Poor Horse :(

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
You don't really think the summer pic they put up is recent do you?? Look at the limbs ....

I've never seen an emaciated horse with muscle ... :confused:

This horse is FAR too thin to be simply lack of work.

I think if you saw a pic of our TB scraggy haired in the winter, and then sleek and fat in the summer, you woudl probably think it was a different horse, I sometimes think it must be!

No, emaciated horses do not have muscle, but their condition to the naked eye is exacerbated by the fact they don't have any muscle, esp on their rumps, necks and wither/back area. The lack of muscle means that the bones on the spine can be more pronounced.

Changes

Visit site
I am fully aware what an emaciated horse looks like.

If I considered defending how that horse looks due to the condition of one of mine, I'd be having a long hard look at my horse again. :eek:

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I've always found that emaciated horses in pictures are FAR worse, and thinner than you expect, when you meet them in the flesh. Trust me on this...I've met quite a few in my time...

Tormenta

Visit site
I have a 21 year old and a 22 year old, the 22 year old is a poor doer and a fine type, she resembles nothing like what that poor guy is! :eek:

Amaranta

Visit site
A lot of his poorness imho is due to muscle loss, he looks far better in the summer pic, but you can still see the muscle loss. Add in poor weather and poor grass and you have a horse that loses weight. Its difficult to keep up with, and one or two hard weeks can have a big effect.

Sorry - he looks better in the summer because he is carrying more condition, not muscle - this horse is emaciated, my old TB is in her thirties, has lost a lot of teeth so can't eat hay, she looks a million times better than this poor chap, why do you think that is? I have compensated for the fact that she cannot eat hay or haylage and give her tub trugs full of chopped fibre, she has a rug on and comes in at night, she is by no means fat but this chap makes her look like a telly tubby. I do this because she owes me nothing having given me the best years of her life - it is a shame that the owner of this TB does not care enough to look after the poor lad properly, in fact they care so little that they are giving him away. Poor weather/grass is a shameful excuse.

It would be kinder to PTS imho but they probably don't care enough about him to do the right thing.

sjmcc

Visit site
awww poor lad he needs a firm hand ! id say he needs a good feed and a good home n take it from there :mad: poor poor soul that would be breaking my heart giveing him away its shocking

Racergirl

Visit site
Hi people - was me looking for his advert thread back along, thankyou so much to all of you who have Pm'd me with the link - Ive sent it to the girl who I think could well be interested in helping him, they love their ex-racers, and they take horses that are in need of help....

hopefully they can take him and this chap will have a happy time from now on....

Spotsrock

Visit site
My 32 year old looks half the age of this boy. If I had loads of land i'd take him but I already have 1 oldie and 1 to re start due to being messed up all at livery-can't afford any more.

LilMissy

Visit site
Hi, if he isnt rehomed by Racergirls friend then I would be happy to have him. My problem is no transport (would be able to pay towards fuel). So if someone could bring him to me then I would be able to give him some much needed tlc!

dunkley

Visit site
EMW in Herefordshire have said they are prepared to take this old boy, if he can be collected and taken there. However, it would appear there is some doubt as to whether it is, in fact, FTGH, as upon contact with the advertiser he has stated he wants £700 for the horse. I am not registered on preloved - is there anyone who is, and can try to make contact?

rhino

Visit site
EMW in Herefordshire have said they are prepared to take this old boy, if he can be collected and taken there. However, it would appear there is some doubt as to whether it is, in fact, FTGH, as upon contact with the advertiser he has stated he wants £700 for the horse. I am not registered on preloved - is there anyone who is, and can try to make contact?

Have pm'd you the number :)

Suechoccy

Visit site
Looks like rug-rubs on his neck and perhaps the purple fleece on the ground is the underrug, and the rugs been taken off for the photo. Doesn't mean he lives in that field.

Typical TB knife-edge withers and his poor condition shows especially around base of his tail, but tlc, maybe some dentistry and careful attention to his diet to build him up again and he could come round nicely as someone's pet/hack. I hope so, he was obviously once a very handsome horse.

Puppy

Visit site
These sorts of threads pull at my heart strings all the more since I lost my dear old veteran. How people can just throw away their oldies is just beyond me. I'd give anything to have my old girl back :( :(

I really hope this poor chap finds the loving home he clearly deserves.

B_2_B

Visit site

Argh :mad:
He sounds like a complete eejit, first it was £200, then free, then £700?!

Hope EMW have some luck!

dunkley

Visit site
I am told he has been rehomed, other than that I know nothing else. Hopefully he will now get some TLC and some good grub :)