Pony to thoroughbred breeding

levantosh

www.levantosportshorses.co.uk
I am looking to put a TB mare in foal to a pony stallion has anyone ever put a 16h mare to a 12.2 stallion? If so what was the result :) one of my warmblood mares has a 4yo by thistledown copper lustre that has made 14.2 ish and very smart (I didn't breed it. foal would be to keep so please no negative comments or lectures.
Thanks in advance :)

emlybob

Visit site
Holiday on here who owns Thistledown Copper Lustre is one of my closeest friends. She put him to a clydesdale x TB mare and another friend of mine bought the offspring who is absolutely super, even tho an odd mix!
My 16.2hh is in foal to a 14.2 so excited to see the result.
It really depends what you want to produce but there is no harm in it and can be a really good mix.
Good Luck

holiday

www.bathleyhillfarmlivery.com
I am looking to put a TB mare in foal to a pony stallion has anyone ever put a 16h mare to a 12.2 stallion? If so what was the result :) one of my warmblood mares has a 4yo by thistledown copper lustre that has made 14.2 ish and very smart (I didn't breed it. foal would be to keep so please no negative comments or lectures.
Thanks in advance :)

Oh wow, I hadnt heard how this foal had grown on was going to try to get back in touch as say it would be eligible for our Bathley Hill Farm Stud Awards!!!!!! Details are on our website.

Have you any photos as id love to see, as not seen any photos since a foal!!!!!!!!!!

My view is you do keep the quality crossing back to the pony and its the right way to combine a mare and stallion.

I would certainly do it and have done it on more than one occasion with super results!!!!! However you cant guarantee a 14.2hh or under using a big mare as a definate as obviously it depends on the mares input.

elijahasgal

Visit site
Of course with that difference in size you could get some very odd results....
What happens if it takes dads size and struggles to reach to suckle?

We used to have a pony, Brandy, where I worked, never knew his breeding, but he was built like a 14.2hh on shetland legs, brill pony, but rather close to the ground.....

emlybob

Visit site
Of course with that difference in size you could get some very odd results....
What happens if it takes dads size and struggles to reach to suckle?

That made me chuckle. A foal will grow in utero to the space it has, so in a horse mare will from bigger than in a pony mare. The foal will not be too small to suckle, don't worry!

BERTY

www.leamsideequesatrian.co.uk
Thanks LGD

Hi Just for info we have used Caesar 171 on our Thoroughbred mare 16hh and have a lovely 14.1h filly. We do use the smaller boys on the bigger mares. I will try to upload some pics for you. Definitely a show hack prospect. Holiday also has some super examples.

Starryeyes - which stallion have you used and waiting for? Would love to see pics of all foals being born this year.

We have a very exciting Monet to our Caesar 171 daughter due and I am so excited.

BERTY

www.leamsideequesatrian.co.uk
Thanks LGD

Hi Just for info we have used Caesar 171 on our Thoroughbred mare 16hh and have a lovely 14.1h filly. We do use the smaller boys on the bigger mares. I will try to upload some pics for you. Definitely a show hack prospect. Holiday also has some super examples.

Starryeyes - which stallion have you used and waiting for? Would love to see pics of all foals being born this year.

We have a very exciting Monet to our Caesar 171 daughter due and I am so excited.

Meant to say Caesar is my Daughters pony stallion!

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
I've just used Meadow Stud's pony stallion Romulus on my 16.2h TB mare... quite excited. Last year he was used on the Wexford Lady, should be interesting :)
I used Ousbek (Elite JA stallion) on some bigger mares a number of years ago with some very interesting offspring :)