Poor pony (ad)..and when will there be a law.

Elsbells

Visit site
Poor little fella, he looks so young, his face is like a foals:(

The only plus, is that although the young fella handleing him is horse ignorant, he appears to care for the little chap and as a result, he looks as well as he can, given the circumstances.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
But there is ignorance...ignorance of the fact that it's wrong to be asking that much of a 2 year old. And they might have stables and a sulkie, but what's that old saying? 'All the gear and no idea..'.

Dutch1horse

Visit site
I think we should look at the positives here. The pony is in good condition and the people obviously care about it. Flimsy thoroughbreds are doing a lot more at 2years old so I don't think it's going to kill it....I've seen experienced people riding horses in worse condition.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think we should look at the positives here. The pony is in good condition and the people obviously care about it. Flimsy thoroughbreds are doing a lot more at 2years old so I don't think it's going to kill it....I've seen experienced people riding horses in worse condition.

This.

BigRed

Visit site
I don't agree with it, but the whole of the TB racing industry does it on a worldwide basis. The yanks all start to ride their leisure horses as 2 year olds. I have a work colleague in Houston TX, who thinks the english are very stupid to wait until a horse is 4 years old before it starts to work - she says they are far too big and strong by then...

If you look at Monty Roberts web site, he sells really expensive riding horses in the US, they have all started work as 2 year olds.

It is very much an english thing that we don't ask such young horses to start working.

Mlini

Visit site

^^This^^

I have one of the above flimsy thoroughbreds! :D:D:D

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
TBH he looks like a cute pony, and is obviously very tolerant! I think if anyone got him, turned him out and left him be he would be a lovely pony for someone in a couple of years. If it said a price I might be interested myself! :)

(unless I'm really thick and just can't see it :p )

phantomhorse

Visit site
Hes got such a baby demeanor about him though hasnt he? Some 2 year olds look more mature than they are but this ones a real baby faced chap. Agree he looks in okay condition but its a shame hes missing out on being a youngster.

phantomhorse

Visit site
TBH he looks like a cute pony, and is obviously very tolerant! I think if anyone got him, turned him out and left him be he would be a lovely pony for someone in a couple of years. If it said a price I might be interested myself! :)

(unless I'm really thick and just can't see it :p )

Hes not for sale. They are looking for someone experienced to come along to ride him regularly :eek:

Damnation

Visit site
I live near Carlisle (Infact I work 5 miles outside it)
If I could afford to buy the little mite, and provided they sold him to me!! I would have him in a heartbeat!

bex1984

Visit site

Agreed. I know of 2 cob types, including my own, who have started their ridden education pootling around as 2 year olds - both are calm, level-headed and take life in their stride.

tristar

Visit site
the english don't normally ride very young horses because they have more sense, know more about horses and their management, and as for monty roberts, well it does'nt surprise me anything that man does>

its a fallacy that horses are more difficult to break in at 4 years, breaking has nothing to do with strength its about skill and training and working with an animal that is mentally mature enough to start work.

i think it is a disgrace to ride any 2 year old and just shows the ignorance of the people who do it, their lack of knowledge, horsemanship and respect for such young horses.

a horses back does not stop growing until it is 5 years old

as for the americans thinking its strange to back a 4 year old, well quite frankly i've personally never been very impressed by their horse scene, the western riding is a joke compared to the iberian vaqueros, now they can really ride and train!!!!!!!

Dirtymare

Visit site
the english don't normally ride very young horses because they have more sense, know more about horses and their management, and as for monty roberts, well it does'nt surprise me anything that man does>

its a fallacy that horses are more difficult to break in at 4 years, breaking has nothing to do with strength its about skill and training and working with an animal that is mentally mature enough to start work.

i think it is a disgrace to ride any 2 year old and just shows the ignorance of the people who do it, their lack of knowledge, horsemanship and respect for such young horses.

a horses back does not stop growing until it is 5 years old

as for the americans thinking its strange to back a 4 year old, well quite frankly i've personally never been very impressed by their horse scene, the western riding is a joke compared to the iberian vaqueros, now they can really ride and train!!!!!!!

