poor, poor horse...

faith123

Visit site
Oh my, I was not expecting that, poor poor lad. Well done for taking him home with you he is a very lucky boy. Good luck with him, im sure he will blossom over time xx

TwoVeterans

Visit site
Just seen the photos, poor boy. How could anyone let that happen to him. So glad he has found a loving caring home. All the best for the future with him for you and your daughter.

rockysmum

Visit site
I'm disgusted reading this thread. How the hell can a forum of horse owners argue on a thread like this. The poor poor creature is in a shocking state by anyones standards.

Very well done to the OP for buying this poor boy, he is very lucky indeed. I look forward to the pics of a very beautiful horse in the future. I agree with your daughter, he is beautiful, you just have to imagine what he will look like.

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
I'm disgusted reading this thread. How the hell can a forum of horse owners argue on a thread like this. The poor poor creature is in a shocking state by anyones standards.

Very well done to the OP for buying this poor boy, he is very lucky indeed. I look forward to the pics of a very beautiful horse in the future. I agree with your daughter, he is beautiful, you just have to imagine what he will look like.

^^^^^^ this... And I'm following you on fb xxx

Spiritedly

Visit site
Poor mite :( Well done for taking him on and good luck. I've tried to find the fb page but can't find it so please keep us updated on here as well.

DragonSlayer

Visit site

Isn't it just? the ignorance on both sides is quite astounding.....

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Have you seen the pictures? If you think that is normal for a TB then I worry for your own animals....

ETA Lami is not usually caused by a horse being fat - it's caused by a horse getting too much rich grass/feed in a short period of time....or by some kind of trauma/toxemia

For your information -

'...Causes.

The cause of laminitis is unknown; the following situations are known to frequently precede an attack of laminitis. Animals in these situations can thus be regarded as at HIGH RISK from laminitis. These situations may occur singly or in combination.

1. Obesity / Overeating.

The most common type seen in GB. Many animals perform no work and are used as garden ornaments by people with limited understanding of horse management. Horse owners are encouraged to overfeed their animals by feed companies, show judges and peer pressure. Native ponies require very little to eat and are unable to cope with fertilised cattle pasture...'

Taken from http://www.laminitis.org/laminitis.html

I think you need to do a little more homework - causes might be unknown says the Wiseman, but these are major factors in the disease becoming apparent. To allow a horse to get fat, it not good, yes? By all means, continue to read the rest where YOUR statement comes in BUT THE MOST COMMON TYPE IS OBESITY/OVEREATING.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Oh the pictures brought tears to my eyes. Well done OP for taking this poor poor horse on. There is no excuse to let an animal suffer like that :( Look forward to watching his progress

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Just caught up with this thread, OP I wish you all the luck in the world with Teddy, he is a very lucky lad to have found you. The pics of him have brought tears to my eyes, I am another one who couldn't have walked away and left the poor lad in that state. Will look forward to seeing his progress.

LouiseG

Visit site
Oh my poor Teddy!!! He is such a lucky boy to have found you, I am always astounded by the cruelty and neglect some animals suffer, I guess it’s something a true animal lover can never comprehend. I too cant find the facebook page but would love to follow his progress. What an absolutely amazing thing you are doing for this poor wee man, I’m sure you will be rewarded with unconditional love and friendship from a healthy and happy horse in years to come.

Can I also just briefly add that this is only my second ever post on this forum… I am a complete newbie! I came on here looking for information/advice/support and I am utterly horrified how nearly every post I read turns into a slanging match or an argument when people are genuinely looking for support. This should purely and simply be about Teddy’s progress and to say to Showaddy1 that you are an amazing person for doing such a wonderful and selfless thing!

FionaM12

Visit site
nearly every post I read turns into a slanging match or an argument when people are genuinely looking for support. This should purely and simply be about Teddy’s progress

I came on here looking for support six months ago. I was feeling very vulnerable and low at the time.

I can honestly say I have had brilliant support here. I've been a regular poster since and other than the odd nasty post, I've found people helpful, informative and entertaining.

I'm puzzled when people say, "This thread should only be about...". Why? The threads would disappear quickly if they were dull, it's the slightly contenscious stuff which keeps them at the top of the forum!

