Pony won’t bend right

J_sarahd

Visit site
So, we have always struggled with the right rein. It’s definitely his weaker rein. When I got him, it was a mess and we couldn’t get anything good out of it. We couldn’t canter on the correct lead and he kept facing left.

Now, with a bit of work, we can get the correct lead and our walk is so good and bendy. But, as soon as I ask him to trot, he reverts back to “counter bend”. He can very easily do carrot stretches on both side and is in fact slightly better at them going right (the way he doesn’t bend properly in trot) than left.

Does this sound like a training issue or a pain issue? I have a really good instructor who is helping us with lots of spiralling etc on the bad rein and some days he’ll offer it nicely and be good, but some days (like today) I have no hope.

My theory is it is his weaker rein and so he tires quicker on that rein and finds it harder. But I want to know what more knowledgable people suggest.

Oh, he is also slightly better in canter, in terms of his bend.

ponies4ever

Visit site
Id immediately suspect a pain issue and would want it checking but otherwise how is your straightness as you could be throwing him off and making him compensate without realising it?

J_sarahd

Visit site
Do you think it could be neck/back pain or ulcers? Been doing a bit of research and he does seem to have some symptoms of ulcers (girthiness, reluctance to go forward, bucking when asking for canter, spooking) so do you think they’re linked? And what route shall I go down?

I feel like a bad horse owner because I haven’t got a clue what to do!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yep could well be any of those things esp given the additional info there - best to start by consulting your vet.

Reactions: TPO

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'd have a really good bodyworker out first if he is otherwise sound and well looking. But given the info about ulcers I would want him scoping as well.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Does anyone know how much scoping usually costs? I’ve heard it’s really expensive (obviously will have it done if I need to)

Melody Grey

Visit site
Is this the same horse as the ‘headshaker’ you posted about recently? If so, as per advice on that thread, I think you need your physio at least and preferably a vet. There’s a lot going on here if it’s the same horse and very possibly all linked together.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Is this the same horse as the ‘headshaker’ you posted about recently? If so, as per advice on that thread, I think you need your physio at least and preferably a vet. There’s a lot going on here if it’s the same horse and very possibly all linked together.

I’m going to get someone out to see him very soon. I agree, now that I’ve written it down, and believe it is all linked together. Ulcers and headshaking from pain. Feel bad that I didn’t catch it sooner, but I’m going to do everything I can to make him feel better

Reactions: TPO

mariew

Visit site
Not sure you can diagnose something from a few comments on a forum, I agree if the horse has issues you should get vet out as a first and see what they think, then whatever follow up professionals are recommended or you feel you need.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
You can certainly do something, book a vet work up! Is he insured? Thinking back, my gelding could never bend right perfectly.. but use to go on as hes so loyal and genuine. We worked around it, instructors never commented but a friend rode him years ago who said he literally can't bend right properly although hes chunky so thought it was lack of suppleness and it did improved slightly. He was diagnosed with severe neck arthritis 6 months ago after suddenly unable to canter, yet 2 vets struggled to find the issue at first!

J_sarahd

Visit site
My friend is riding him this afternoon to see if it’s a problem caused by my riding or not.

He has physio in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it’s just a bit of tension/stiffness.

Thank you everyone for your help. I get such anxiety when it comes to my pony, so I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing by him. I’m still a fairly new horse owner (hence all the silly questions/threads). I just hope he will be okay

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
My friend is riding him this afternoon to see if it’s a problem caused by my riding or not.

He has physio in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it’s just a bit of tension/stiffness.

Thank you everyone for your help. I get such anxiety when it comes to my pony, so I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing by him. I’m still a fairly new horse owner (hence all the silly questions/threads). I just hope he will be okay

We are always happy to help with questions here.. Is he your first horse? I am guessing by your text you are fairly young. Worth getting a friend on him first to see how he goes, ideally a experienced rider. I'd personally get the vet before the physio as 3 physios couldn't see any issue with mine (not their fault, they look at muscles and can only tell it as they see it) and it will be £50 towards the vet visit.

Is he insured? How old is he? That is a big deciding factor.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Yeah he is my first horse. Always had loans and shares, but it’s true that it’s a whole different ball game having your own. Like I said, my friend is having a sit tonight. She is more experienced than me (mainly because her horse is a prat). I think I’m going to give the vet a call today. He had a badly fitted saddle when I bought him, so I’m presuming that’s the cause of the pain and ulcers. Or rather, I’m hoping! Saddle now fits.

He is insured yeah and he’s 6

Annagain

Visit site
Not bending right was the first symptom Archie showed - which progressed to stopping when jumping (particularly on the right rein) and then lameness. He could (and still can) do perfect carrot stretches as standing still isn't a problem! We've had 12 years of carefully managing his foot issues since then. I'd get a vet to give him a full work up - if it reveals nothing at least you'll have the confidence to crack on with solving the problem.

