Poor little shetland living all alone:(

Winters100

Visit site
I am in the UK at the moment, and yesterday went for a walk as I was out of quarantine. I came across a lovely little shetty, his conditions were good, nice field, shelter, clean water, but he is living all alone. I know the owners from 30 years ago as I grew up living on that lane, and I know their neighbors, who told me that the pony has been alone for a few years. They are not bad people, but they were never horse people, and I think that maybe they just don't realise that he needs company.

What would you all do? Be the 'busy body' and knock on their door, which I assume they would not welcome as they have not seen me for 3 decades? Leave well alone? Print something about horses needing company and send it to them via post?

I just felt sorry for the little chap:(

What do you think?

Fransurrey

Visit site
Do you know them well enough to suggest loaning a companion from a charity? I took on a shetland that was living alone for years, but at the time I had the grazing to. I definitely would not print things and put them through the door. Worst course of action in my opinion.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
If its feet are fine then they obviously have a farrier,so they already have a horse expert in their lives (they almost certainly have a vet as well!) Lots of people choose to keep a horse/pony alone. I've ended up keeping mine alone on the vet's advice (after the vet saw how stressed she was with a companion and how much calmer she is on her own). Definitely don't get involved.

Visit site
Personally I'd buy him but that's me

In reality an awful lot of people do this and there's not much you can do, except have a gentle word - this is probably your best option.

ihatework

Visit site
Honestly stay out of it, this really isn’t your battle. You would unceremoniously be told to F.O. I reckon if you interfere.

There is someone local to me that keeps an Exmoor all alone. But he is well looked after and whilst it makes me sad I couldn’t ever comprehend interfering.

Archangel

Visit site
They may have become horsey in the 30 years since you last knew them, you know how it is! or someone may have left the pony with them and cleared off. Can you walk there more frequently in the hope of bumping in to them?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I don’t think you can do much. It is sad. I family up the road from me keep their elderly pony alone. Their kids used to ride years ago when they were young. This is the last remaining pony. On one hand it’s nice they have continued to look after her and not tried to pass her on (she’s v old!) but I always feel sorry for her. When I ride past I hear a little nicker from behind the hedge. I’ve always thought if only she was a gelding id offer to look after her alongside mine alternating between my field and theirs.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Sad but keep out. Plenty of people keep horses alone. Not something I would do but if someone knocked on my door and offered me "advice" I would be telling them where to go.
Someone I know keeps an ancient pony all alone. The thing looks like a welfare case and in all honesty should be pts (as I believe the vet suggested) but they won't. Nothing I can do about it though. I've even offered to turn it out with mine for company but they know better.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I don’t think you can do much. It is sad. I family up the road from me keep their elderly pony alone. Their kids used to ride years ago when they were young. This is the last remaining pony. On one hand it’s nice they have continued to look after her and not tried to pass her on (she’s v old!) but I always feel sorry for her. When I ride past I hear a little nicker from behind the hedge. I’ve always thought if only she was a gelding id offer to look after her alongside mine alternating between my field and theirs.

Seeing a well looked after, but living alone horse/pony is one thing. I would probably tell myself that I don't know, it is possible that it doesn't like living with other horses. But to hear an elderly pony nicker behind a hedge when she hears a horse passing by her field, only reading about it squeezed at my heart, really hard.

Poor elderly mare.

Winters100

Visit site
I think you are all right - nothing I can really do.

For sure he is not a welfare case, his condition is fine, feet look good, good fencing, shelter and fresh water there. Only downside is not another horse in sight! If not for covid I would knock on the door just to say that I was passing by and wondered how they are, then try to bring the conversation gently round to ponies, but with Covid that is not possible. They are very nice people, so I am sure it is either that there is some reason, or they just don't realise how much the pony needs company.

doodle

Visit site
Yes stay out of it. After Sultan died Minto was alone. It was not ideal, I had tried all I could to get him company but one nasty person spreading lies about him made this impossible.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Not an ideal situation of course but thinking about my local area in I would say that nearly half of the ones not on a livery or other big yard are living alone.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My old boy has been in his own field for years. He is territorial and quite aggressive to others, apart from foals, which he loves. Always has horse neighbours though. Not ideal for them to be on their own, but if well cared for then there's not a lot other people should/can say.

