Pony with smashed teeth :(

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Yesterday I was checking the ponies over and I noticed my 4yo's teeth looked odd as he nuzzled his friend next door. On closer inspection, his front teeth were snapped/smashed badly. The two upper central teeth and a lower central tooth. They move and wobble on the breaks, it has gone right through.

No blood, no damage to the lips, tongue or gums. I rang the vet all panicked and sent him the photos. He said it's like nothing he's seen before! but there was not much he could do, so said just to leave them and not worry.
Well I did worry, so I rang my equine dentist and he will be out Monday. He didn't seem too concerned and said they will drop off and should grow back pretty well (does anyone have any experience of this?).

The pony is not at all bothered, still grazing and chomping away. He still manages to pull his rug off the wall easily enough! But I cringe thinking of him eating with them. I had ridden him that morning without noticing them and he went incredibly well, and was easy to bit, so there is no apparent pain.

Any ideas on what could have caused it? a kick seems obvious, but there is no other damage.

19748027_10212438283967799_656961170_o.jpg

19807086_10212438284887822_1420891279_o.jpg

Thanks

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
The picture isn't loading for me. If your EDT isn't concerned, are you certain your horse isn't just shedding the incisor caps?

be positive

Visit site
The picture isn't loading for me. If your EDT isn't concerned, are you certain your horse isn't just shedding the incisor caps?

They are well smashed permanent incisors, they will probably come away bit by bit and the rest of the tooth should push through into use in time, the only one I know that did similar knocked out her baby teeth damaging the roots so her permanent incisors never grew, she was perfectly fine and a very successful show pony despite her lacking several teeth.

I wonder if he either grabbed something violently or fell onto something, I would expect more damage to the soft tissue from a kick hard enough to break his teeth that badly.