Pony stallions?

Charmin

Visit site
We're looking to put my mare into foal next year to a pony stallion and were just looking for any recommendations.

Mare is 14.2hh IDxTb X Connemara with a fab brain, a little bit too clever for her own good sometimes, but a darling. Very correct in her movement but foaly could perhaps have that extra flair in paces. She makes a nice shape over a fence.

Selling the foal might be a possibility so if it's something that sells well even better!

969339_10151622973806421_771165213_n.jpg

527432_10151263080441421_1413427538_n.jpg

front legs look wonky there, promise it's the way she's standing!

Thanks all :p

Mackenzie6

Visit site
Hi,

If you wanted to stay close to the mares type then maybe Kilmurray Bay Mirah or to add a bit more movement maybe Bernwode Brokat (frozen only I believe)

Depending on what you wish the foal to do ?

Charem

Visit site

RealityCheck

Visit site
I love Voyager, I don't think they have 'goods' in the UK but I know they've exported before. He is a german riding pony, Bundeschampion in dressage and eventing. I've seen him to haflingers and welsh x's before with very nice results.

Alternatively, in the UK you have Brokat and Bathleyhills Monet who could both add expressive paces and little more refinement.

Lgd

Visit site
Leamside stand several top class pony stallions - two are former international dressage ponies (Caesar 171 and Danger 36) - and I know there is another pony that has just been added to the roster.

Their Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/LeamsideEquestrianLtd

One of the owners also posts on here as Berty.

emlybob

Visit site
I was going to say Bathleyhills Monet. I have a cracking colt by him this year out of a horse mare. Movement and temperament to die for. He is certainly worth a look

devonartist

New User
Visit site
Hi Try Stanley Grange Stud, all ai, also James Crawford at Elite Stallions was very helpful. He has access to some pony stallions that are not on his web site.

Ph1l

Visit site
You could also take your mare to the SPSS Mare Grading (at Bury Farm EC, near Luton on Saturday 12th October). Entries open around 1st August and you can find out more on the SPSS website www.sportpony.org.uk or call Sarah at Head Office (numbers on top of each website page).

The SPSS website also has information on the SPSS Graded stallions - a number of whom have already been mentioned on here!). Using a SPSS graded stallion means that the foal would be eligible for the Futurity Evaluations under their current rules.

:)

Charmin

Visit site
You could also take your mare to the SPSS Mare Grading (at Bury Farm EC, near Luton on Saturday 12th October). Entries open around 1st August and you can find out more on the SPSS website www.sportpony.org.uk or call Sarah at Head Office (numbers on top of each website page).

The SPSS website also has information on the SPSS Graded stallions - a number of whom have already been mentioned on here!). Using a SPSS graded stallion means that the foal would be eligible for the Futurity Evaluations under their current rules.

Oh wow this is interesting. Okay, if my mare isn't graded but stallion is, is the foal still eligible for Futurity? And would having my mare graded be beneficial to the sale of the foal (should it occur)?

Thank you all for the suggestions guys. I really like Bathleyhill's Monet and Bernwode Brokat, does anyone have progeny pictures out of these two?

Ph1l

Visit site
Oh wow this is interesting. Okay, if my mare isn't graded but stallion is, is the foal still eligible for Futurity? And would having my mare graded be beneficial to the sale of the foal (should it occur)?

Thank you all for the suggestions guys. I really like Bathleyhill's Monet and Bernwode Brokat, does anyone have progeny pictures out of these two?

There are lots of pics of Brokat progeny of various ages on his SPSS website page - Monet had his first foals last year, so there are only foal pictures for him, but you'll still find some on there - and on the 2012 & 2013 Foals pages. Both stallion owners also have their own websites - there are links to these from the SPSS website too :)

At the moment, my understanding of the Futurity rules is that the stallion has to be graded - but they are starting to talk about requiring the mare to be graded for progeny to be eligible in the future - you'd need to look at the factsheets (see the British Breeding part of the BEF website) to get the full detail as I'm working form memory!

Re would the mare being graded help sell the foal - I would like to think so but can't say for definite. More likely to help with the sale of a foal than with one that is backed and doing. If you did go the SPSS route for a stallion & passport then if both parents are graded the passport has blue pages rather than cream if only one parent graded. The passports are also slightly cheaper if both parents graded - but this would be more than offset by the cost of grading your mare!

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
I perused my ex boss (very successful showing breeder) to use Bernwode Brokat on a PBA mare of hers to breed a little more movement into the family, while retaining very correct conformation. She had a cracking colt who I think will come out under saddle as a SHP next season.
I took him to the Futurity as a yearling and he did very well (I cant remember his score but it was a good high first) and the boss was so pleased she bred the mare back to Brokat.
Plus the stud could not have been more helpful to deal with, always a bonus.

2 other pony stallions that I havent bred too but I really like the look of is the young jumping pony Romulus - I think he is really one to watch if you are breeding jumpers and the dressage pony stallion Rembrant DDH both of whom are SPSS graded

mynutmeg

Visit site
Kilvington Scoundrel is a really nice stallion and seems to pass on well - he's based in Cumbria but I'm fairly sure they do AI (I saw him when we looked at another one from that stud for my mare and he's really nice)

KimberleyH

Visit site
Have you had a look at Romulus, a pony stallion at Meadow Stud in Gloucestershire (I think?) Looks like such a great little horse, if only he'd been a hand or two taller and I could have considered him as a stallion for my girl! :( Good luck :)

slimjim86

Visit site
I have a lovely mare by blaircourt franko and he has some really lovely offspring if you look him up at carhouse stud.

HBBambee

Visit site
We have two pony foals by Brokat - both lovely people. The grey is out of a New Forest Mare and the Bay is out of a Belgium New Forest Mare Both awarded a first premium at their gradings and the grey was reserve champion pony at the SPSS show as a 2 yr old. He is now three and we hope to bring him in this summer for ground work and he will be taken to some in hand local shows.