Pony reminds me why a hi-viz coat is not enough!

BBP

Visit site
I am a hi-viz obsessive, I admit it. I would much rather look like an OTT fluorescent Christmas tree than risk my horse getting injured because someone didn't see me. I led the pony to the gate this morning with me decked out in high viz relective coat and hat band, pony has his chest thingy on. (Gate leads directly onto a road with just enough space to turn and lock gate without being on the road)

I hear the car coming so keep pony tucked into the gateway and after it has passed I move the mounting block closer to the pony. In rubbish luck I just catch his leg with the block just as a silent bike flys up the road. Pony obviously thinks the bike has bitten his leg and launches forwards, ripping the reins out of my hands and galloping off along the road, hotly pursued by the cyclist, who obviously has more important places to be and isn't at all disconcerted by the loose horse racing wild eyed in front of him.

I screamed multiple times for the bike to stop which eventually he did, right as my beloved pony was charging towards a blind cross roads. As soon as the bike stopped the pony did too, convinced that it had been chasing him but desperate for me to come and rescue him.

So the point of the story is that:
a) i bloody love that horse and his close shave has aged me 10 years
b) whilst the oncoming cars could quite easily see my hi viz, and as such would have seen us had I been on him, my horse was near as dammit invisible as he ran along with a background of hedges. I could barely see him, let alone an unsuspecting car. I can never see him in the field when he is stood by the hedge. Even on the yard he is not the sort of horse that shows up well.
IMAG0388.jpg

c) I should make sure I dress him all year round in a way that gives him a chance of being seen if we ever part company. This is our usual attire for hacking in the winter or crossing the road to the arena in the dark.
IMAG0014.jpg

I won't ever feel like I have to justify my dayglow pony again. Im lucky there wasn't a serious accident.

Buds_mum

Visit site
Love this post, not because of the story, so glad you and pony are ok btw!! But because it just goes to show.

I get laughed at for my horses hi viz, summer, winter, bright days, dull days. He always has minimum hi viz front boots on and nose band cover.

But I also think he needs more on. On a dull/gloomy day he wears back boots and a tail guard or his sheet. It makes a massive difference.

Yes it can look ott, but I have learned to ignore the snide comments, I cannot imagine the feeling of having my horse hit by a car and need to know I have done everything I can to protect him.

11201_10152192609519989_883192364_n.jpg

Looking at your pic he sooo needs a hi viz numnah!!!! :D

babymare

Visit site
Wow what a awfull experience BUT you are both ok and thats what matters. im a high viz fanatic to which im glad to say i passed on to my daughter from early age. Shout with high viz "can you see me" cause it does make a difference :)

Holabalu

New User
Visit site
Glad you and your horse are both ok! I always make sure I'm wearing hi-vis when hacking on the roads. Always better to be safe then sorry! :)

Micky

Visit site
It is so scary when you suddenly come upon a horse and rider, on a dull day and you are nearly up their backsides before you see them...because they aren't wearing anything bright or hi viz at all! Dark clothes, dark hat, dark bay...all because they think its uncool to wear hi viz! The few people I have spoken to about it, hurrump at me like I'm a numpty.. unbelievable! I deck out in a pink hiviz jacket, horse has yellow hi viz sheet...used to have a flashing lights jacket but it broke..really need purple and green for legs and tail and i would be said xmas tree....
I'm sob glad your horse is ok, could have been nasty.

BBP

Visit site
Thanks. It has brought home that visibility on the horse from front, back and side views is important where I live. Most riders round here wear tabards but as I've found out, horse and rider don't always stay together as planned.

putasocinit

Visit site
I was going to the stables at 6.45 the other morning when there was no fog and i actually decided not to hack because i was blinded by the sun and i though even with hi viz on i wouldnt be seen. Glad you are okay.

catherine22

Visit site
I am a hi-viz obsessive, I admit it. I would much rather look like an OTT fluorescent Christmas tree than risk my horse getting injured because someone didn't see me. I led the pony to the gate this morning with me decked out in high viz relective coat and hat band, pony has his chest thingy on. (Gate leads directly onto a road with just enough space to turn and lock gate without being on the road)

I hear the car coming so keep pony tucked into the gateway and after it has passed I move the mounting block closer to the pony. In rubbish luck I just catch his leg with the block just as a silent bike flys up the road. Pony obviously thinks the bike has bitten his leg and launches forwards, ripping the reins out of my hands and galloping off along the road, hotly pursued by the cyclist, who obviously has more important places to be and isn't at all disconcerted by the loose horse racing wild eyed in front of him.

