Pony shopping - aaarrghhh!!

HeyMich

Visit site
So, I'm in the process of hunting for a pony. Yeay! or more accurately Aarghh!

The internet is a minefield! Who do you trust, and what can you believe? To give you an example, I went to see a gorgeous little hafflinger at the weekend, really sweet and my son enjoyed riding her (in an enclosed school environment), so much that I've arranged a 2nd viewing with my instructor friend to give him a wee lesson and take her for a hack. Great! The trouble is that since the 1st viewing, I've googled the dealers whose yard she was at, and according to the internet they are complete scoundrels, not to be touched with a barge pole. Apparently, everything they say is lies - and with pony shopping, you have to trust what the seller says and take the pony's back story/abilities/strengths/weaknesses into account. After all, I don't want my kids to get seriously hurt because I believed some sales person's lies! So, do I politely say thanks and walk away, or waste the best part of another day (when I should really be packing for our impending house move) and do the 2nd viewing?

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a suitable pony being sold/loaned by someone trustworthy and genuine, can you please let me know? We're looking for between 13-14hh, been there done it type (so older than 8 I guess), suitable for a wobbly, lanky 10 yr old with unstable, flappy legs, but who is very keen to learn and progress. Safe and sane, suitable for my 6 yr old to lead around the fields and get brushed and pampered to within an inch of it's life. Breed, colour, type I really don't mind. It will also be companion to my gentle 16.2 IDx, so must be happy to stand in the field/stable if I'm away riding. Based Central Scotland. Happy to pay the going rate, or sign a long-term loan contract. Not asking for too much, am I?

Hubby (non horsey) is totally trusting, and happy for me to make the decisions. Arghh! I need an adult to tell me what to do!

Internet shopping is the pits. I really should be enjoying looking for a pony (every girl's dream right?) but I'm hating it.

be positive

Visit site
When buying for a child, especially a novice one, I really want to see the pony in the home were it has been in doing the same job you plan on doing with it, it may be outgrown and shown by a more capable child than the one it is for but a genuine family home will have numerous photos and videos to show from the past few years to back up the story.
I am always too suspicious of why a nice pony ends up with dealers, there are sometimes really genuine reasons but all too often it is because selling privately has not worked, I would want to be able to speak to previous owners before going back for another viewing, if that is not possible for some reason then don't bother.

HeyMich

Visit site
Have you contacted your local pony club? Or spoken to the hunt Secretary??
No pony as you describe will be for sale at a dealers. They go by word of mouth or possibly the PC website. Can you contact your local Pony Clubs and Riding Clubs and ask them?

Yes, I have spoken to a couple of friends in the local PC, but nothing has come of it yet. I'll keep asking!

HeyMich

Visit site
When buying for a child, especially a novice one, I really want to see the pony in the home were it has been in doing the same job you plan on doing with it, it may be outgrown and shown by a more capable child than the one it is for but a genuine family home will have numerous photos and videos to show from the past few years to back up the story.
I am always too suspicious of why a nice pony ends up with dealers, there are sometimes really genuine reasons but all too often it is because selling privately has not worked, I would want to be able to speak to previous owners before going back for another viewing, if that is not possible for some reason then don't bother.

Yes, I think I'm coming to that conclusion too. Shame, as the pony was gorgeous, but not worth the risk. Alarm bells are ringing... Thank you BP for being the voice of reason!

be positive

Visit site
Would anyone actually trust a haflinger to be nice to a child!? I do like them but think they need an adult.

I have never had one so cannot really comment on the breed but would say that a 14.2 of that type would be a lot of pony for a wobbly 10 year old to manage, the one in the link certainly sounds more of an adults hack than a childs pony.

HeyMich

Visit site
I have never had one so cannot really comment on the breed but would say that a 14.2 of that type would be a lot of pony for a wobbly 10 year old to manage, the one in the link certainly sounds more of an adults hack than a childs pony.

Yes, I think I'd agree there. The pony in the advert looks lovely, but probably more of a 2nd pony type.

I'm not looking for a haflinger in particular, in fact I really don't mind about breed at all. The one I saw over the weekend was almost perfect though...

