Pony rides at garden fetes

svincent

Visit site
The last time I did this was about 25 years ago and there were no health and safety implications back then!

I have been asked to take our pony to a charity garden fete and offer pony rides. She is very child-friendly, so she shouldn't (never say never!) be spooky or naughty and will not be allowed off the lead rein under any circumstances.

Is there anything else I should be aware of? I cannot provide riding hats, are these necessary for a two minute plod on a pony? Any other legal stuff I need to know? Our pony is now 18 and no longer insured and every care will be taken to ensure that there isn't an accident, but I can't predict what will happen on the day.

Give me your horror stories and your advice and I will weigh it all up before I say yes or no!

hussar

Visit site
A friend of mine who'd been trundling along with an aged pony to local fetes for years suddenly found a couple of years ago that she had to have third-party insurance. I forget what it was going to cost her but certainly more than she was expected to bring in with ride fees so she didn't go. Seems a terrible shame.

sea_view

Visit site
I would have thought you would need at least third party insurance - just to be on the safe side. People become very over-reactive when it comes to their children and it's just incase to cover your back
smile.gif

scribble

Visit site
you will need third party insurance and also i would have said the insuraance company would stipulate hats as it would be so easy for them to be liable if someone fell off. I know its awful to say but these days when osme say all to easy they will sue i would rather be covered. check with whoever is organising the Fete they may already have insurance and check what it says,

woolly

Visit site
This is a potential minefield. I suggest you ring a solicitors and ask a professional. Occupier's liability Act 1957 may shed some light, but I would be very careful. It is a shame as my parents used to take my pony many years ago no problems. I would think you might have to have public liability insurance... If there were an accident you might be seen as operating as a business even though its for charity. Best of luck and seek professional advice.
I am not legally qualified in anyway!

DuckToller

Visit site
I did pony rides at a school fete about 8 years ago. The PTA checked with their insurance and they were covered by their policy if they weren't charging for pony rides. So we charged a pound for a carrot and gave free pony rides. Not sure if that would work still but worth a shot.

I borrowed several hats and took them with me because I would not want to see any child riding without a hat, even for a few minutes.

D

Donkeymad

Not only must you have adequate insurance, but you must also have a Riding School Licence, even for just one day.

svincent

Visit site
OMG it is a minefield!! I have taken on board what you've said and I think I will pass. I hope it rains on the day and that will be as good an excuse as any!

My thanks to all of you. x

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Having done this a long time ago on my dear old plod (no longer with us), I would NEVER, EVER in a MILLION YEARS do it again!!! :( Dear God, NO!

For one thing, you get pestered non-stop by spoilt little kids who (1) have their own pony and want to ride someone elses out of curiosity and (2) kids who are slightly more deserving who ride occasionally at riding school. The poor kids who never get a ride, anywhere, are pushed to the back by these two groups and never get a look it.

When I said my pony had had enough and I was finishing the pony rides, I was inundated by rude, pushy parents who stuck their faces up to mine and demanded to know why I wasn't giving their child a ride (this was one of the pony-owning kids), when I said the horses had had enough, I was told that it was my duty to give rides to these kids as I'd (allegedly) promised that no-one would go away without getting a ride!!! When I pointed out that there were some kids there who had NEVER had the chance to ride and this was their only chance to, all the parents gave me and my friend (also giving rides on hers) a whole lot of verbal to the effect that we were selfish, uncaring, and "had promised".

So, never, ever again. Not then, not now, not ever. I was cajoled into it at the time, against my own better judgement. It wasn't fair to me, or the horse, and now in this ever-increasingly litigacious society one has the perfect excuse that the "insurance doesn't cover it". Its hard on the kids who never get a ride, but the others can take their spoilt, selfish kids to the local riding school, or better still, teach them to appreciate their own ponies and be grateful for what they've got.

Sorry about the rant ...... but my god, my patience was tested on that occasion like nothing else before or since.