This ^^^^

wildwest

Visit site
god he looks well cared for and hes following another horse on the beach .......
hardly ragging the arse of him are they ,hes going to be a well adjusted family sort

Miss L Toe

Visit site
In good condition?????????????,....grr poor thing has had no life, and has no condition, and has an adult on its back, fgs!

Trinity Fox

Visit site
While he doesnt look starving he is hardly well conditioned and looks under developed to be riding or pulling a trap.

While i am a racing fan and we have point to pointers i am not a fan of runing them at two but lets face it you would never see such a physically immature tb on the track, tbs develop quicker than these types.

I dont ride or pull traps with any of my two year olds i have had very stroppy ones that i start long reining and wearing tack just to give them something to do but dont ride them.

Some well built stocky types would be ok to have someone having a pootle on but this pony is not furnished enough for that.

I also dont know why there has to be comparison scale of its not that bad could be worse etc its too young and not strong enough simple.

I was looking at one the other day on a site fully shod pulling a cart riding two years old wasnt what i would buy at all but if the price comes down again on it I am considering it just to put it in the field to give it a bit of a life before it starts work.

Its funny these youngsters alaways look so down trodden and babyish my two year old filly looks fully developed compared to it and is so much more alert and full of it, as a two year old should be.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
Poor little mite - but at least he isnt at the sales or with the meat man - perhaps some knowledgeable horsey person will be able to 'train' them.
yes he looks sad i agree and yes he would look good in my big field, but i dont my marriage would take another one!

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
While he doesnt look starving he is hardly well conditioned and looks under developed to be riding or pulling a trap.

While i am a racing fan and we have point to pointers i am not a fan of runing them at two but lets face it you would never see such a physically immature tb on the track, tbs develop quicker than these types.

I dont ride or pull traps with any of my two year olds i have had very stroppy ones that i start long reining and wearing tack just to give them something to do but dont ride them.

Some well built stocky types would be ok to have someone having a pootle on but this pony is not furnished enough for that.

I also dont know why there has to be comparison scale of its not that bad could be worse etc its too young and not strong enough simple.

I was looking at one the other day on a site fully shod pulling a cart riding two years old wasnt what i would buy at all but if the price comes down again on it I am considering it just to put it in the field to give it a bit of a life before it starts work.

Its funny these youngsters alaways look so down trodden and babyish my two year old filly looks fully developed compared to it and is so much more alert and full of it, as a two year old should be.

You've hit the nail on the head. Anyone with an inkling of horsemanship will see from the photos that this is one depressed baby, he looks utterly shut down, there's no spark about him at all. If you look at TB's racing as 2 and 3 year olds (which I also think is wrong, but that's not the point here) they are mostly well set up to do the job. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone local to the advertiser will step in and talk some sense into them...or offer to buy him.

team barney

Visit site
There is currently one advertised on Dragon Driving.... "13 months old and ready to back" :(

This one?.... http://dragondriving.co.uk/search.p...+old&area[]=0&t=all&p=0&h=0&s=P&search=Search

I hope someone with a semblance of horse sense buys him, I doubt it though he'll probably be being ragged around the roads in a few months :(

He looks on the same level of maturity as the 2 year old looking for a sharer. Far far to young to back, you gain nothing in the long run by starting a horse that is so immature, the early retirement of many american horses speaks volumes about the damage starting young causes in my opinion. No yearling should be ridden, and yes I know it happens in the racing industry but that doesn't make it right.

furball

Visit site
Im with tristar how can any one agree with riding a two year old???? My own native traditional is two now and very immature, i wouldnt dream of riding him i will wait until he is four before he is backed. From what i have seen of Americans "riding" two year olds i am not impressed theres a video on you tube of a two year old saddlebred with weights on its fetlocks being "put through its paces" lovely im sure.....................

Dutch1horse

Visit site
In good condition?????????????,....grr poor thing has had no life, and has no condition, and has an adult on its back, fgs!

This is hardly a cruelty situation, some professionals keep horses in worse conditions than this. I just don't don't see why people come on here to moan when theyr not prepared to do anything.
The man is asking for help so hopefully a knowledgeable person will offer him some wise words of advice.