Poo scoffing!

shadowboy

Visit site
I have a 2 year old Welsh D X ?? He's a good weight now (wasn't when he arrived midwinter) he did not get well looked after in the past (bad feet/worms/scurfy etc) anyway since I've had him he's been out 24/7 with one feed of 2 X handfuls of Agrobs muesli (very similar or a meadow based chaff/no molasses) a handful of nuts (for interest) and measure of NAF 5* feed balancer. Feet are better in the sense of better angle of growth but still a little soft.

My big problem is he eats his companions poo. Not just a little nibble but full on scoffs it (only when it's fresh out - literally seconds old) his coat is excellent and he's wormed. I've offered a salt lick and he's not interested. Is it just the other horse producing "sweet- smelling) 😬 Poo or is he likely to be lacking?

If I get the grass analysed would this tell me what he's lacking or do I need to do bloods if some sort? I'm moving him mid sept (as I'm pregnant so need somewhere where I can get assistance) so don't want to spend a bomb on grass analysis.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Foals eat their dam's faeces to get the gut bacteria they need.

If it's any consolation I found my eight year old having a snack on his friends poo today �� His friend get a high yeast supplement which is meant to be a very good good pro and prebiotic. I'm going to try the eight year old on it as well to see if it helps.

Roanioponio

Visit site
Caught my horse doing the same thing the other week, to make it worse I was catching her in to ride but the poo was then dripping like a soup from her mouth and then grabbed at a horsefly on her side, throwing it all over herself 😂😭 she's on a vitamin supplement and has varied grazing field. Guess she's just lacking poops from her diet!!! Needless to say I brought my other horse in instead lol!

ShadowHunter

Visit site
I found my mare doing this last week. I opened up another acre of fresh grass and she stopped doing it. I put it down to not enough food/fibre as she and her mate were on restricted grazing.