Pony seems happier in single joint snaffle!

hellfire

Visit site
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. I've recently bitted one of my Shetlands. I've tried French link and lozenge and he either gets his tongue over or tries his hardest, ported and mullen he has his mouth constantly open crossing his jaw lowering his head etc. I tried a single joint snaffle and he's happy!!! What?! I was trying to be kind. He hates rubber bits as doesn't salivate much. He's recently had his teeth done no probe. Has anyone else had a horse prefer a single nutcracker bit? Also having issues as I'm bitting him to drive really as he's ridden in a bit less. Any driving bit or anything where the cheek pieces attach to another ring higher squishes his face bad. Any larger bit the mouth piece is was too long! Weird shaped muzzle I guess. Any ideas?
Thanks

Wheels

Visit site
Lots of horses prefer a single joint, just go with what suits your pony.

Some of the double jointed bits have a centre piece too large which means the joints actually sit on the bars or at least can make contact with the bars when turning, this is especially the case with smaller mouths

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
he probably doesn't like tongue pressure :) which is why he tried to get the tongue over the bit. the nutcracker action acts on the bars and roof of the mouth but not the tongue. ports offer tongue relief but a straight bar will still press on the tongue. cant help with driving bits though!

hellfire

Visit site
I'm really glad to hear that your horses are happier in a single joint. Just her drummed into me a double joint or no joint is better. I know all horses and ponies are different with mouth conformations. I was surprised he preferred this even to a ported mouth piece. I've been looking at half spoons for driving but seem to be hard to get hold of unless really dinky. I need 4.5". I tried the pelham like suggested in a post of mine a while back but just wont fir his chops!

philamena

Visit site
Some of the double jointed bits have a centre piece too large which means the joints actually sit on the bars or at least can make contact with the bars when turning, this is especially the case with smaller mouths

^^^This. And they don't even need to be big centre pieces or small mouths. If you look at the bit in the horse's mouth you'll often be amazed at how narrow the bars can be and how easily the joint of the centre piece can touch them when the bit ring is under even the slightest tension. Plus the tongue stuff / roof of mouth stuff too.

It really is a quite recent thing for everyone to assume horses will naturally prefer a double-jointed bit. If you think back 15 to 20 years or so, we used (some pretty horrific as it happens but that's beside the point) single jointed bits as standard and we only used french links / dr bristols / other double jointed bits to achieve something specific. I think because of fears around the nutcracker action, the joint stabbing the top of the mouth and the lack of symmetry of the bits, single joints have become a bit maligned. Some of that's valid as far as I'm concerned around the symmetry etc, but as with all things it's gone a bit too far the other way!

hellfire

Visit site
Your right. I can clearly remember all the horses and ponies on the yard I learnt and was later teaching at only having single joint snaffles for everything maybe a odd Pelham or Kimble along the way. Its just recently this thing of nutcracker etc. My other horses and certainly my young fell x will only tolerate a lozenge German silver bit. I even borrowed a friends very expensive lozenge bit and he hated it. Thank goodness ha ha. He likes German silver no rollers just lozenge. He has a larger mouth than a wee Shetland. Well if the hat (or bit in this case) fits wear it! Goto try get a half spoon now ideally for driving. What snaffle do you use to drive? D ring? Just thinking about turning problems. He doesn't seem a bother to stop. Caitlin rode him out in the single joint earlier no issues even turning. Considering he's been bitless and is 11 now. When I first had him and started him he took to it like a duck to water riding. Even now with harness and cart he's amazing. Just too strong in the bitless! Hes a amazing bombproof Shetland who's taught so many kids and put up with so much. Want him to have some fun on the trap. He does like to trot everywhere. Hes the most forward going Shetland I've ever had the privilege of owning. Although he still has the Shetland stubbon naughty streak if the mood strikes! Never with small children tho.