Pony Pawing

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
He's now eight (I think, I lose track) and when tied up in pretty much any situation, as soon as he's bored he starts pawing.

He paws to get attention. To show his displeasure. To show impatience.

Whilst he's been backed I've been too heavy for him, so he's spent a lot of time being a large pet lawnmower, however that's going to change - we're both going to lose some weight and get fit and he's going to join the world of the working horse, which I think he'll enjoy whether he likes it or not :D

Anyhoo, whilst I'm fine and dandy with the rest of his education, and will get in the experts if I get stuck, the pawing is the one thing I've not been able to crack.

He's unshod and he doesn't do any damage per se, other than a bit of paint off my lorry, but he does need to stop before he gets a leg caught up on something. Plus more work means more time being tied up and being away from the others. He may well start to wear the hoof.

I think there's some Aldi chocolate left, though it's not the best it goes fine with a large mug of coffee :cool::D

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
That’s weird my 8 yr old mare has started pawing when tied up outside the stable....she is stabled next to and opposite horses who paw so I’m thinking learned behaviour as other people give those horses attention when they paw whereas I try to ignore. I d be interested in any solutions too.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
How odd!

Admittedly he's pretty much always done it and I've had him since he was five months old. He was always kept because I just loved his wee face. I always had a 'big horse' as well, until I lost my ID eighteen months ago or so. Haven't had the strength to buy another and I really should do something with Titch. He likes people, he likes doing things, but he can be a rude bobber so it's back to the basics, including this blinking pawing!

dotty1

Visit site
I have same problem ànd it drives me nuts!!!. Starts as soon as tied up outside. I have tried ignoring it, and reprimanding but as soon as I turn away she starts again.
Even does it whilst being washed or groomed. Doesn't do in stable.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Granny horse did pawing. I think I just got better at sidestepping frustrating situations in the end! I think it's where I got my probably bad habit of always having a haynet in front of them when threy are tied up... which I'm currently trying to wean myself off as FGS they're fat enough already. ?

No help at all sorry. Just sympathy.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ah, you see this wee lad won't be stabled so we don't have it in there :oops::D He used to love his stable. Had to be dragged out of it, then moved to another yard and there and ever after he just will not be stabled. Even the vets when he was colicing said have him outside in a diddy paddock. He's fine to go in the stable with, just goes bonkers and over the door or through the wall, even when next to his pal.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Granny horse did pawing. I think I just got better at sidestepping frustrating situations in the end! I think it's where I got my probably bad habit of always having a haynet in front of them when threy are tied up... which I'm currently trying to wean myself off as FGS they're fat enough already. ?

No help at all sorry. Just sympathy.

Hm... Haynet... They always have one when travelling and he'll still do it, but that might be excitement overriding everything else. Don't think I've been tying him up with one. Can't actually remember! He just reminded me of it when I wasn't quick enough with their feed yesterday before the paddock was moved out. Paw paw paw! And it's in such a stroppy "Pay attention to me!" manner as well. He doesn't get anything in response to the pawing so I'm at a loss as to how to stop it, other than possibly hay when tied up. Need to put up a good tie-up bar at the field. Will do it so a haynet can be easily tied up and will report back!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
My now 2 year old paws when he’s eating food. A habit learnt from my old pony who was his nanny when he first arrived! Although she only paws when food is coming, not when it is in front of her. Him on the other hand will paw the entire time he’s eating, I have to put the bucket in a tyre otherwise he kicks it about the place! (He has also managed to fling the tyre too!). So definitely following this thread!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I think you have to think the issue through in logical steps -
1. Why is he doing it?
Horses in the wild paw for various reasons - removing snow from grass, finding minerals, testing the ground before walking on it or rolling, for example.
With yours it sounds as though it is either frustrated movement or food related.
2. Can you avoid the tying up situation?
Do you need to tie him - could he be left in a stable/pen or fenced off bit of the field instead. Do you need him to stand there for a long time unattended - if so, why?
And is someone with him - grooming him or whatever? If so they could tell him off, but also remember to praise him when he stands still.
3. Can you meet his needs?
If you have to tie him up is he better in company, do you have another horse you could tie him near? Would a haynet help (small holed to make it more of a challenge).
4. How to reduce harm caused.
You say you are worried about him wearing his hooves - why not pop rubber matting down under the tie place? THat also removes the satisfying noise he will be making. Or hoof boots on him, maybe. If you are worried about him pulling back/breaking away, you can get headcollars/bungee lead ropes and other tie up devices other than baler string to make it safer.

My final suggestion - have him stuffed. Taxidermied horses seldom paw, can do piaffe for a long time, and are cheap to keep.

Bernster

Visit site
Mine does this too. Since I first got him. He does it when he’s anxious or bored or gets hosed down, ie stuff he doesn’t want to do. I’ve not been able to sort it, just reduce the likelihood of him doing it. He’s better than he was but I don’t think I’ll crack it.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Hm... The taxidermy option has an appeal...

He's rarely tied up. Does it in the field when stood next to his mate if he thinks I'm meant to be doing something. Does it if he doesn't want to do something.

Think I'm going back to the taxidermy idea ?

oldie48

Visit site
I've stopped a couple of mine pawing in the stable (usually in annticipation of food) with a quick squirt of a water pistol. I'd be a bit worried about using on a pony that was tied up though but you could use a breakable tie. It also stops the dog barking at the gate provided he's in range. I'll probably get loads of abuse for suggesting it but I was totally amazed at how effective it was.

PSD

Visit site
My last mare used to do it.

plain and simple- she was an impatient brat ?. “Give me food”, “give me attention”, “do not leave me standing here for longer than 10 seconds”....you get the idea. She also pawed whilst eating, mostly resulting in her knocking her food everywhere and scrounging it off the floor.

greygirlie

Visit site
As soon as he starts pawing, very calmly make him work on the ground. Back him up, turn him in small circles - anything which is hard work for him and makes him move his feet. Tie him up. If he paws, repeat. Make being tied up a good place to be, somewhere he can rest. No emotion, no raised voices, no haynet as a reward, just untie him and make him work harder than he might want to. Won't take him long to get the idea. Tied up is rest, pawing means work.
But, and it's a big but, you have to be totally consistent. Never ignore the unacceptable behaviour. Make it his decision not to paw.

Ruftysdad

Visit site
My 27 year old still does it when he gets bored. However as he is arthritic it is now a gentle token paw, a few inches off the ground rather than a fully bent leg.
Never been able to stop it whatever tactics I tried. Decided he had an ultra short boredom threshold

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
As soon as he starts pawing, very calmly make him work on the ground. Back him up, turn him in small circles - anything which is hard work for him and makes him move his feet. Tie him up. If he paws, repeat. Make being tied up a good place to be, somewhere he can rest. No emotion, no raised voices, no haynet as a reward, just untie him and make him work harder than he might want to. Won't take him long to get the idea. Tied up is rest, pawing means work.
But, and it's a big but, you have to be totally consistent. Never ignore the unacceptable behaviour. Make it his decision not to paw.

Thank you. Will give it a good go and report back!

And if it doesn't work there's always the taxidermy ?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site

The trouble with this idea is that some horses paw because they want to move - so this is actually what they want, they like work and action. Not all horses want to 'rest'. And you may well be training him to train you (keep up at the back! ;)) to pay him attention when he's bored by pawing...