Poo picking with a bad back

benson21

Visit site
What do you use to poo pick when you have a bad back? I done 2 hrs of poo picking yesterday with a shavings fork, and I am in agony today!

riding_high

Visit site
shavings fork or a pooper scooper. no matter what i use i will be hurting the next day if my back is playing me up but i manage to limit it by only picking up small amounts in each scoop.

ColandMe

Visit site
I use a scoop and rake, but having also woken up this morning with a bad back, poo picking's going to have to wait, think pushing the barrow will be too painful. Don't know why it hurts, was busy yesterday but no more than usual, went to bed fine, woke up with painful lower back.

autumn7

Visit site
Pooper scooper but I wear a back support for when backs a bit dicky. Well worth it for those heavier/ bending type chores. Try one. Saved my back when digging out 6 months of deep littered stable earlier in the summer too - and comfy to ride in also if desperate.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I think the shavings forks are the easiest thing to use. The metal ones seem easier to use on grass than ones with plastic tines.

I find those manure scoops with the handles really hard work.

I try and do a few mins everyday - 2 hours of it would probably finish me off, especially in this heat :)

benson21

Visit site
marigolds? As in rubber gloves? My god I cant touch my knees bending, let alone getting to the floor!!!:D:eek::eek::D

MiCsarah

Visit site
I use a popper scooper but the short ones. I find them so much easier to use and don't get half as many blisters

fatpiggy

Visit site
Little and often is the name of the game. I can usually manage the fork ok but pushing the barrow is very painful. When its really dicey, I wear my trusty lumbar support pulled up really tight.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i use a pooper scooper as you can lean on it to bend down and also helps with straightening up, yes 2 hours is too much. i do mine (only 1 horse) every day and it takes about 15 mins, i cant leave it for more than 2 days as my back would not take it. i sympathise with you as i have had a dodgy back for many years and horses dont help!!!!!:(:(

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Occasionally I use a pooperscooper & little rake thing, but usually I use a large plastic shovel which I was given as a pressie over 15 yrs ago!

However, to keep my back damage down to a min, I poop-scoop 2 x per day. This means I never get overloaded - if they were in, I'd be mucking out & then skipping out later anyway.
Means on the odd occasion it can be left till the next time I go & no drama's except extra barrow load.

The only variation on this is in deepest winter when they are in overnight & then the daytime field poop is left till weekends if its too dark to see at one end of the day or the other, but this is only for a few weeks.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
schools out now - get some unsuspecting child to help! :D

hehe, i'm paying my son £1 a barrow at the mo, he's clearing a paddock that hadn't been picked for a while, normally i try and keep on top of it so that it's little and often rather than an hour or 2's worth!

I have a long handled pooper scooper and rake but i might give a shavings fork a try, less bending:)

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
i use a short handled poopa scoop - at 5ft 3 the long handled ones don't agree with me.

I usually poopick every day, takes 20 mins for a 16h tb and his 12h girlfriend (who had little annoying malteaser sized poos)

However, with only 3 weeks to go til my due date, i've had to give up the daily poopicking as i can barely waddle, let alone roll a full barrow round a field.... lol