Pony selling - advice please

HeresHoping

Visit site
I am currently drafting an advert for putting on our hosts' site but wanted to ask for some advice. The advert is on behalf of a friend who, thanks to an extremely messy (expensive and somewhat nasty) divorce, wants as little social media exposure as possible other than her number.

This pony is a been there, done it, worn the tee-shirt type. He has in the past qualified for SCOPE, POYS, etc. and been on PC showjumping teams. He is 16, but still jumping the big tracks. He has been outgrown by his current jockey - her feet are below his elbows. Also, due to aforementioned divorce, he hasn't been out in the last year, except to the odd PC rally. Don't want to put all the rest on here as I don't want to be accused of advertising.

I have advertised him on all the FB sites and even though similar ponies are getting lots of comments - he is not. Not a pip.

So, my questions:
- I haven't included his age - do you think this is the problem?
- Do those in the know have a rough idea of his worth? I can p.m. my wording for the H&H ad if helpful.
- How important is it for an all rounder/PC pony to have an up-to-date BS record?

Thank you.

twiggy2

Visit site
I wont bother phoning if an ad does not have an age, it seems slap dash or that the pony is ancient if it is not included.
difficult to give an idea of price without knowing size.
unfortunately people will assume a lamness/injury if the pony has not been on the circuit for a year, it will also affect the price negatively.

minesadouble

Visit site
Sorry no idea about value. But I would definitely include age, as the above poster sais if no age on ad. I assume pony is ancient, 16 years is nothing for a pony, jumping ponies tend not to depreciate too much with age provided they still have ability.

reb1825

Visit site
when I was pony shopping I was wary of people advertising on another's behalf - I enquired about one who turned out to be owned by someone who doesn't exactly have a great reputation. Maybe this is putting people off?

WelshD

Visit site
Are your pictures any good? On facebook especially I scroll down and see what catches my eye. There is a seller on Facebook who buys ponies cheap and sells them easily, her adverts are eye catching, she turns out every pony as it were going to a show, they look immaculate

iwakbogo

Visit site
Sorry no idea about value. But I would definitely include age, as the above poster sais if no age on ad. I assume pony is ancient, 16 years is nothing for a pony, jumping ponies tend not to depreciate too much with age provided they still have ability.
g.png

agreed with you

TGM

Visit site
Definitely put age on. Ensure you have good photos that show pony at its best. Can you borrow a jockey to take to one competition on a ticket and get a good video of his round to put on his advert? This would reassure potential buyers that the pony is still sound and capable of performing. If you can't get him to a competition then even a video of him jumping a decent course at home or at a hired arena would help.

Shay

Visit site
Personal view... don't advertise him on FB. Its cheap and accessible - but not where I would be looking for a pony of this description. Horsemart have a service where even your number is withheld. Or advertise on the PC website. (I'm not personally convinced about H&H - although I have bought from H&H adverts in the past) Being terminally cynical having bought and sold children's competition ponies throughout my daughter's junior years - mainly BS/PC - I would also doubt the divorce story and look for underlying lameness or behavior problems. I'm not for a moment saying what you have said here isn't true - it is just what I would think if I saw an advert like that cold.

The up to date BS record is a bit of a vexed issue. With the newer PC restrictions on competition levels you might actually find you over qualify him. If he is JA then he's not going to be allowed to compete for PC at all so PC isn't the right market. Presuming he is still JC , if I were looking now I would be looking for something with either a minimal BS record or one over 3 years old so that the horse remains qualified for the lower PC levels. You can then use that as a selling point. Are you able to find a PC child to get him out and about a bit at PC events? Good PC competition ponies sell well and keep their value - but a gap in the PC record is potentially a problem. Also you can advertise him as for sale actually at the show (as long as he does well - bit pointless otherwise!)