Pony Shopping / Waiting for Vet Check / Etc

MrsCentaur

Visit site
Helloooo!

What an exciting 24 hours it has been! After a few dreadful viewings of totally unsuitable horses - my fault entirely for mentally overhorsing myself - I had the opportunity yesterday to view a delicious little pudding of a cob, being sold for a friend at a professional showjumping yard. I was in the office in Mayfair at the time, so scrambled to find a pair of boots (Marks and Spencer finest - looked vaguely horsey but were TOTALLY smooth underneath, a nightmare in stirrups!) and the dealer promised to lend me a hat if I could get there after work. Everyone seemed a bit surprised when I pitched up in a taxi, dressed like I had just legged it out of the boardroom - which, in fact, I had - but despite how utterly bizarre I looked zooming about in my dress, borrowed hat and vaguely-horseish boots, I felt completely at home on the little morsel and immediately declared my intention to buy him. Instructor wasn't present at the viewing for obvious reasons but loved the videos, so I've put down a deposit to cancel the many, many other viewings booked and arranged a five-star vetting for Thursday afternoon.

Can I please say a big fat effing EEEEEEK?! I've never had a horse before. And I've managed to keep my children alive but only JUST - I've dropped every newborn I've had at least once. :eek: Thank goodness for full livery!! But what have I DONE!!

Any and all reassuring words appreciated, and positive energy for a passing vet check please! Haven't booked x-rays.. should I have x-rays? We're not planning on doing anything wildly exciting, and he's only eight.. but perhaps I should call the vet back and request x-rays?

Is anyone else waiting to bring a pony home? I'd love some company whilst I chew my nails off and try not to be too distracted from work this week!

OH! And speaking of distraction... where are the go-to places to buy all of the matchy-matchy, please?

MrsCentaur

Visit site
@southerncomfort the pace really took me by surprise! I think he's the sensible sort though, and my instructor likes what she's seen so I'm not TOO unsettled at having spent the best part of 10k on something with NO expert supervision. I think it will be ok.

@Birker2020 it is stressful, isn't it! What are you looking for?

Birker2020

Visit site
@Birker2020 it is stressful, isn't it! What are you looking for?[/QUOTE]
Hi I'm looking for 17hh - 17.1hh WB/ID cross or a sane WB. Gelding only. Capable of hacking out on its own, that's honest and nice tempered, between 6 -10 yrs, bay, black or chestnut, that will jump fillers and won't put dirty stops in. Due to my back issue it can't be too active behind.

It needs to have no stable or ridden vices and is okay to load into a trailer and must be open to a vet. As I've not schooled for many years due to my late horses issues I am pretty rusty but want to be able to school and have lessons and do low level riding club activities and fun rides. Something that i can bring in from the field and load up on my own and go off for a hack for a couple of hours again on my own.

Picture of previous horse for idea of type, but ideally around 9 - 9.5" bone so MW type.

If suitable this horse will have a very experienced forever home where it will be loved and cherished for the rest of its life. Budget up to £7.5k. Saw three last week that fitted the bill. But sold now.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1618303402324.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618303402324.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_1618303270650.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618303270650.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210114_124254.jpg
    20210114_124254.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 28
  • FB_IMG_1617772360911.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617772360911.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
How exciting, he sounds lovely. Good luck for the vetting on Thursday. Photos will be needed if he passes!!

There are HUGE amounts of matchy matchy available. Everyone has their personal favourites. I'd probably be inclined to get one saddlecloth/ set etc to start with and then find out which one fits/ suits him and you best and what he needs.

Le Mieux is probably a good place to start if you're after matchy matchy:

https://www.lemieuxproducts.com/

Otherwise one of the big online tackshops such as Hope Valley, Naylors or Robinsons etc will have a range of things to get you started.

ruth83

Visit site
Take a big deep breath.
There shouldn't be a NEED for xrays at that price (by which I mean insurers won't demand them), so it is a personal choice. There are horses out there with xrays that suggest they shouldn't be able to do the job they do happily. There are others who have clean xrays which change within months.
I would make sure you ask the vet to take bloods to store for tests should there be any issues down the line (ie check for doping or pain relief). As a precaution.

Is the full livery ready for him if he passes? Have you started looking for insurance? Far more important than matchy matchy which you can then shop for at your hearts content! At the absolute minimum, get BHS membership or similar for liability ins.

Bernster

Visit site
Woohoo exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time.

It gets real when you collect them, or they arrive at the yard/stable, and you suddenly realise it’s your responsibility, you have no real clue what you’ve bought, and you have a spasm about what comes next. Well, in my case anyway! ?. I’ve had him 2 weeks so happy to join you in the ‘new’ horse owners club (although I have other horses and have owned for several years).

Love the description of your escapades so far and look forward to more updates. Fingers crossed for the vetting.

X-rays depend on value and your insurer. I don’t tend to as I don’t get loss of use so I go for a 5 stage vetting instead.