LegOn

Visit site
If you can get a physio or Osteo that treats both horse & rider - you could be crooked and blocking him somewhere, just like them we have weaker sides aswell. A physio that is also a rider themselves are invaluable at seeing what we are doing biomechnically which can inhibit things like bending in our horses! Worth a try :)

J_sarahd

Visit site
If you can get a physio or Osteo that treats both horse & rider - you could be crooked and blocking him somewhere, just like them we have weaker sides aswell. A physio that is also a rider themselves are invaluable at seeing what we are doing biomechnically which can inhibit things like bending in our horses! Worth a try :)

That’s why I’m getting my friend to ride him so see if it’s me or not. But I think with the fact I’m pretty sure he has ulcers, I think it’s pain somewhere, unfortunately

AGray825

Visit site
So I have a pony that's very much like this, she's extremely bent to the left and has terrible problems on the right rein (can't circle properly, has to work hard to get onto the correct canter lead, etc etc)
I had a physio (who is also a qualified equine vet) out for her the other week (first physio since I got her... previously just had the McTimoney Chiro and got my vet to give her a lameness workup back in Feb - all clear on that front) and the physio discovered that she's incredibly locked up around her shoulder area/base of neck on both sides but worse on the right and also around her poll. Everywhere else she was as flexible as a baby even at 20 years... but she did say it's a common problem she's found with ex show ponies, she's treating another Welsh D with an identical problem

We've got a variety of exercises and massage techniques to help and now that my instructor knows he is teaching me a sympathetic way of encouraging flexion to the right without forcing the issue (hand further up and out apparently... doesn't look pretty but we're going for practicalities right now)

Of course her reaction to discomfort is to go as fast as possible.... but we'll get there in the end!

I would definitely say get a vet to have a look and rule out lameness and then a good qualified physio out to have a look and check for any locked up areas.

(as an FYI my girl also had low grade ulcers... but her way of going didn't really change that much after treatment so it is worth getting that check if you're insured - the scoping isn't too bad at roughly £200, but the treatment is super expensive - think my course of gastroguard was around £900
but I would have the vet out for a lameness workup as a higher priority)

J_sarahd

Visit site
So I have a pony that's very much like this, she's extremely bent to the left and has terrible problems on the right rein (can't circle properly, has to work hard to get onto the correct canter lead, etc etc)
I had a physio (who is also a qualified equine vet) out for her the other week (first physio since I got her... previously just had the McTimoney Chiro and got my vet to give her a lameness workup back in Feb - all clear on that front) and the physio discovered that she's incredibly locked up around her shoulder area/base of neck on both sides but worse on the right and also around her poll. Everywhere else she was as flexible as a baby even at 20 years... but she did say it's a common problem she's found with ex show ponies, she's treating another Welsh D with an identical problem

We've got a variety of exercises and massage techniques to help and now that my instructor knows he is teaching me a sympathetic way of encouraging flexion to the right without forcing the issue (hand further up and out apparently... doesn't look pretty but we're going for practicalities right now)

Of course her reaction to discomfort is to go as fast as possible.... but we'll get there in the end!

I would definitely say get a vet to have a look and rule out lameness and then a good qualified physio out to have a look and check for any locked up areas.

(as an FYI my girl also had low grade ulcers... but her way of going didn't really change that much after treatment so it is worth getting that check if you're insured - the scoping isn't too bad at roughly £200, but the treatment is super expensive - think my course of gastroguard was around £900
but I would have the vet out for a lameness workup as a higher priority)

Our canter leads are actually better on the right rein than the left. And my friend rode him yesterday and said that she thinks he is strong on the right rein, but he bends incorrectly. Apparently her horse was like that and he was very tight in his neck, back, hindquarters, basically everywhere. He came with a badly fitting saddle and was ridden by a lot of people who were too big when he was being brought on (Men of 5ft 11 when he is just 13.3 and not particularly chunky). So I think that’s caused some damage to his back, of some sort.

I will of course be getting someone out to give him a check over.

Leo Walker

Visit site
So now you know there is an issue it needs to be done as a priority. Call the vet now and discuss a plan of action with them. They may want to see him or they may be happy to recommend an osteo/physio etc to them. But it needs doing before you ride him again.

J_sarahd

Visit site
He has a physio appointment on 6th. So hopefully that will get to the bottom of this and a bit of readjusting is all he needs

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
That’s why I’m getting my friend to ride him so see if it’s me or not. But I think with the fact I’m pretty sure he has ulcers, I think it’s pain somewhere, unfortunately

With problems on the right rein, I'd put a bit of money on it being hind gut ulcers, probably due to stress (pain) of ill fitting saddle. Scoping only shows stomach ulcers - hind gut ulcers need a test for blood in the faeces. But the last one I had in (supposedly a buckjumper from an ill fitting saddle, then exacerbated by no turnout in winter) the symptoms were SO obvious I didn't bother testing - just started her on Acid Ease and within 3 weeks it was clear that had been the problem. Symptoms included cribbing, flank sensitivity on the right side, girthiness, and a VERY slight lameness on the right hind. She stayed on the Acid Ease fo another 4 weeks while we brought her back into work. No bucking but you had to be careful with using legs as she'd tense up and back come right up - she had to be encouraged with voice first. The slight lameness came and went for several weeks - I'm sure it was remembered pain from using the right hind - so she used it as little as possible. Full cure and passed a 5 stage vetting and went to a new home (with instructions on the management she needed - lots of turnout, plenty of forage, etc.) and all is well.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
No. You already suspect ulcers so you need to have the pony scoped. Acid ease wont cure ulcers although it may well dampen down symptoms.

