pony reared up in wagon

jumpingjoy

Visit site
:conf:eek:used:
Good afternoon !

Took my daughters pony out this weekend traveld there fine. Loaded him up to come home, got in the wagon to set off and he had reared up and got one leg stuck on the tack lockers. So we had to fight with him to get his leg down set off again ten mins down road did it agian (new party trick) which resulted in me traveling in the back with him no problems.
I hate the thought of this hapening every time we go out, would ideally like to send him or have someone come to us to help with this. We are in leeds west yorkshire if anyone can recomend somebody.
He has traveld before and can stomp about abit before setting off but once moving he was fine but i think now he has learnt to do this he is going to do it again. We also have a trailer which he has been in on his own and with company never a problem when traveling with another horse (wagon/trailer).
I am now worried about taking him out again, i have registerd my daughter with bsja and nobody else competes off our yard so he needs to get used to the idea he is going to have to travel alone.

jumpingjoy

Visit site
Thanks will have to try that. Also has anybody tried tying under the breast bar in a trailer aswell as your normal tying up just to try stop them from rearing. Have never tried it but i just read it on another page has this worked for you ?

OWLIE185

Visit site
Without sounding unkind I would also check that it is not your driving that is setting him off. Have you thoroughly checked the floor of the trailer from both the top and underside of the floor? (Yes I am afraid that aluminium floors can rot as well as wooden ones). You could see if he travels better without a partition.

ladyt25

Visit site
This is one reason I don't like tack lockers in the horse area of wagons. I am assuming he's travelling herringbone style? I think I would try the cross tying to start with and see if that helps. Has he got enough room - if not maybe he feels a little claustrophobic and squished against the locker? I am just thinking whether something specific caused him to go up and then he thought "hey, this is a neat trick". Has he travelled without issue in the wagon prior to this?

I have never had tack lockers in the back of a wagon so i am not sure what the answer is and whether he's doing it out of fear or because hs thinks he can get out. What are your partitions like - are there headboards blocking his view either side? If not and it's just a bar he may be thinking he can get through!

Is there any chance you can try him in a wagon without tack lockers and see what he does? Maybe if you can put him in one without and he travels fine he may get out of the habit.

Difficult one really. I don't really have an answer sorry!!!