Pony with very flat soles - advice on how to toughen them up

kizzyh

Visit site
Hi
Our pony has very flat soles so has always been a bit 'footy' when going over stoney ground. We've always managed this as he was mainly ridden on grass. We are now at a new yard where he is having to walk regularly on gravel and stoney paths, also he is being ridden a lot more. We have been there about 6 weeks now but his feet don't seem to be getting any tougher and he obviously finds it really uncomfortable as he will even stumble if he stands on a stone. His soles are extremely flat, not even slightly concave. we have considered shoes but really want to try to keep him barefoot if we can. Any ideas on what we could do to try to toughen his feet up would be gratefully received. If possible I would rather steer away from the likes of keratex etc as I would rather use something more natural. TIA :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Diet would be the first stop, what is he eating? After that checking for any metabolic issues and hoof boots in the meantime if he is struggling.

JillA

Visit site
Speak to Forageplus, they are very helpful, and suggested a couple of things for my horse who has thin soles, he is now on a supplement of methionine and other proteins. Also check that whoever trims him isn't trimming frog and sole - TBH he will probably self trim if he is walking over gravel and stone, especially if he is an older pony?
http://forageplus.co.uk/

paddy555

Visit site
Hi
Any ideas on what we could do to try to toughen his feet up would be gratefully received. If possible I would rather steer away from the likes of keratex etc as I would rather use something more natural. TIA :)

absolutely nothing toughens up very flat soles. You have to find the reason for them. Once you have removed the reason he will grow his own concavity. Protecting the feet with boots will probably be essential for his comfort and protection but what is he eating, how is he kept and what is his routine?

kizzyh

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, he is currently fed high fibre nuts (soaked to a mash due to dental issues, he has a wave mouth and is 21 yo) with a handful of chaff and a glug of oil. The feed is what was recommended by the vet as he has cushings(on half a tab of prascend per day) and we have had problems getting weight on him, however his weight is now not an issue and he is looking the best he has for a long time. He is stabled through the day and out on a night, we are currently increasing his workload as he hasn't done much for the last year due to health. He is ridden for about 20mins to half hr a 2/3times a week, either in a sand school or out on the fields. we don't intend on doing any competing or such like on him but would just like him to be more comfortable when being ridden, and he is also much more forward going when his feet aren't bothering him which is much easier for my daughters as they are just starting to want to ride independently.

cptrayes

Visit site
[SUB][/SUB]The Cushings is almost certainly the cause. I think he probably needs boots or shoes. Many Cushings horses are like this, and they can be very difficult to manage barefoot.

If you decide to shoe for his comfort, please don't think of it as a failure. It's just the disease he has that makes it necessary sometimes.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Is his cushings well controlled?

Given his age and condition I would probably be investing in some boots (and poss pads) for him sooner rather than later to keep him comfortable. I would also start giving him a good vit/mineral supp - prohoof/forage plus etc.

eta posted at the same time as CP!

kizzyh

Visit site
he was diagnosed with cushings last summer and seems so much better now so I would say that we are managing it well but we'll see how he goes when it comes to shedding his winter coat. Will definitely have a look for a good supp and have just read on another post about boots and a company who hire them out so you can try them first. thanks for all the advice.

kizzyh

Visit site
looked up how to measure for boots and will be going armed with tape measure tomorrow. Was quite surprised at how reasonably priced cavello boots are.

ellie11987

Visit site
[SUB][/SUB]The Cushings is almost certainly the cause. I think he probably needs boots or shoes. Many Cushings horses are like this, and they can be very difficult to manage barefoot.

If you decide to shoe for his comfort, please don't think of it as a failure. It's just the disease he has that makes it necessary sometimes.

This. I personally am very pro-barefoot but in this case I would probably shoe. I'd still keep a low sugar/starch BF diet with pro hoof or a forage plus balancer.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I have a flat footed pony with EMS and he cannot be barefoot when ridden, despite being fine when younger. I use boots for ridden work. Cavallos are really easy to use, as are deltas, back country and gloves. The added advantage is that you can also apply foot treatments (mine suffers thrush) before riding and the boot ensures that it stays on longer than 2 seconds!

kizzyh

Visit site
Fransurrey do you boot on all four feet, he doesn't seem too bad on his back feet so thinking we will probably try just front feet first. I have looked at lots of boots and think we will be ordering cavellos. How did your pony take to them when you first used them?

