Poo picking - is this reasonable?

Hippona

Visit site
We get 2 barrows per day off of the paddock when 3 are out 24x7 in summer, they are 3 14h to 15h so similar size. What you're being asked to do is excessive, no one animal could produce that much in the time, the amount you were already doing is a fair amount IMO.

Same here. When 3 are out for 12-16 hours per day I get one barrow a day to clear the paddock.

spookypony

Visit site
The BHS Complete Manual of Horse and Stable Management (rev. 2008) states that a horse produces, on average, 8 to 12 poos per 24 hours (p. 164). I must have poly-poopers in my paddock, then, because I'm pretty sure that my 3 equines average roughly 16 poos each in that time-frame, which would be 48 poos/24 hours for all three, or 2 wheelbarrows at 24 poos/wheelbarrow (standard orange one from B&Q). :D From any single equine, I would thus expect 2 wheelbarrows every 3 days, or (if they're loaded a bit more heavily) about 4 each week. Experience has shown that the Spooky Pony is probably responsible for driving up the paddock average all by himself, so if the OP's share cob is a bit more conservative, then the 3--4 barrows/week should be just about right! :D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
No chance! about a barrow and a half from 2 out 24 hours. I would never do more than one barrow in one session.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
Unfortunately my trio are complete s*** machines & their piles resemble elephant poos so tend to get 2 to 3 barrows fully a day lucky one tends to go in a particular place which helps. The old yard l used to be on asked liveries to poo pick but their was one two of us out of five people who did it so from what you've been asked to do l think someone is taking the mikey. Think you need to stand your ground & make it clear that you're doing your fair share & if they don't like it then it's tough. It sounds like someone is expecting you to do their share due to them being too lazy

irishdraft

Visit site
OP I am an expert on poo picking unfortunately ! I have a 14hh cob here on 24/7 grass & it poos 4 Britain 22 in 24 hrs she is in a field with plenty of grass so I generally clear 2 barrowloads a day from her field there is also a 13.2 pony in with her.My own horses both 16.2 ish at grass 24/7 produce another 2 barrowloads a day so 4 barrowloads day. If you only ride 3 days a week I think 3 barrowloads a week is probably more like it.

Jnhuk

Visit site
I am with those who poo at a higher rate. My lot are probably averaging 18 poos per day each when out 24/7 which means a lot of poo picking.

Over the Xmas holidays, my three have been producing enough to fill three wheelbarrows each day.

I think it would be fair to do a wheelbarrow each day you are down for sharing so if three days per week, three wheelbarrows per week. However, I think you need to clarify things as other folks have mentioned as if behind on poo picking, it soon builds up which is why in the short term, it may be excessive.

cappucino

Visit site
Thanks for all your advice and figures ! :)

She did mean permanently 15 per week!!! I replied with all your helpful figures and suggested that it was excessive, and that we should all make an effort to clear the field and then keep a better check on what everyone does on a weekly basis.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
I work on a barrow a day per horse. If I miss clearing it due to poor weather etc it does mean doing 5 barrows at a time to catch up. If that's the case OP then it should just be until the field is cleared. IMO this is the type of thing that spoils a share it is after all sharing the pros and cons of owning a horse and as such the owner should share tasks both enjoyable and crappy (no pun intended) with their sharer.

Shantara

Visit site
I'd be getting a smaller barrow…. :)

haha, this is what I did! When I moved Ned, I discovered he did a very small wheelbarrow full a day. I had previously been asked to take out 1-3 (huge) barrows a day. I used to do it for YO because I liked being helpful for her, but when YM took over and started making life difficult, I rather resented it, having discovered how little he did. So, I bought a tiny wheelbarrow and did her 3 barrows, HA!

charliecrisps

Visit site
My two cobs do 22-24 per day between them so around 11-12 poos a day each. Is yours in field on his own to count? Someone is taking the mickey + getting you to do her poo picking I would suggest or maybe she genuinely thinks youre not doing enough... especially if maybe someone else in field claiming they did more than they have?

If there is a load to do as no one been doing it over xmas then maybe suggest you all go out and clear the field together then id get back to picking max 15 poos per visit!

Last edited: