Pony Trekking Buisness Help!

rallan15

Visit site
So I have family who own a castle along with some land.
At the moment there isn’t anything to do for kids that you might expect at a castle.
All you can do is walk around the castle and go for tea in the coffee shop.
While this is appealing to some, younger kids can get a bit bored!
I have spoken to various members of the family who have said this is okay for me to do but I need to plan it etc.
Finally onto the point! I was thinking about setting up a pony trekking centre at the foot of the castle. We have about 1 acre which can be used as a grass paddock for Shetland rides/schooling. We have the beach very close and excellent hacking. We also have plenty of grazing available.
Does anyone have any tips as to setting this up? I have thought about some obvious things (costs, where the ponies will live etc) but is there anything else I should know?

Shay

Visit site
Getting a license and insurance! Speak to your local council and determine what they require for you to have a license. It might also be worth looking at what the BHS require for accreditation. You will need insurance - both for the property / animals / tack but also employer's liability and 3rd party insurance. If you check this out early enough not only can you build the cost into your business plan but you may also be able to build in elements which reduce the insurance costs. If you don't already have it you'll need stables, a tack room and an office - which will need planning permission if you don't have that already.

One acre isn't much grazing - realistically that will do you 2/3 shetlands - unless you have exceptionally rich grass. Ideally you need one acre per horse -obviously smaller ponies need less. If you are going to be schooling in the same field then that reduces the available grass.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
By the time you've sorted out the regulations and the cost of insurance you'll probably find it would be more cost effective to build something inanimate for the kids.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
By the time you've sorted out the regulations and the cost of insurance you'll probably find it would be more cost effective to build something inanimate for the kids.

this sadly, so many trekking centres are now closed because of running costs-some of them had in the past been decent businesses for many years.

I would check out licensing and insurance but maybe limit it to pony rides only for smaller kids (an acre kinds of limits you but you could keep 2/3 shetties on it) and/or some sort of pony/animal petting corner? Again, you need to check out regs and insurance and it would probably not really be worth it.

Another idea if you have plenty of grazing and good hacking might be camping with horses so people could ride on the beach etc. Something that would also need planning permission though.

Orangehorse

Visit site
There is a local firm that has a few very nice ponies and they do pony parties when the tots can groom, paint hooves and have a little ride, and I think that the keen ones can have lessons and progress.

If you have really good hacking then maybe separate the riding element and just charge local riders to park and ride and not have to bother with looking after animals yourself and keep the horses away from other visitors.

Are you in the UK? If so, then all the above rules and regulations apply.

A really good playground with adjacent tea room is a good attraction if you are anywhere near a town, with toddler play area maybe some under cover.

Best thing you can do is go on a fact-finding mission and visit similar attractions such as farm parks, etc. It is all about looking for the unique selling point.

rallan15

Visit site
Getting a license and insurance! Speak to your local council and determine what they require for you to have a license. It might also be worth looking at what the BHS require for accreditation. You will need insurance - both for the property / animals / tack but also employer's liability and 3rd party insurance. If you check this out early enough not only can you build the cost into your business plan but you may also be able to build in elements which reduce the insurance costs. If you don't already have it you'll need stables, a tack room and an office - which will need planning permission if you don't have that already.

One acre isn't much grazing - realistically that will do you 2/3 shetlands - unless you have exceptionally rich grass. Ideally you need one acre per horse -obviously smaller ponies need less. If you are going to be schooling in the same field then that reduces the available grass.
Thanks! We’re thinking about getting the stables that you can move so we won’t need planning permission.
The one acre field is just for the schooling. We have more land for the grazing.
I am hoping to have my BHS ride safe certification by the end of the year.

Theocat

Visit site
Honestly, if you need an activity that will a) keep small children entertained and b) bring in some cash, pony trekking isn't it. Start up a trekking business *because there is demand for a trekking business* by all means, but in the situation you describe, you need things like a really good play area, room for children to run around, maybe something like a Lego zone or an indoor play area section in the cafe.

If you do decide to go ahead you need to make sure you have a stonking business case first. By the time you have purchased, say, eight equine paragons and kitted them out, built stables and offices, paid rates and insurance, and advertised, how many 15 minute pony rides at £10 a go do you do you have to do before you have covered your start up costs and begin making a profit? What happens to that break even point when you start adding your running costs of feed, hay, bedding, vets, farriers, worming and staffing? With small children, you need one member of staff to lead each small child.

alainax

Visit site
Have you made a business plan? Even just to get the costsings? I did a super rough one and it make a loss unless you have no staff (which means no people to lead ponies).

Even with no rent, no rates, and no set up costs - the seasonal nature of the business and requirement to have competent people to lead ponies makes the running costs high and income low.

Clannad48

Visit site
Don't forget several hats and body protectors - several of each in various sizes of course, that will need to be replaced (hats after every fall) and when the regulations change.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Thanks! We’re thinking about getting the stables that you can move so we won’t need planning permission.
The one acre field is just for the schooling. We have more land for the grazing.
I am hoping to have my BHS ride safe certification by the end of the year.

Some people have found that planning is still required even with movable shelters/stables so you may need to look into that further.

Shay

Visit site
You often do need planning permission for mobile stables - and you will probably also need a change of use to run a business from the land rather than agricultural. Even if mobile stables are exempt in your area you'll need a secure tack room and an office which won't be.

