Pony rears

showaddy1

Visit site
I have been sold a pony that rears, with no disclosure of such. Worse still, bought through an acquaintance who knew pony was for my eight years old son.
Only came to light as son refuses to ride pony so I've advertised her, and first viewing the little mare went vertical.
Is there anything I can do about this, or is it a case of lesson learnt... Please note, pony is obviously no longer for sale. I couldn't risk anyone being hurt.

be positive

Visit site
Your post is not very clear, was the pony fine when you tried it then reared/ played up when home so your son wont ride her then was worse when another child tried her, or was it at the viewing she reared for the first time, one off behaviour can be for many reasons, a childs pony should not rear but if it is in pain then it may have genuine reason to object, I would go back to the seller and find out more before writing her off as a rearer.
She may have a sharp tooth, an unsuitable bit, the child may have grabbed hold and frightened her, I am fairly unforgiving of a small pony behaving badly but will give benefit of the doubt when I don't have the full picture.

showaddy1

Visit site
Sorry, friend knew I was looking for a pony for son... So bought pony as thought a 'friend' wouldn't hide any dangerous vices.
Turns out she has hospitalised a child previously. I'm selling/ was selling as son never settled on her, never reared on the few months we have owned her, but neither has she done very much.
Was a little skittish occasionally, assumed she wanted to be back out with her mates in the field.

GirlFriday

Visit site
A perfectly safe pony can hospitalise a child - some falls are just unlucky. Was it definitely rearing that caused the previous child to be hurt?

At this point in time you've no idea why the pony reared, as be positive said it may well be nothing to do with 'vice' but something about the way the viewer rode and/or pain.

WandaMare

Visit site
From what you have said it is not definite that the pony was a rearer before she came to you, it could be due to the change in circumstances, less work, new people, new tack possibly. They can do funny things when before they settle properly in a new home. I would ask someone experienced to school her and and get a more thorough picture of whats going on. My pony reared once when I put my young nephew on his back, he had been fine when other children had ridden him. He had never done it with me even when I broke him in and never did it again since. You haven't mentioned the age of the pony but if she is younger then hopefully there is still possibly the potential to re-school and sell on to a more suitable rider. I wouldn't give up on her yet.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
you don't say what checks have been done?

Has it got all new tack since you've brought her home? does it fit correctly?
When did she last have her back and teeth checked?

Assumed that you didn't have a her vetted? If you did, did the vet pick up any issues?

I would rule out pain before deciding that she is dangerous! if all pain checks are fine, I would get a competent small adult to school her and try and work through the rearing issues to see if she is just trying it on because she knows the kids cannot handle it and she gets out of work by behaving like that!

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would ask the previous owner to ride her in the tack they had for the pony.
You are very wise not allowing your child to ride this pony.