Matchy - locate your local tack shops for exciting and expensive trips out, but I like woof wear and le mieux products.

Kaylum

Visit site
Exciting make sure you are at the vetting and ask questions. Your vet should be talking you through what they see. Ours does.

Fingers crossed.

I'm Dun

Visit site
@Birker2020 it is stressful, isn't it! What are you looking for?
Hi I'm looking for 17hh - 17.1hh WB/ID cross or a sane WB. Gelding only. Capable of hacking out on its own, that's honest and nice tempered, between 6 -10 yrs, bay, black or chestnut, that will jump fillers and won't put dirty stops in. Due to my back issue it can't be too active behind.

It needs to have no stable or ridden vices and is okay to load into a trailer and must be open to a vet. As I've not schooled for many years due to my late horses issues I am pretty rusty but want to be able to school and have lessons and do low level riding club activities and fun rides. Something that i can bring in from the field and load up on my own and go off for a hack for a couple of hours again on my own.

Picture of previous horse for idea of type, but ideally around 9 - 9.5" bone so MW type.

If suitable this horse will have a very experienced forever home where it will be loved and cherished for the rest of its life. Budget up to £7.5k. Saw three last week that fitted the bill. But sold now.

Why not a mare? You just had a mare didnt you? Thats a really specific set of criteria and the market is bonkers so you might need to be flexible.

MrsCentaur

Visit site
Apologies for delayed response, all! Who would have thought that a busy corporate job, five children, managing a new house and coordinating pony logistics would have left me with no time to get on the internet!! Still, I'm here now.

@Birker2020 I hope that you find what you are looking for! Your previous horse looked like a lovely sort. Will you start a pony shopping thread on here so we can all make suggestions? I always rather enjoy following those.

@Squeak thank you! Very sensible advice and I've loved window shopping your suggested brands. Think that I will wait for the pony to pass his vetting (this afternoon - eek!) and then make my way to our local tack shop for the initial outlay; upon reflection I should try to support them as I bet they've had a rough year with Covid and no website.

@ruth83 taking BIIIIG deep breaths (rather reminds me of childbirth, to be honest, where I took so many big deep breaths that I fainted and woke up with a load of midwives trying to get an oxygen mask on me! Will try not to hyperventilate whilst maintaining sufficient oxygen for coherent thought). Have declined x-rays and confirmed bloods. Full livery is ready in theory, as he's coming to the yard that I ride at with the yard owner's blessing - she is very excited and aware of the timeline but has yet to give me a price per week! This is very typical of her though and I'm not worried. Funnily enough the insurance is the easy part - part of my job involved managing tens of millions of high-value items, so I'm rather good with things like insurance. Have gone for the Petplan one with the 5k cover and £125 excess, and 60% LOU. It is Not Cheap but will probably afford some peace of mind. Hadn't thought of BHS membership though, so thank you!

@Bernster sounds rather like bringing a baby home - I could never understand how the medical people were always so blithely happy to wave us off at the door without so much as a training course first! That said, babies are actually surprisingly robust given their size and newness, and my impression of horses is that they have a tendency to break if one glances at them too hard... Hopefully my fat little cob is the resilient type. And I trust the people who will be looking after him implicitly - they are very experienced, and decidedly unafraid to shout at me when I'm doing something silly! Oh, and welcome to the New Horse Club (as the most experienced current member, you can be Chair!) - do share a picture!

@Kaylum regrettably I'll be at the office, but I've spoken with the vet and forewarned her that he's only been glanced at by an utter numpty who was blinded by his blue eye, snuffly nose and voluptuous braid, that he's being purchased with NO EXPERT SUPERVISION (until he gets home), and to please look at him with eyes of scrutiny and report back on EVERYTHING. She seems nice, and competent, and will call me after the vetting.

Five hours until the vetting. Biiiiiig, deep breaths.

Would anyone like to see a picture? Or would that jinx things?!

MrsCentaur

Visit site
Ah, @Bernster, those sort of lessons are a bit disheartening, aren't they? But you're absolutely right, this is all normal and part of the process. He will adjust and the two of you will develop a beautiful partnership. When is your next lesson? I'm sure that it will go better.

Birker2020

Visit site
Apologies for delayed response, all! Who would have thought that a busy corporate job, five children, managing a new house and coordinating pony logistics would have left me with no time to get on the internet!! Still, I'm here now.

@Birker2020 I hope that you find what you are looking for! Your previous horse looked like a lovely sort. Will you start a pony shopping thread on here so we can all make suggestions? I always rather enjoy following those.

@Squeak thank you! Very sensible advice and I've loved window shopping your suggested brands. Think that I will wait for the pony to pass his vetting (this afternoon - eek!) and then make my way to our local tack shop for the initial outlay; upon reflection I should try to support them as I bet they've had a rough year with Covid and no website.

