed hi-fibre/timothy nuts dry but not Weisencobs. They are very loosely packed and fall apart easily, without soaking.

We feed them individually dry as treats but do add water if they are a bucket-feed. they don't swell up as much as ordinary grassnuts, though.

Archangel

Visit site
I would check the sugar/starch in the cubes some are shockingly bad. These are the combined figures.

Agrobs Weisencobs 8.2% :)
Simple System Timothy Cubes Haycare 9% :)

Baileys High Fibre 19%
Dodson & Horrell High Fibre 18.5%
Spillers High Fibre 14.5%
Spillers Pony Cubes 20.5% o_O
Top Spec Fibre Cubes 12%

Is you pony PPID?

Ponygirl777

Visit site
Thunderbrook Hay Cobs are very low sugar and starch and can be fed soaked, or unsoaked as treats.
Hopefully we are at the end of a bout of laminitis for my sec b, he is now getting very very bored standing in his stable! Are there any pony nuts that are suitable for laminitics that I can put in his treat ball? Just to give him something to do?

Nasicus

Visit site
I've used the Heucobs (Haycobs) from Kramer for years as treats in balls or via hand. Never in a feed as they're very compressed and hard, so they need to chew them, but the girls love them, and they really do take longer to get through them than they do others like Bailey High Fibre nuggets.

Info on the packet:
"Complete feed for horses | A quality product from Upper Bavaria in Germany – Compressed Hay Cobs (dust-free) made of the very best meadow grass from the Bavarian foothills. Soaking not necessary, dry feeding encourages thorough chewing and insalivation. Feeding instructions: As a hay replacement: Daily 0,5–1 kg Hay Cobs per 100 kg body weight. As a complete feed in the case of unsatisfactory hay quality: Daily approx. 1,3 kg Hay Cobs per 100 kg body weight. Composition: 100 % meadow hay"

https://www.kramer.co.uk/Horse/Horse-Feed-Supplements/Hard-Feed-Forage/Hay-Cobs

I also like to stuff some hay in their treat balls, to slow down the rate at which they drop out, making them work harder and the ball last longer :)