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Bear in mind that a pasture trim may just keep the flat soles esp if done every 6-8 weeks, I moved to a UKNHCP trimmer and have mine trimmed for riding every 5 weeks, put her on forage plus hoof balancer and have been astonished at the change, the pony who just 'did' have flat feet now has actual concavity and is landing heel first not toe first (and hence not getting sore). But echo also re boots for sensitive times.

The right boot will depend entirely on the confirmation and shape of your pony hooves. Mine has round hooves and the best for her are Boas and renegades but longer than wide hooves might need something different.

I only boot on fronts, as that's all mine needs, and then only sometimes

Fransurrey

Visit site
Fransurrey do you boot on all four feet, he doesn't seem too bad on his back feet so thinking we will probably try just front feet first. I have looked at lots of boots and think we will be ordering cavellos. How did your pony take to them when you first used them?

I do boot on all four feet, because when he's footy, he's footy all round and we have some very sharo stony tracks around here, so it just takes away the worry. Normally I wouldn't need boots at this time of year, but the weather has changed that, so I use back country on the fronts and transitions on the backs, all with little studs in for grip on the slippery grass slopes we have.

He loved Cavallos and also backcountry. He doesn't seem to like long gaiters, so easyboot epic and gloves weren't a hit (I converted my gloves to back country by buying the gaiter and comfort cup at a later date). The cavallos were too big, though and he kept tripping over his own feet due to the bulk. The BCs have less of a profile, so suit us better. However, he is a midget (12hh), so any profile affects him more than it would a bigger pony/horse.

kizzyh

Visit site
I do boot on all four feet, because when he's footy, he's footy all round and we have some very sharo stony tracks around here, so it just takes away the worry. Normally I wouldn't need boots at this time of year, but the weather has changed that, so I use back country on the fronts and transitions on the backs, all with little studs in for grip on the slippery grass slopes we have.

He loved Cavallos and also backcountry. He doesn't seem to like long gaiters, so easyboot epic and gloves weren't a hit (I converted my gloves to back country by buying the gaiter and comfort cup at a later date). The cavallos were too big, though and he kept tripping over his own feet due to the bulk. The BCs have less of a profile, so suit us better. However, he is a midget (12hh), so any profile affects him more than it would a bigger pony/horse.
I might have to change my mind on the brand of boot I get after reading this, our little man is only 12hh too and i must admit I am concerned about how he will cope with wearing them. Thanks for the tips.

cptrayes

Visit site
MY TB had flat sole once I changed to a decent trimmer and s suitable corrective trimming it developed concavity in no time.

No change from shod to barefoot? No increase in work? No change of diet?

I find it difficult to believe that a trim alone can restore concavity to a flat soled foot. Was there nothing else that changed at all, even the weather?

cptrayes

Visit site
A false concavity can be cut!

Ah yes, perhaps I should have defined that I mean the kind of concavity which is created as a result of either strengthening the hoof wall so that it stops splaying out and dropping the sole, or the kind that happens when the pedal bone is held higher on the hoof capsule.

I can't see how either of those, which often go together, can be achieved by removing anything from the foot.

maccachic

Visit site
The only change was a change of trimmer had been with the previous one for a year no improvement, prior to this horse had been in a paddock with no shoes for 4 years unsure of trimming regime then, previous owner. Always been on a high fibre diet however did add oats to the diet with the new trimmer but changes had already been occurring.

It was not cut. Like Ive said before the leave em alone approach isn't always the best approach and sometimes you need to look at other options like anything with horses.

This horse was a raced Tb, who had evented at a high level with shoes and was 11 when I purchased him and prior to me buying him had sat around for up to 4 years doing nothing.

Im not a trimmer however my understanding of the process is that the foot was trimmed to allow it grow correctly - remove pressure from the under run, encourage the angles to adapt, reduce the flare etc. I changed trimmers while mine was sick, same style but her trim was slightly off and we went back a few steps, this was corrected at the yearly retraining seminar and she has since trimmed my new horse with no issues.

So there is def factors involved with the trim.

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
Thanks for that explanation MC, it would have been nice to have been able to see your horse in person but you're a wee bit far for dropping in for coffee :)