Pony price for a cob. Unsure what to advise.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
RDA groups are not all the same. The group I am involved with the ponies live out in stable groups all year round. The small ponies and oldies only work for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning. The larger ponies and horses get hacked out, on the common, by the volunteers during the week and there are three morning sessions a week for RDA riders. Most riders get taken out on the common, as well as some work around the premises and in the large outdoor arena. There is an indoor for really wet weather and nearly all the carriage driving is done on the common.
The one I helped at, the horses did at least 4 hours a day in the school.With flailing vulnerable riders on board. Never would I put a horse of mine through that. Each RDA is different, but I lost trust, and I was a coach. Tried two other groups, no better, gave up. ??

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
The one I helped at, the horses did at least 4 hours a day in the school.With flailing vulnerable riders on board. Never would I put a horse of mine through that. Each RDA is different, but I lost trust, and I was a coach. Tried two other groups, no better, gave up. ??
Like I said, not all groups are the same.

chaps89

Visit site
She sounds like a type everyone is wanting so I don't she will struggle to find a good home.
Might be a bit contraversal but if buyers pay decent money for a purchase they are more likely to guard their investment. That sounds callous but you know what I mean.
Not necessarily true - I’ve never spent more than £1400 (admittedly I haven’t bought since covid and all the prices shot up) but they have absolutely been well loved and wanted for nothing.
It’s fairly easy for me to afford the costs of one, less so to save the funds to buy one (particularly in todays market!)

chaps89

Visit site
Hi. My good friend helps to run a riding school. They don’t have a schooling ring. So the ponies hack out for miles every day across the fields. Due to her semi retirement.. the owner is looking to sell her own pony .. She’s a 13.3hh med weight cob. Age 9. She’s not a flashy type. Prob never done any dressage ?. Will trot over poles. Lunges. Has had kids up on lead rein. Grandchildren on her. Been dressed up for fancy dress. She is what she is. Good points .. fab to hack out. Not sharp or silly. Rides in ALL weathers. Will pop a small log. But never really jumped. As she only rides out with others, likes the company of another equine. I don’t know if she will go out alone. She doesn’t head shake. She does wear a nose net when pollen high when out on the rides. She’s perfect for a happy hacker owner who can go with others from the yard or perhaps daughter ? She also likes company in the fields as they are all turned out together. Would include all tack and rugs. We’re Suffolk/Essex border. So prices are higher. She was thinking 800 pounds. But I’m sure she’s worth more than that. Any advice I can give to her would be lovely. View attachment 92509
She is a tricky sort of height, too small for a lot of adults to consider and most kids needing a pony that size are ready for the speedier ones.
I think you were right to advise your friend 3.5k, especially if it includes tack that fits but I’d say the £5k some people are quoting seems steep even in todays market, without any schooling whatsoever and untried solo hacking.

exracehorse

Visit site
I have so
She is a tricky sort of height, too small for a lot of adults to consider and most kids needing a pony that size are ready for the speedier ones.
I think you were right to advise your friend 3.5k, especially if it includes tack that fits but I’d say the £5k some people are quoting seems steep even in todays market, without any schooling whatsoever and untried solo hacking.
thank you. Apparently she’s done some basic schooling. Goes over trot poles etc. goes solo on the fields by the yard. Just hasn’t gone out on the roads by ‘herself’. As a happy hacker with others .. she’s really good. Great with traffic. And rides in all weathers. Rides throughout the whole winter days. She’s a pretty mare. Owner wants a good home. She had no idea of value. I agree that 800 pounds is too cheap. I advised her 3,500. See what response she gets. She’s a chunky sort so takes the leg. Owner said she’d take much less though to the right home.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Please don't consider the RDA option, those ponies lead a very busy, boring life, I was a volunteer for many years and always felt sorry for the ponies ?

Well, I can't speak for all RDA groups but the ponies that I volunteer with certainly don't lead a very busy boring life! They live out all year round, unless there is a very good reason for them not to do so, on a farm with cattle and sheep. They work 2 evenings per week, in Summer, with no more than 2 riders each, riding for at most 3/4hr and occasional sessions for individuals during the day.
The farm used to be a RS as well, so the ponies lived a varied life, teaching riders of varied abilities, hunting, showing and sjing, as family ponies. Now they are exercised by family members, as the RS closed several years ago, so they don't do any more non-RDA work than any family pony would do and minimal RDA work.
We are in Yorkshire too, so no use to OP.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Well, I can't speak for all RDA groups but the ponies that I volunteer with certainly don't lead a very busy boring life! They live out all year round, unless there is a very good reason for them not to do so, on a farm with cattle and sheep. They work 2 evenings per week, in Summer, with no more than 2 riders each, riding for at most 3/4hr and occasional sessions for individuals during the day.
The farm used to be a RS as well, so the ponies lived a varied life, teaching riders of varied abilities, hunting, showing and sjing, as family ponies. Now they are exercised by family members, as the RS closed several years ago, so they don't do any more non-RDA work than any family pony would do and minimal RDA work.
We are in Yorkshire too, so no use to OP.
All three centres I worked at were in Durham/ Yorkshire ?

Kaylum

Visit site
RDA dont have a lot of money the one near us got my friends big cob for £1,000 they want bigger horses rather than smaller ones. The RDA near us is also a riding school so they combine the two.