Leo - since when did scoping detect hind gut ulcers - which are the most likely cause of this horse's symptoms?? And no - nothing CURES ulcers unless the conditions that caused them are fixed as well. So saddle fitter, physio, more turnout AND the Acid Ease does the job well.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Leo - since when did scoping detect hind gut ulcers - which are the most likely cause of this horse's symptoms?? And no - nothing CURES ulcers unless the conditions that caused them are fixed as well. So saddle fitter, physio, more turnout AND the Acid Ease does the job well.

Usually ulcers are secondary (as OP said she thinks above) specially with the fact he is struggling to bend one way. I'd get the vet first for lameness work up, specially as hes insured.. to decide if the primary cause has been fixed by fitting saddle or something else. No point giving Acid if the primary cause hasn't been found surely? If horse had a work up and nothing was found i'd agree try Ulcer Aid but sounds like he has something else underlying to me.

After 3 physios telling me my mare was only mareish (and to keep riding) when I decided to try physios before going to the vet on my first pony, it took x-rays to show she had severe kissing spine and wish I went with the vet route first and do for all of mine now.

Good luck OP.

tristar

Visit site
i`m sure you should do all the physical checks, but

i would work him in trot on a large circles and only on large movements and gentle bends, so he becomes supple over a period of time, and this will allow him to bring his inside hind leg more under the body, i would keep in his comfort zone and reward all good efforts by not asking too much in one go, and if he is having a bad day i would back right off the trot bend work, i would use large serpentines and loops back to the track in walk only because everything happens slower so its easier for him to process.

Leo Walker

Visit site

The OP stated that she believes her horse has ulcers. You decided that a horse refusing to bend and head shaking was clearly caused by hind gut ulcers. The horse may or may not have hind gut issues, but it is incredibly dangerous to be advising a novice horse owner with an unsound horse to start dishing out home treatments, and I am very surprised that someone with all your experience would do this.

I am also very surprised that the OPs vet has cleared a physio visit knowing that the horse is head shaking and refusing to bend.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The OP stated that she believes her horse has ulcers. You decided that a horse refusing to bend and head shaking was clearly caused by hind gut ulcers. The horse may or may not have hind gut issues, but it is incredibly dangerous to be advising a novice horse owner with an unsound horse to start dishing out home treatments, and I am very surprised that someone with all your experience would do this.

I am also very surprised that the OPs vet has cleared a physio visit knowing that the horse is head shaking and refusing to bend.

Oh Gee, Leo - sorry to upset you. Acid Ease or similar will help if there ARE ulcers - whether stomach or hind gut. And when it comes to problems that far too many vets would dismiss as 'behavioural', a physio is a good start too. Vets will happily run up a £1,000+ account without ANY useful answers - a physio visit and a month on Acid Ease will lost less than 10% and probably between them provide an answer. So what is wrong with that in your expert opinion??

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
After 3 physios telling me my mare was only mareish (and to keep riding) when I decided to try physios before going to the vet on my first pony, it took x-rays to show she had severe kissing spine and wish I went with the vet route first and do for all of mine now.

Good luck OP.

Well I'd suggest your physios weren't very good then. My physio has correctly 'diagnosed' 2 KS horses - she DID think another MIGHT have and as he was a half brother to the two who had KS, I was happy to have him x-rayed. In fact, with him it was a calcified ligament along the back - so she wasn't too far wrong (although that wasn't as serious.) For ALL moderate lameness, or stiffness in neck or spine, she is my first port of call.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Well I'd suggest your physios weren't very good then. My physio has correctly 'diagnosed' 2 KS horses - she DID think another MIGHT have and as he was a half brother to the two who had KS, I was happy to have him x-rayed.

Wouldn't say that considering 2 physios were recommended by the vets and another was recommended by a friend who competes at regionals and has treated 4* horses. I think it depends on the horse, some hide it well enough to not be noticed. She showed behavioral/mareish issues yet it was infact a huge degree of pain. I suppose everyone's different, I would usually go straight to the vets depending on the issue.

After messaging OP it turns out this horse had a 5* vetting in January (which wasn't in original post) when he was purchased and has had a occurring bad back, so advised to try the physio first considering he passed the 5* 6 months ago baring in mind vettings are only valid for that day but is a good place for OP to start! Ulcers are possible specially considering he hasn't been in his new home long he could be stressed. I was under the impression the OP had him a long time and he'd always been this way, if that was the case I'd go to the vets first.