irishdraft

Visit site
There is a horse up my lane that has been alone all the years I have lived here which is nearly 20 . I find it really sad when I ride past as he inevitably neighs but no way would I say anything.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

For sure he is not a welfare case, his condition is fine, feet look good, good fencing, shelter and fresh water there. Only downside is not another horse in sight! If not for covid I would knock on the door just to say that I was passing by and wondered how they are, then try to bring the conversation gently round to ponies, but with Covid that is not possible. They are very nice people, so I am sure it is either that there is some reason, or they just don't realise how much the pony needs company.
I've been down to one mini mare since I sadly had the other pts in early November, to cap it off shes been on box rest the last 3 weeks with a badly bruised sole.
I'm not prepared to pay ridiculous prices (think pet xbreed dog prices of £1,500 approx) for a 2nd mare at present, nor am I willing to take on the ones I've been offered so far: a yearling, a cushings 24yr old, an overheight spotty gelding, 3 that must come together, a std stallion and a laminitic.
So, she's back out with B Fuzzy (they get on ok) as of this morning, but when the grass takes off (likely any day) she will be on her own again much of the time.

If anyone knows of a 32" +/- registered mare between 3 and mid teens, let me know!

paddy555

Visit site

if you suggest it needs company what do you expect them to do? they may simply not want another pony, cannot afford one, this may be their last pony. They could get a rescue from a shelter but perhaps they don't have the time or inclination for another.
It may be a pony that is not going to accept a companion. Not all small ponies like company. They could end up with a 2nd pony that the shetland tries to kill if it doesn't like it. They are hardly going to be able to get rid of the shetland to a rescue if someone insists it needs company. So I suppose their only choice would be PTS if for some reason they don't want or it will not tolerate company.

Possibly not an ideal situation but they seem to be giving the pony excellent care.

honetpot

Visit site
The elderly lady in our village always had donkeys, after the last one died she tried the donkey sanctuary, but they only rehome in pairs, and she couldn't cope with two, she was in her late 70's, so she resorted to the local dealer. We were worried it wouldn't settle, it box walked its turnout area, would only settle if she was there, and it was literally in her back garden, we tried a pony play date, not interested. All I can say if had the most attention of any animal I have ever seen that should live outside, eventually it got brave enough to go in the paddock, for a couple of hours, I think the only time it was left was when she went to church.
When she died it went to the Donkey Sanctuary, I often wonder how it coped because it was used to being the centre of human attention, with a human at its beck and bray.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Seeing a well looked after, but living alone horse/pony is one thing. I would probably tell myself that I don't know, it is possible that it doesn't like living with other horses. But to hear an elderly pony nicker behind a hedge when she hears a horse passing by her field, only reading about it squeezed at my heart, really hard.

Poor elderly mare.
I look after her when the owners are away, she is very self sufficient and does seem happy enough, she would never seek out human contact for example. It is sad though. Mares cause fighting between my geldings sadly so I can’t suggest it

Winters100

Visit site
if you suggest it needs company what do you expect them to do? they may simply not want another pony, cannot afford one, this may be their last pony. They could get a rescue from a shelter but perhaps they don't have the time or inclination for another.
It may be a pony that is not going to accept a companion..

Well it is not really that I expect them to do something if there is some problem, more that I would hate the pony to be without company if the only obstacle is that it just had not occurred to them. They are quite a wealthy family, so I would not imagine that cost is a major factor, but of course there may be other issues that I don't know of. They are terribly nice people, I used to be friends with their son before he passed away far too young, and I would never go in ham fisted and accuse them of doing the wrong thing, it is more just an issue that they may not realise that the pony could be much happier with a pal. Unfortunately since we are not in contact the only option would be knocking their door, not OK in covid times, and also I would not like to jump right in with a discussion about ponies living alone, if things were normal I would just go for a visit and let it come into the conversation, but again not really possible now:(

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I personally don’t think it would hurt to gently mention that it seems a bit lonely. They may well give a reason or do nothing, but there’s also the slight change they might listen/care. I’ve had plenty of people over the years query why my horses have fly rugs/muzzles on in summer. I’m not offended by their concerns, I just explain why. I’m saddened that so many people on here would do nothing.