Pony reacting odd when rugging and tacking up - any ideas???

Blondie1

Visit site
I used the horse and hound forum a few years ago when I have problems with an old pony and found everyone to be a great help. Now I am back again with a new pony and have come across something with him that I am puzzled with.

Basically he has started to shoot forward/spook when either his saddle has been put on and girth tightened or when I have put a rug on. He does it after it has been put on and it normally happens when he takes a step forward. After walking for say 10-20 steps he is then fine.

Can anyone shed some light on why he may be doing this please?

A bit of history of him which may help.

I have only had him since February 2014
He always tries to turn away from me/hide when I come near him with saddle or bridle.
I have just changed his saddle about 2 weeks ago and this new saddle was very noisy (creaky) which I thought might have been the issue of the shooting forward as he spooks at noises coming from behind him. So I have now as of last night reverted back to his other saddle.
He has just moved yards 3/4weeks ago but was always reluctant to have bridle and saddle on at old yard too.
The shooting forward after his rug has been fitted has only just started a week ago.

I really hope someone can suggest why he might be doing this. I have run my finger down his back and cannot see any sore spots.

Thanks in advance
Clare x

DiNozzo

Visit site
I'd think so yeah, horses can be quite easily distracted/ coping with is probably a better way of putting it, by low-mid pain ranges if its consistent, the tacking up might represent to them a spike in pain, followed by a drop, so the pony would be grumpy and want to run away from the tack, but then once its on be fine.

catroo

Visit site
I'd also go with pain somewhere and would get a vet work up with physio to follow, was the saddles professionally fitted?

I wouldn't ride until given the all clear and unless he really needs a fly rug then leave rugs off also

Blondie1

Visit site
I have the vet coming out in the next week or so for his booster so should I ask for him to be scoped? or are there any other tests they can do to check if its ulcers?

DiNozzo

Visit site
Personally I'd just start him on GastroGard... Lots of people will shoot me down for this, but as along as it isn't hind gut ulcers, omeprazole will have an effect.
I would also get the ususal checks done- back/teeth/physio/saddler/check that the bridle and bit fits too.
Watch him carefully and try to look for ways to reduce stress.

Blondie1

Visit site
I read that you need a prescription for Gastrogard so will need the vets to do that anyway.
I think I will get the vets to assess things when they visit and in the meantime give him some time off.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I thought it had to be pain related but never experienced a horse to react like this from wearing a rug! : (

Fingers crossed for him x

Auslander

Visit site
I'd get the saddle looked at very carefully - it shouldn't be creaking! It does sound like pain, or fear of pain. The rug thing could be because his saddle hurts him, therefore he thinks anything on his back is going to hurt him.

Wouldn't personally put a horse on Gastroguard without having it scoped, or it having a lot more ulcer symptoms. At 25/30 quid a syringe, it's an expensive way to figure out if ulcers are the problem. You could try slippery elm - thats what my ulcer-y horse has, and his symptoms are greatly reduced.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Classic ulcer symptoms!

Sorry but this absolutely^^^
My horse was diagnosed with these in march. He was throwing himself about when I tried to girth up. The good news is, if it is gastric ulcers they are easily treated. My boy was scoped clear 2 weeks ago after having had grade 2 and 3 ulcers.

Blondie1

Visit site
Another vote for ulcers, he's doing *exactly* what mine did - even down to taking off like a scalded cat once when I did his rug surcingles up. Does he sometimes object to being groomed as well?

Yes he has just all of a sudden started to hate being groomed. He is extra spooky too.

I walked towards him tonight with a tub of sudocrem and he backed away acting as if I was going to kill him!

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Yes he has just all of a sudden started to hate being groomed. He is extra spooky too.

I walked towards him tonight with a tub of sudocrem and he backed away acting as if I was going to kill him!

Aw bless him....my vet says if their tummy is sore with ulcers they can be spooky and looky as they are trying to "protect" the tummy from anything that might touch it.

Blondie1

Visit site
Aw bless him....my vet says if their tummy is sore with ulcers they can be spooky and looky as they are trying to "protect" the tummy from anything that might touch it.

Ulcers just didn't cross my mind but now it kind of all makes sense.

Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable / happier until the vet can come out?

Thanks everyone x

kinnygirl1

Visit site

Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable / happier until the vet can come out?

Thanks everyone x

If it is ulcers really only the gastro gard can actually heal them but I have heard there are some herbal remedies that can ease them. Slippery elm, meadowsweet, sea buckthorn and aloe Vera are meant to be good but I haven't tried them.

Asha

Visit site
I would get a vet / physio to check out first. My lad does this when he has hurt his back ( he is prone to pulling muscles in his back end ) I know instantly when he has done something, as the minute i put his rug on he scoots forward. (He has been Xrayed and vet checked all over)

As for just giving gastroguard - dont. It will cost a fortune. best bet is to find out what the cause is first. If vet/phsio cant find a problem with back/lameness then ask for the horse to be scoped. That cost me about £150, ( which is a fraction of the cost of gastroguard) as i was convinced another of ours had ulcers. As she was sensitive to touch too. Turns out shes just sensitive.

Good luck

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I would speak to/get the vet out before you start medicating him yourself. It could be ulcers, but it could be a number of other things, sore back, saddle pain etc. Better to find out the source properly first.

catroo

Visit site

Thanks everyone x

I wouldn't medicate myself but I would get the vet out in the next day or so

Blondie1

Visit site
I am hoping to get a vet out for him for Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

And for now no rugs or riding until I know for sure what is wrong.

CarolineJ

Visit site
If you can get the vet that fast then not much to be done in the meantime really :) Is he turned out or stabled? Make sure there's always some forage available to nibble on and if it does turn out to be ulcers, you might need to look at his diet - get him off anything sugar-y or with cereals in it. Finn's now finished his ulcer treatment, but I've kept him on Protexin Acid Ease which has worked really well for him.

Blondie1

Visit site
If you can get the vet that fast then not much to be done in the meantime really :) Is he turned out or stabled? Make sure there's always some forage available to nibble on and if it does turn out to be ulcers, you might need to look at his diet - get him off anything sugar-y or with cereals in it. Finn's now finished his ulcer treatment, but I've kept him on Protexin Acid Ease which has worked really well for him.

Just arranged for the vet to come out tomorrow which is great. He's stabled at night and turned out during the day and always has plenty to eat. I don't agree with horses going long periods without something to munch on!

Lets hope we can get to the bottom of this soon and get him better, whatever it may be.

He only has a handful of apple hifi to mix his Sarc Ex into. Is that too much sugar for him?

CarolineJ

Visit site
It's very much a trial and error thing. One of mine breaks out in eczema-type lumps if fed anything with molasses in it (and one Spillers treat a day was enough to do it) and the other one (the one who had ulcers) couldn't tolerate garlic or alfalfa, which I think is what hifi is partly made of? I currently use Speedibeet, which they both seem to be fine on, but I know of other horses who don't get on with it at all.

Good luck with the vet tomorrow, let us know how it goes :)