Pony stops dead on landing! (Sorry but long)

rcm_73

Visit site
Ok have posted about this pony before, here is the original post:
Bought 13.2 pony in June and didn't put a foot wrong when daughter tried him. However once we got him home he started to throw in big bucks after jumps and wouldn't stop until my daughter was on the ground. Checked saddle and found it to be a bit tight so got one fitted to him, teeth have been rasped, back checked is ok. Didn't jump him for two months on advice of an instructor as he was a bit wound up over jumps, previous owner was a bigger more experienced teen, my daughter is fairly novice and small. Started jumping again but the bucking continues, seems like he will jump a few times and then starts the bucking, getting to the point now where daughter won't jump him. Any suggestions of what to do? I'm thinking giving him a smack when he does it and riding him forwards might work as I do think he's doing it to evade work, either that or he is very sensitive to any imbalance in the rider. Problem is daughter is not confident enough now to try this. Have got a daisy rein but haven't tried it as he only seems to do it when jumping.

12 months on, didn't do much over winter this year done a few PC rallies & a few local shows, nothing too strenuous & is only jumped about twice a week & not for too long either. However pony has now developed a habit of stopping dead after a jump, nose to the floor & humping his back like a cat so rider goes flying off, he also had a broncing episode at the last rally in which he managed to ditch his young rider 3 times, I put it down to spring grass & him having an 'off day'. However this humping off thing is ruining my daughter's confidence (again), we have persevered with him for 12 months, he is a good jumper, fast against the clock, 100% hack etc etc and don't want to sell if we can just work through this or find out where the problem lies. It really can't be through over-jumping as he does very little jumping compared to some ponies we know one thing I have noticed is he seems to do it when the jumps get a bit higher although he clears them with inches to spare. I can ride him through it with growling at him and being ready but he has had me off as he is quick as lightning and it happens literally the moment he lands. It has got to the point where my daughter is getting left behind or hanging onto his mouth as she is anticipating the stop which I know will only give the pony more reason to stop!
Beginning to think she may be over-horsed & in need of something quieter..

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Beginning to think she may be over-horsed & in need of something quieter..

Your daughter must have some guts to have continued this far. My daughter has had her share of the mad, bad and dangerous to learn to ride on but I'd never have made her put up with being regularly dumped when jumping for 12 months.

You say that the previous rider was a bigger more experienced teen, your daughter is now 12 months older and more experienced than when you bought the pony and it's still taking the mickey. If you can manage the pony then can you ride it until it gets the idea that it's not going to succeed in dumping it's rider and get something else for your daughter to get her nerve back on? If you can't manage the pony I'd suggest getting rid of it and finding a nice confidence giver for your daughter.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
This pony clearly doens't want to jump any more - or / and has something seriously wrong with it.

Time for a good old look see and lameness work up done, I'd say.

china

Visit site
agree with amy may! try lunge jumping him, if he jumps fine with no rider weight there is likely to be something going on, my horse started stopping after xc jumps, turns out hes lame on all fours, hes having nerve blocks today, things like kissing spines can show like this. if hes an honest pony any other time then i would be concerned there is something going on, my lameness work up cost £90 including call out and took around an hour so for the sake of £90, but eithers its something in his feet or back, or both, one thing can cause a secondy pain. good luck!

Last edited:

KingCharles

Visit site
I agree it does sound like he is uncomfortable on landing. Could it be that when landing from bigger jumps your daughter lands more heavily in the saddle? I see a few horses almost land with a crunch as the rider slams back into the saddle on landing, it there is also some pain the horse will obviously react with a buck. This is only a possibilty.

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
To be honest with you im kind of shocked that you havnt had a lameness work up on this pony yet! He is clearly in pain with the riding landing on his back.
I would be getting his back checked over and then his saddle, then ruleing any lameness in his feet/legs. If all is ok then i would suggest that you dont jump him for a while as he is probably fed up with it!!

rcm_73

Visit site
The pony had a 5 stage vetting on purchase & after purchase his back and teeth were done. I did think it was an issue of rider imbalance but I have ridden him (I have 33 years experience) & he has tried the same trick. I don't think it is because he doesn't like hard ground as he has done same thing in a menage. I don't see how he can be fedup of jumping as he is hacked more than jumped and has considerably low mileage being broken as a 6 y.o. I know of ponies in their 20's that are out competing more than he is ridden! He is a dominant gelding, doesn't like to be seperated from his pals and did try to take the mickey loading which I have since sorted. I'm thinking it is a bit of dishonesty on his part & a maybe not a good pairing. I think I will have to ride him for a few weeks and then sell on.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You may be right about the dishonesty thing OP.

However a 5 stage vetting means almost nothing the day after.

My horse had a 5 stage vetting when I bought him - had I had x-rays taken as part of that process the problems he has with his front feet would have been immediately evident. Unfortunately I now have a very expensive horse that is worth pennies..... So I don't think you can discount there being a problem.

The other thing to consider is that horses generally do want to co-operate. So if he's saying no there will be a reason for it. Whether pain related, boredom related, or over jumped related, the horse clearly does not want to do the job it was intended for. So you need to find out why.

For most that would include things you have allready done - back, saddle etc, and then a discussion with a professional such as a vet...

Jingleballs

Visit site
The pony had a 5 stage vetting on purchase & after purchase his back and teeth were done. .

Sorry but this was over a year ago if I understand your correctly?

Personally, if it were my pony, I'd have had a more thorough investigation carried out to identify any potential problems/pain issues.