I screamed multiple times for the bike to stop which eventually he did, right as my beloved pony was charging towards a blind cross roads. As soon as the bike stopped the pony did too, convinced that it had been chasing him but desperate for me to come and rescue him.

So the point of the story is that:
a) i bloody love that horse and his close shave has aged me 10 years
b) whilst the oncoming cars could quite easily see my hi viz, and as such would have seen us had I been on him, my horse was near as dammit invisible as he ran along with a background of hedges. I could barely see him, let alone an unsuspecting car. I can never see him in the field when he is stood by the hedge. Even on the yard he is not the sort of horse that shows up well.
IMAG0388.jpg

c) I should make sure I dress him all year round in a way that gives him a chance of being seen if we ever part company. This is our usual attire for hacking in the winter or crossing the road to the arena in the dark.
IMAG0014.jpg

I won't ever feel like I have to justify my dayglow pony again. Im lucky there wasn't a serious accident.

Where is your nunmah from, I need one!! I did have the equisafety polite one but it kept slipping back. Infact I think its still in a cupboard somewhere!

JFTDWS

Visit site
That's why I rarely wear hi vis, but Fergs does! I'm more worried about him getting loose just like that. (v glad your lovely lad is ok, btw!)

It looks like a Nags Rags hi vis saddle cloth? I want an orange one from them!

BBP

Visit site
Yep, nag rags I think. Great present from my sister. Think I might get a second so I have one to wear and one to wash.

He is doing fabulously in himself, thanks for asking ester. Full of bounce now the weather is cooler, no lethargy, dullness or weightloss (could do with a bit of that still!). Next blood test is 2 weeks today to see if being back in proper work is having any impact. I really hope not for the worse as he loves being worked and without it he gallops round his field anyway and is a monster!

tankgirl1

Visit site
Blimey! Glad to hear you are both OK! Only today I encountered a girl hacking on a national speed limit, windey, poor visibility country road that people fly over at 60mph, no high viz at all, and her pony spooked at me as I went past wide and slow! I spent most of the day worrying about them, only to drive the same road about 5 hrs later, and find them on it again! Presumably on the way home! I personally would never ride that road as I have had too many near misses with idiot drivers when in the car. And I never hack out without high vizzing us both up, even for off road hacking.

hnmisty

Visit site
I read somewhere that search and rescue pilots appreciate people decking their horses out in hi viz for the same reason... They can spot the rider glowing away, but as has been said, the bright stuff is usually all on the rider.

I think you need to get some stick on strips for his bum :D seriously though, great to see someone so visible!

Just wondering...how many people have hi viz gloves? I came up behind a cyclist a few months ago in the late dusk under trees. He was decked out in hi viz and lights... But none on his arms. The only reason I thought he might be turning was because I knew a bridle path was branching off to the right. Had I not, I could easily have splatted him.

Costypop

Visit site
Glad your both ok, I've had a horse bolt off down a road with no hi-vis on before after dumping me, we were going down the off road hacking opposite the yard but stuck on the gate, cue boncing and both of us almost killing ourselfs, that was with just crossing a very quite country lane, never hack without it! But that was so scarey the horse galloped flat out for 4miles!

Kaylum

Visit site
Mixing colours works well pink, orange, yellow. As for getting laughed at for wearing hi viz I cringe at those who don't they are putting My life at risk by not wearing any. Selfish people who think of nothing but themselves same for all road users especially cyclists. Glad your ok

WildRider

Visit site
Just wondering...how many people have hi viz gloves? I came up behind a cyclist a few months ago in the late dusk under trees. He was decked out in hi viz and lights... But none on his arms. The only reason I thought he might be turning was because I knew a bridle path was branching off to the right. Had I not, I could easily have splatted him.

I have V-bandz hi viz glove covers, because I wear different types (warmth level) of glove depending on the weather. Only ever seen one with hi viz on their hands that I can remember...

And OP, glad that you're both OK. :)