BHS Ride safe is the most basic qualification to ride safely on the roads. It is nowhere near sufficient to run an equine business safely. You don't need to be an AI necessarily - but the equine pathway allows for ride / tour leader qualifications. The fact that you seem to think ride safe might be sufficient is slightly worrying...

pony_nuts

New User
Visit site
Perhaps you could start with a petting zoo type set up, bit more interesting for the kids and I guess would ease you into the management side of the animals without the stress of providing the rides right away. Did you mean your bhs ride leaders instead of the ride safe? If not, that's what I would be aiming for.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'd pick something more weather proof - a soft play area. ground level trampoline, fake beach all easier and cheaper than ponies and likely to appeal to a wider range of kid.

rallan15

Visit site
You often do need planning permission for mobile stables - and you will probably also need a change of use to run a business from the land rather than agricultural. Even if mobile stables are exempt in your area you'll need a secure tack room and an office which won't be.

BHS Ride safe is the most basic qualification to ride safely on the roads. It is nowhere near sufficient to run an equine business safely. You don't need to be an AI necessarily - but the equine pathway allows for ride / tour leader qualifications. The fact that you seem to think ride safe might be sufficient is slightly worrying...

Thanks! Don’t worry, I know I’ll need more than the ride safe I just said that because I haven’t decided which Pathway would be best for me yet.

As for the tack room, there’s space in the castle for the tack which is adjacent to the fields.

MissTyc

Visit site
I happen to work at a Castle. For us, no chance to put in mobile shelters or stables due to British heritage rules (we're not national trust or would be even harder to do anything). We had carriage rides on site for decades, but had to stop them in 2017 as things just got so complicated with regulations and insurance and this and that. The horses themselves were super dooper drafts, owned and trained by a local farmer who also does agricultural shows, etc. The driver was supplied by the farmer as well ... but it became unsustainable :( and despite the best care and welfare possible (and I kept an eye!), there were still complaints about the horses doing too much work; weather too hot/cold for them; etc. All these things are disastrous on trip adviser, so another hassle no longer worth facing.
Now the horses are unemployed :(

rallan15

Visit site
Perhaps you could start with a petting zoo type set up, bit more interesting for the kids and I guess would ease you into the management side of the animals without the stress of providing the rides right away. Did you mean your bhs ride leaders instead of the ride safe? If not, that's what I would be aiming for.

That would actually be a really good idea - thanks!
So I said the bus ride safe as I know it’s the most basic qualification so I thought it would be good to get that done. I was looking and thinking about which pathway I should go for.

Hack4fun

Visit site
Sounds exciting. Interesting idea. Two unhelpful thoughts. The school itself may need planning permission for change of use - strictly grazing horses on agricultural land is change of use so a school probably would be. Just double check the position regarding business rates to make sure you would not be caught. Making sure you have qualified people and have done your H&S risk assessments will be important. None of these are reasons not to do it - just build into your business planning and cost projections. Good luck. Sounds great.

Leo Walker

Visit site
How old are you? 15 I assume seeing as you are still at school. Given your age and lack of experience you need to shelve this idea for a few years!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2018/9780111165485

A few points to note, I advise as a licensing officer. The Government has a draft bill in progress at present which will become law in October 2018. The new legislation makes substantial changes to the current licensing processes for ALL animal based business. Costs will rocket and I can foresee many businesses in trouble in the not too distant future, especially the smaller less professional set ups.

Aside from the change in legislation, I very much doubt you would gain a licence without planning permission. Your professional qualifications, at present, fall far short of the licence requirements, but you can train and obtain the necessary certificates.

I would advise you undertake in depth business planning and costing before making any decisions and that information should be obtained from professionals. Your local authority planners, EHO and Licensing Officer will be able to give you relevant advice. You may find they hold planning and licensing surgeries where you can just walk in and speak to them.

rallan15

Visit site
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2018/9780111165485

A few points to note, I advise as a licensing officer. The Government has a draft bill in progress at present which will become law in October 2018. The new legislation makes substantial changes to the current licensing processes for ALL animal based business. Costs will rocket and I can foresee many businesses in trouble in the not too distant future, especially the smaller less professional set ups.

Aside from the change in legislation, I very much doubt you would gain a licence without planning permission. Your professional qualifications, at present, fall far short of the licence requirements, but you can train and obtain the necessary certificates.

I would advise you undertake in depth business planning and costing before making any decisions and that information should be obtained from professionals. Your local authority planners, EHO and Licensing Officer will be able to give you relevant advice. You may find they hold planning and licensing surgeries where you can just walk in and speak to them.

Thank you so much this is really helpful.

gallopingby

Visit site
rallan15 good luck with your latest venture, just wondered if this was a school holiday project? You don't seem very old. A soft play area with mechanical horse may be a suitable solution. You'd still need insurance etc and to work out a business plan but no live animals involved. It may also give you the opportunity to practice your riding. If the castle is set up as a tourist attraction and licensed correctly I'm sure the owners/manager would be able to source help from Historic England or the Tourist Board as well as any enterprise planning people.

Shay

Visit site
You said you were studying for your National 5's last summer At the time you could have been 14/15 taking exams the next summer (this summer) or you could have been 15/16 and taking them last summer. Making you 16/17 now. As school attendance (or some form) is now mandatory until 18 I would tend to assume you are still at school.

Your age would also make getting a license rather tricky I suspect.

pansymouse

Visit site
I think you're going to find the tracking thing a bit of a nightmare and not financially viable. I think with an acre available I would be looking at a good adventure playground themed to tap into the history of the castle. I think it would be more viable and have a broader appeal plus it won't need feeding, the vet, the farrier or get complaints that it's too hot/cold!