Pony too young?

Giles R

Visit site
I'm looking for a pony for my 8yr old. She is a good rider and keen to do more camps and competitions. I've seen a welshie that on paper seems spot on. However, it is only 3 years old. Am I mad to consider it?

WispyBegs

Visit site
It’s difficult to say due to lack of info…
However, if I were in your shoes I would buy something more established and something that was proven to be safe enough to look after an 8 year old, as unfortunately as I’ve saw many times before - young green horses and children do not mix well. It normally ends up with the child having their confidence destroyed.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm looking for a pony for my 8yr old. She is a good rider and keen to do more camps and competitions. I've seen a welshie that on paper seems spot on. However, it is only 3 years old. Am I mad to consider it?

If it is 3 it can't have competed at any of those things within the rules. If your daughter wants a full on competition and camp season next year then that would, in my opinion, be too much work for a 3 year old pony this winter to prepare it, and for a 4 year old pony next year to be expected to do.

IME, 3 year old shouldn't be doing any more than short light hacks, if it's in work at all. If you are being shown a pony which is already jumping fences more than a few cm high on a regular basis, then I'd question the potential for future unsoundness.

Winters100

Visit site
For a gutsy child with plenty of daily instruction on hand a 3 year old might just work, but sadly not as a pony to use for camps and competing. when I was that age I was helping to back and ride the youngsters, but never unsupervised, and I had my own pony for fun and competing. The problem is that aged 8 the child will not always make good choices about how to handle situations, so they need constant supervision. An older pony who has seen it all before will be much more fun for her, and will enable her to join in with everything rather than sitting on the sidelines because the pony isn't ready. Good luck with finding a super pony!