Poo picking and birds?

Marnie

Visit site
Slightly odd one... my two are back out 24/7 with hay at night and I try to poo pick daily, but at least 5 times a week. Something, and I think it is birds, is picking through the droppings and scattering them over 3 or 4 times the area that they would normally take up. This is making a real mess and making it hard to clear up properly.

Has anyone had similar? I don't think there is anything I can do to stop whatever it is, but any suggestions on the best way to clear up would be appreciated!

Nasicus

Visit site
Yup, I have a certain time-frame I need to poo pick before the birds get to it, they seem to come flocking over about 2-3pm and start picking through the poops looking for seeds, bugs, linseed etc. Use a rake and a skip if you want to get it all up without breaking your back, but agree it's a total P.I.T.A!

Marnie

Visit site
I'm glad it's not just me! I've never had the problem before and it is very irritating. I wouldn't mind, but the girls only get a handful of hifi and hay so there can't be much to find in their droppings!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
So annoying isn’t it! OH has hens and I’m actually quite enjoying the bird flu lockdown as they trash it really badly, I have to race them to the stables even or they will scratch the beds all over ?‍♀️

Widgeon

Visit site
I've found it's much worse when we feed whole oats, i.e. not rolled or bruised etc. We did this for a couple of months once when we had a supply issue and the crows and jackdaws were raking through it so poo picking took (no joke) three times as long. As soon as we went back to rolled oats it settled back down to "normal" levels of bird-related poo chucking! So anything in the horses' diet that might not be being fully digested will make it worse, IME. But they do it all the time.

Marnie

Visit site
I agree that it is nature etc, but it is also a bit pain to clear up and is spoiling the ground as however well I rake the droppings up, the ponies won't eat there. It's just odd that I haven't noticed it happening before :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Slightly odd one... my two are back out 24/7 with hay at night and I try to poo pick daily, but at least 5 times a week. Something, and I think it is birds, is picking through the droppings and scattering them over 3 or 4 times the area that they would normally take up. This is making a real mess and making it hard to clear up properly.

Has anyone had similar? I don't think there is anything I can do to stop whatever it is, but any suggestions on the best way to clear up would be appreciated!
they do it here, usually its poo with grain in as they search for any undigested grain. You could use a childs leaf rake or the rake which comes with some poo buckets.

Surbie

Visit site
They don't do it all year ime - once there is more feed available for them elsewhere, they go eat that instead. They don't call this time of year the Hungry Gap for nothing.

windswoo

Visit site
We get it for a few weeks and then it stops. We use a shavings fork to pick up the poo and it actually makes it easier to pick and the piles don't seem as big.
I wish they'd do it for longer.

cauda equina

Visit site
I think the birds are scrabbling in the droppings more atm as the dung beetles are out - the little bronze/black ones, not the big scaraby jobs

HashRouge

Visit site
It's something to do with the time of year I think? I poo pick year round but it is only this time of year that I notice it. I quite like it, I leave some of the spread out piles top fertilise the soil. My field is quite big though, I can see it would be annoying if you had limited space!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

yes here too but bought one of these plastic rakes.