@ruth83 taking BIIIIG deep breaths (rather reminds me of childbirth, to be honest, where I took so many big deep breaths that I fainted and woke up with a load of midwives trying to get an oxygen mask on me! Will try not to hyperventilate whilst maintaining sufficient oxygen for coherent thought). Have declined x-rays and confirmed bloods. Full livery is ready in theory, as he's coming to the yard that I ride at with the yard owner's blessing - she is very excited and aware of the timeline but has yet to give me a price per week! This is very typical of her though and I'm not worried. Funnily enough the insurance is the easy part - part of my job involved managing tens of millions of high-value items, so I'm rather good with things like insurance. Have gone for the Petplan one with the 5k cover and £125 excess, and 60% LOU. It is Not Cheap but will probably afford some peace of mind. Hadn't thought of BHS membership though, so thank you!

@Bernster sounds rather like bringing a baby home - I could never understand how the medical people were always so blithely happy to wave us off at the door without so much as a training course first! That said, babies are actually surprisingly robust given their size and newness, and my impression of horses is that they have a tendency to break if one glances at them too hard... Hopefully my fat little cob is the resilient type. And I trust the people who will be looking after him implicitly - they are very experienced, and decidedly unafraid to shout at me when I'm doing something silly! Oh, and welcome to the New Horse Club (as the most experienced current member, you can be Chair!) - do share a picture!

@Kaylum regrettably I'll be at the office, but I've spoken with the vet and forewarned her that he's only been glanced at by an utter numpty who was blinded by his blue eye, snuffly nose and voluptuous braid, that he's being purchased with NO EXPERT SUPERVISION (until he gets home), and to please look at him with eyes of scrutiny and report back on EVERYTHING. She seems nice, and competent, and will call me after the vetting.

Five hours until the vetting. Biiiiiig, deep breaths.

Would anyone like to see a picture? Or would that jinx things?!
Hi Mrs Centaur

When I'm ready with finances in place, yes I will post. Just a bit wobbly at the moment, need to get my head sorted, hopefully start looking in earnest next weekend i.e after next Friday.

New job not quite going to plan so two days off till I.T equipment sorted and back in Monday.

Birker2020

Visit site
I didn’t post until he’d passed his vetting. I’m feeling a bit wobbly today after a not totally successful lesson yesterday and realising my super fit competition horse is having to adjust to his new life! Nothing bad, just a reminder to me that he is still unsettled.
Congrats- may I be cheeky and please ask the time frame from seeing on the internet (which web page?)to trying out, to vetting till money exchanged as I'm on the same journey.

Bernster

Visit site
Congrats- may I be cheeky and please ask the time frame from seeing on the internet (which web page?)to trying out, to vetting till money exchanged as I'm on the same journey.

Sure - think it was 3 weeks in total. Called mid week and the ad had only just gone up. Viewed Saturday. I was the first viewer as the seller wasn’t around before then. Deposit that day. 1 week to sort out the vetting, and I collected him the following week. Payment went through on the day I collected him. I didn’t look at loads. I had a fairly strict list. I called about a few but lots went quickly before I could view.

Visit site
How exciting! Yes it may be nerve wracking with it being your first horse, but if you have found a good yard there should be plenty of people around to help you and also to teach you along the way. As for x-rays, I wouldn't be too bothered as most things will be picked up in the vetting anyway, it's personal preference for x-rays and unless you plan on having the horse in heavy work, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Birker2020

Visit site
Sure - think it was 3 weeks in total. Called mid week and the ad had only just gone up. Viewed Saturday. I was the first viewer as the seller wasn’t around before then. Deposit that day. 1 week to sort out the vetting, and I collected him the following week. Payment went through on the day I collected him. I didn’t look at loads. I had a fairly strict list. I called about a few but lots went quickly before I could view.
Thanks not too bad a rush then. No know what you mean, my list is strict too, it has to be really when you plan to have something forever. Mines not only height, breed and age specific, its also colour specific too.

But I've had six that all were to my exact requirements, but this time round I think I will be hard pressed to get anything like B again though in terms of quality/looks/paces.

Britestar

Visit site

My friend just bought a horse.
Time frame was - wanted ad on FB on Monday. Several replies, 2 arranged to see on Thursday. Both those fell through on Wed eve, contacted another that night. Seen Thursday, vetted Monday and deposit paid. Picked up following Friday.
Shes been home a week now, settled in well. 1st ride will be Monday.

MrsCentaur

Visit site
He PASSED! He's coming home today!

Apparently his feet are a bit wonky and he needs some sensible shoeing and to lose some weight - we have so much in common already! The vet said that she liked him, and he was a 'sensible chap'. I'm off to the local equestrian shop to buy all manner of exciting things before receiving him this afternoon!

I have a pony. An ACTUAL pony. Oh my goodness!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Brilliant, now we need some photos! Congratulations on joining the horse owner club ?

Asha

Visit site
Your excitement is infectious ! Love it. Look forward to seeing photos of you and your pony in all you finest matchy matchy