On with the search... 😕

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Have you checked out Strathearn pony club selling site? Or contact the DC of West Perthshire pony club and he ll send a wanted message out. I’ll sound out a friend whose children are outgrowing their ponies and see what her plans are. I ll keep my ears open.

HeyMich

Visit site
Have you checked out Strathearn pony club selling site? Or contact the DC of West Perthshire pony club and he ll send a wanted message out. I’ll sound out a friend whose children are outgrowing their ponies and see what her plans are. I ll keep my ears open.

I know a few people involved with WPPC so have asked them to keep an eye out. I've not been in touch with Strathearn, I'll email in th morning.

Any contacts of yours ready to pass on a pony would be super, thank you xx

Hollychops

Visit site
I feel your pain as i went through the same when looking for a pony for my daughter. We went to see ponies of all ages and types. We eventually found one through the PC classifieds website and still have her now 8 years later. Be prepared to look, look and look again and travel. We found our pony in Buckinghamshire and travelled from Lincolnshire to see her. I found reducing my travel distance really cut down my options.

Word of mouth from trusted people can be the best way to go and i genuinely feel that if it doesnt seem right it isnt. Gut feelings go along way when looking for that mystical being..a good safe pony you can trust. They are out there, just be prepared to compromise on age or height. I didnt want anything older than 12 but ended up with one at 18 and she was and still is brilliant.

good luck!

eahotson

Visit site
So, I'm in the process of hunting for a pony. Yeay! or more accurately Aarghh!

The internet is a minefield! Who do you trust, and what can you believe? To give you an example, I went to see a gorgeous little hafflinger at the weekend, really sweet and my son enjoyed riding her (in an enclosed school environment), so much that I've arranged a 2nd viewing with my instructor friend to give him a wee lesson and take her for a hack. Great! The trouble is that since the 1st viewing, I've googled the dealers whose yard she was at, and according to the internet they are complete scoundrels, not to be touched with a barge pole. Apparently, everything they say is lies - and with pony shopping, you have to trust what the seller says and take the pony's back story/abilities/strengths/weaknesses into account. After all, I don't want my kids to get seriously hurt because I believed some sales person's lies! So, do I politely say thanks and walk away, or waste the best part of another day (when I should really be packing for our impending house move) and do the 2nd viewing?

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a suitable pony being sold/loaned by someone trustworthy and genuine, can you please let me know? We're looking for between 13-14hh, been there done it type (so older than 8 I guess), suitable for a wobbly, lanky 10 yr old with unstable, flappy legs, but who is very keen to learn and progress. Safe and sane, suitable for my 6 yr old to lead around the fields and get brushed and pampered to within an inch of it's life. Breed, colour, type I really don't mind. It will also be companion to my gentle 16.2 IDx, so must be happy to stand in the field/stable if I'm away riding. Based Central Scotland. Happy to pay the going rate, or sign a long-term loan contract. Not asking for too much, am I?

Hubby (non horsey) is totally trusting, and happy for me to make the decisions. Arghh! I need an adult to tell me what to do!

Internet shopping is the pits. I really should be enjoying looking for a pony (every girl's dream right?) but I'm hating it.
The dealer may be poor but I don't always trust reviews either.If you liked the pony,take instructor back and try again.Could you ride it as well?Try riding like a novice if you can.See how the pony reacts.?You won't have lost anything and you may just have found a little gem.As for breed.Well I bought a highland,you know,safe for the nervous,novice and inadequate.He was very sharp and spooky and terrified me.I then bought a welsh , a breed which we are always being told is mad.He has been a complete sweetheart.

Summit

Visit site
The dealer may be poor but I don't always trust reviews either.If you liked the pony,take instructor back and try again.Could you ride it as well?Try riding like a novice if you can.See how the pony reacts.?You won't have lost anything and you may just have found a little gem.As for breed.Well I bought a highland,you know,safe for the nervous,novice and inadequate.He was very sharp and spooky and terrified me.I then bought a welsh , a breed which we are always being told is mad.He has been a complete sweetheart.

I’d go back for another look. Also could you get a trial period?

Reactions: JJS