Pony putting head down!

Leyahs2003

Visit site
Hi all, just wanted some advice on an issue I’ve been having. So I’ve had my 20 year old, ex riding school pony for almost 2 years now and we’ve been having a whale of a time. However, I’ve noticed that during every since ride (including both hacking and schooling) he puts his head down so the reins are forced out of my hands. He usually does it during the end of the ride. I’ve read that he could be “rooting” and that it’s common to see in school ponies but I also saw that it could be due to discomfort. We’ve bought a saddle and it’s been checked so I don’t think it is the saddle. I was wondering if anyone’s had any experiences with this also, and if there’s any underlying issues or hes just being a typical riding school pony? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If it’s towards the end of a ride it’s often an exhibition of tiredness. I often lengthen the reins at the end of a ride for the last 5/10 mins to allow the horse to stretch their neck out and start to relax and stretch out their muscles.

JackFrost

Visit site
You do see this a lot in riding school ponies. At some schools they are encouraged at the end of a lesson to put their heads down on a long rein to stretch and relax after working. Some ponies do it mid lesson, it can be as a way of taking back control and/or getting relief against being worked hard and hollow by novice riders. You say you are having a whale of a time, and I wonder if this is at the expense of working him correctly and smoothly through his back. When you ride him, in the school or out, allow him stretching time, but at your choosing not his. Ask yourself if you are riding him a bit tight and upright, and if you can change your way of riding so he moves in a way that is better for him. Remember that he is not young. I would also get a physio to look him over for tightness and stiffness. It may be something that you can improve, but your focus will need to be on working him correctly, not just having fun!

Skib

sites.google.com
I am a hacker of RS ponies and it seems I am rather cruel compared to H&H riders. If any horse puts its head down out hacking it may well be to grab food (grass). If my RS horse leant on the reins I would take that as a sign my contact was too strong and I would relax my hands.
After that if the head went down on a loose rein, I would pull strongly with one rein only and hold a short rein for about 3 steps, then relax it. The message to the pony was, If you pull you will be held on a short firm rein for 3 steps. If I asked once it was often ignored but a second time of asking (reminding) was always enough for my mare.

Leyahs2003

Visit site
You do see this a lot in riding school ponies. At some schools they are encouraged at the end of a lesson to put their heads down on a long rein to stretch and relax after working. Some ponies do it mid lesson, it can be as a way of taking back control and/or getting relief against being worked hard and hollow by novice riders. You say you are having a whale of a time, and I wonder if this is at the expense of working him correctly and smoothly through his back. When you ride him, in the school or out, allow him stretching time, but at your choosing not his. Ask yourself if you are riding him a bit tight and upright, and if you can change your way of riding so he moves in a way that is better for him. Remember that he is not young. I would also get a physio to look him over for tightness and stiffness. It may be something that you can improve, but your focus will need to be on working him correctly, not just having fun!
Oh no, when I say that we’re having a whale of a time, I mean that I’m enjoying having him as my pony! We get lessons from my aunt every so often so he’s being worked efficiently. Thank you for your advice, though!

Leyahs2003

Visit site
I am a hacker of RS ponies and it seems I am rather cruel compared to H&H riders. If any horse puts its head down out hacking it may well be to grab food (grass). If my RS horse leant on the reins I would take that as a sign my contact was too strong and I would relax my hands.
After that if the head went down on a loose rein, I would pull strongly with one rein only and hold a short rein for about 3 steps, then relax it. The message to the pony was, If you pull you will be held on a short firm rein for 3 steps. If I asked once it was often ignored but a second time of asking (reminding) was always enough for my mare.
Yes, that’s a great tactic! I’ll give that a try, thank you!!

windand rain

Visit site
You need a qualified and experienced trainer to work out why he is doing it and move on from there to either stronger tactics to get rid of the habit or a vet to work out why. I am not dissing your Aunt but if she hasn't the answer then you need someone more observant or experienced

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A good way to stop our pony pulling you forward is to open your hands wider, if he starts to drop his head. Then you can push him forward with your seat and legs.

Leyahs2003

Visit site
A good way to stop our pony pulling you forward is to open your hands wider, if he starts to drop his head. Then you can push him forward with your seat and legs.
Yes, I’ve started doing that and he’s learning that he can’t put his head down otherwise he gets worked harder