Poo picking

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Any field containing a horse or pony should be poo-picked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't agree with you there Becky. Our horses are rotated, and the fields harrowed and rolled. When you graze horses over larger areas it's not so practical to poo pick.

However, two acres is easy.

ecrozier

Visit site
Yes, a 2 acre field will be disgusting within weeks if you don't poo pick it.
Agree with amymay though, we don't poo pick - yard has a machine that does it every month or so.

MillionDollar

Visit site
I would definitely poo pick a 2 acre paddock, after a week it will be getting full.

I have heard about harrowing here doesn't really work, BUT I have 4 on 8 acres, theres no way I have time to poo pick that, so I just harrow, haven't had problems with worms. The other paddocks are 1 acre so are poo picked.

JulieL

Visit site
My 2 girls are on approx 2 acres and I poo pick everyday - so, yep defo poo pick as often as possible

argyle

www.southerncrossstud.com
We poo pick about 18 acres every day but then we have a quad and it is only my own horses here. In my experience it can get difficult in yards where some do it but others don't pull their weight.

We also find that because we don't have lots of horses coming and going we don't have to worm. As one of my horses colicked after each time he was wormed our vet advised us not to worm but to poo pick daily and have regular worm counts done. In the last 5 years this has worked really well and if we ever have to worm one of the youngsters for example we know exactly what wormer to use from the worm count.

EmilyGrant36

Visit site
Talking of worm counts - how much do they cost, how often do they need to be done? Am thinking when I move to my new yard that I will use this method rather than worming unnecersarily (*sp). It will only be my horses and horses of close friends who will follow what I do so it should work as we poo pick everyday anyway!

BeckyD

Visit site
My yard is moving onto this now - I think the whole year will cost £35-40 just for the counts. The worm counts from poo are about £8, but once a year a blood test must be done (I think for tapeworms???), which costs more and obviously involves a vet visit. It'll be cheaper for us because of being on such a big yard. Then you only worm if you have a problem with an individual horse. But, we have to poo-pick weekly, no matter what.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You are right beckyD. It just spreads them about. We dont have the climate for harrowing poo here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true, but if you rotate the grazing with other livestock - sheep and cattle - plus the harrowing and resting it all helps.

argyle

[ QUOTE ]
My yard is moving onto this now - I think the whole year will cost £35-40 just for the counts. The worm counts from poo are about £8, but once a year a blood test must be done (I think for tapeworms???), which costs more and obviously involves a vet visit. It'll be cheaper for us because of being on such a big yard. Then you only worm if you have a problem with an individual horse. But, we have to poo-pick weekly, no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is for tapeworms, our vet advised us to do it autumn or spring so we try and tie it in with when jabs etc are due for someone to keep costs down.

Dressagebabe

Visit site
Can I just mention that Worm Counts DON'T cover all worms!! You need to blood test a couple of times a year too if your going that route.

argyle

[ QUOTE ]
Can I just mention that Worm Counts DON'T cover all worms!! <font color="red"> </font> You need to blood test a couple of times a year <font color="red"> </font> too if your going that route.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true and has already been mentioned. I don't think they work for all yards either but the system suits us.

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
We do not pooh pick our winter field. And only pooh pick the summer ones to save the grass. We have excellent worm count results.

Theresa_F

Visit site
My two are on a paddock of about 1 1/2 acres in summer and I poo pick nearly every day. In winter I poo pick the winter field at the weekend until January when it is a mud patch and impossible to do, plus there is little grazing left and they have hay put out.

I now only worm count April before going on summer fields and September so I know if I need a tape or combo worm in October as they are normally low/clear and have been for several years. I worm in December for encysted red worms and worm for tape in October at the end of the grazing session.

I don't blood test for tape. I discussed this with my vet who said not worth it. He told me just worm for tape annually as I do poo pick and my horses have no signs of colic or retaining weight problems which can be a sign of tapeworm.

JessPickle

Visit site
We poo pick as much as we can and have a fairly small paddock. Spent an hour today as we haven't managed to do it for a week. Definetly worth it though. I would say a 2 acre paddock needs to be poo picked yes

D

Donkeymad

If at all posible, it is always best to poo pick and to do it daily. On two acres definately. Of course, with huge areas, it cannot be done manually, if at all. I have worm counted for 6 years now using Abbey Diagnostics, who start at £6. I have therfore only had to dose for Tape worms twice yearly.
Harrowing - on it's own - does NOT work in the UK.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Don't talk such twaddle beckyD, do you really think I should go out and poo pick for 43 horses every day? It would take all day long!
You can manage your pasture if you have sufficient grazing by resting it periodically and harrowing. using sheep also helps maintain it.
Two acres could be managed if you split it into small paddocks and move the horses on every time the grass gets low. By the time you get back to the first paddock it should have been dispersed by the rain/birds or you may have to drag a harrow round it.
Ideally you need a larger area but I would rather drag the harrow than poo pick myself.. (it won't work unless you sub divide it, otherwise you spread muck over their entire grazing area which is nasty..)

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Crikey.... never
blush.gif
poopicked back home...

BeckyD

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't talk such twaddle beckyD, do you really think I should go out and poo pick for 43 horses every day? It would take all day long!
You can manage your pasture if you have sufficient grazing by resting it periodically and harrowing. using sheep also helps maintain it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Twaddle? Excuse me for repeating my previous vet's words. Perhaps you'd like to tell him he speaks "twaddle"?

Yes, grazing sheep will reduce the worm burden in a paddock, as will resting it for long enough. Harrowing will not. Generally accepted veterinary guidance is that harrowing will spread worms over all the pasture (unless it's a hot climate such that they get burnt in the sun, effectively).

Whether you choose to poo-pick or not for your horses is entirely your own welfare decision, based upon the prevailing circumstances. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how to look after their own horse(s).