pony screaming and stomping

jeruselem5

Visit site
hi,
a male pony has been let into the field next to my mare molly and the reaction is so loud and aggressive, like a scream and a stomp, do you think its because theyre in season or just an '' im in charge around here statement''
like a haunting screeech and a stomp!

heres a link to my video from yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m2gqafPWlY

thanks

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Its just a greeting usually between horses meeting for the first time until they get to know each other. My boy does it and it usually lasts four to five days then he doesnt bother even greeting the new one xD

Edited to add that the reaction isnt what id call aggressive at all, its not follwed up by flattened ears or her charging at the new horse trying to bite etc. or turning round threatening with hind end. They are just getting to know each other

Last edited:

jeruselem5

Visit site
hi,
nothing unusual then, just so aggressive from a normally happy go lucky pony, i thought she was going to jump the fence at one stage and didnt want her to hurt herself, it was like shed been possessed charging up and down!
hope shes calmed down a bit today.

edit: yes i know what you mean about the ears and turning around, she sprung up and kicked the fence from her front legs a few times before i recorded the clip thats why i wanted to try and coax her away, getting a bit too excited maybe.

Last edited:

Holzdweaver

Visit site
totally normal iv found, some horses do it, others just blow and show off, a new horse is very exciting! Darcy, my boy, goes through it all, he blows with neck arched looking rather proud, then he squeals and strikes out, sometimes more than once then he will take off round the field like a floating ballet dancer snorting and prancing with his head in the air and his tail over his back. Then if its really exciting, like the other horse starts prancing too, he will gallop round like a two year old playing 'im faster than you' games. Hes an old TB so shouldnt really be doing these things haha x

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I know im in for some entertainment when he sees a new horse and does the 'dragon snort' haha! And yet he is so good with other horses, can put him in or next to anything and he never kicks or bites unless of course hes cornered or its in play.

Archangel

Visit site
One of mine is a screamer and a stamper - the other does handstands and cartwheels round the field as a greeting.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Normal behaviour if you ask me ... although I have to say if she stamps her feet and gets caught in that stock wire you will regret having that for fencing that's for sure!

jeruselem5

Visit site
yes , its the land neighbours choice of fencing, not great, we put the timber on top for some protecton , they've been fine for two years now, touch wood!
you cant always dictate what other people do though can you!

Hayjay

Visit site
I was in my bedroom yesterday and heard a terrible noise, which I thought was a dog in pain, followed by a loud thump. Opened the window and realised it was my mare screaming at my boy ponies in the field shelter next to her and then kicking the partition wall 😳. I think she's in season.....😊

jeruselem5

Visit site
I was in my bedroom yesterday and heard a terrible noise, which I thought was a dog in pain, followed by a loud thump. Opened the window and realised it was my mare screaming at my boy ponies in the field shelter next to her and then kicking the partition wall ��. I think she's in season.....��

yes Molly sounds like a dog yelping, so loud and like shes in distress, i'd never heard it before, bit of a shock ;-)

Enfys

Visit site
yes , its the land neighbours choice of fencing, not great, we put the timber on top for some protecton , they've been fine for two years now, touch wood!

You could run a line of electric fencing inside your side.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

No, you can't, but you can fence your own stock.
My neighbour has a 5 strand barbed wire fence, i have a permanent good fence on my side and then also electric tape inside that.
Would never rely on someone else's fence to keep mine restrained nor want to worry about mine getting hurt on it.