I think Teddy's new owners have mostly had nothing but support and admiration here, and rightly so. If the odd disagreement of opinion (like yours and mine!) happens along the way, that doesn't IMO detract from the main subject.

I've started threads myself which have been taken completely off topic by others. That's fine, I didn't "own" those threads, I just started them :rolleyes: and was pleased they carried on into an interesting discussion.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I've started threads myself which have been taken completely off topic by others. That's fine, I didn't "own" those threads, I just started them :rolleyes: and was pleased they carried on into an interesting discussion.

This is true. If we all believed the same then the forum would be a very dull place indeed. And persuasive argument and crticism by others is no bad thing - it opens all our eyes to both sides and different angles that we may otherwise have never considered. This forum is full of members from the world over, so different cultures and customs come into play also.

People need to remember to not take things too personally, as often I don't think they are meant to be personally directed, but the power of the written word....:(

Adeer

Visit site
All I can say is "well done" for rescuing Teddy. He really is in a shocking state. I hope that he soon makes progress and you get to spend many happy years together.
I did laugh at the bit about your bank statement!

migmogmash

Visit site
Nothing much to add other than I wish you all the best with him OP, he has a very kind eye despite his shocking condition. Well done you for taking him on and giving him a chance.

My TBx is what would have been called a poor doer, at times in the past she has lost some condition over winter- with trial and error over feeds/haylage etc we've now got the balance right and she holds her weight well (unfortunately lacking muscle now due to being on box rest for the past couple of months) However she has certainly never looked as bad as poor Teddy...there is no excuse for his state whatsoever.

Marydoll

Visit site
Just saw this thread and seen the pics, this horse is not thin he's emaciated, im glad your working with your vet to bring him back to weight and good health as his condition may have further reaching health issues so he's better monitored closely by the vet initially.
Im glad youve got him out of there before saying anything or you might not have gotten him Otherwise.
Well done op for having the courage to take him on, i hope he turns into a lovely horse for you.
Also
There seems to be alot if misplaced anger, agression and downright nastiness by some posters on this thread which wasnt necessary all this does is trivialise an otherwise good thread

welsh horse rider

Visit site

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Just hd a look at your pics. What a shame, that poor boy :( Well done, you have done a lovely thing and I hope he makes a great turnaround for you and your daughter. I dont know know why some people on here have to get nasty and leave silly comments directed at you when your OP was clearly written with the best intentions. I hope they feel as silly as they are now after seeing the photos! best of luck, I'd love to see an update on him in the future! :D:D

Last edited:

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
if that snobby remark was aimed at me ,i didn't say a tb should look thin at this time of year ,i pointed out that it wouldn't be that unusual for a tb to be poorer at this time of year

and i am not an inexperienced ,wannabe ,ignorant horse owner and have actually owned TB's in the past

it is however you who is coming across as a stuck up ,know it all weather you are right or wrong, 16yr old school child ,either that or a troll

OP trying to keep on topic
you have certainly done the right thing for that horse and i wish you well with him :)

Sorry, I dont find this post snobby at all?

showaddy1

Visit site
Hi all, Thank you so much for your kind words... I have temporarily shut the page until the authorities have finished their investigation. Maybe I was jumping the gun a lil... ~I promise faithfully to re open once all the legal stuff is over. I am having lots of negativity from the previous owner, who, as I have previously said must be completely blind to the state he was in ('he only needed worming').
Anyway, Teddy is doing marvellous... he has today been moved up with my mare and he seems to be loving the company. I am sure he has put on a lil weight too!! He's stopped scouring, must be his tummy getting used to having food, and has yet another visit from vet on Monday for teeth and bloods.
I dont think he's going to be a beauty but so far he is kind quiet, with perfect manners.

FionaM12

Visit site
Hi all, Thank you so much for your kind words... I have temporarily shut the page until the authorities have finished their investigation. Maybe I was jumping the gun a lil... ~I promise faithfully to re open once all the legal stuff is over. I am having lots of negativity from the previous owner, who, as I have previously said must be completely blind to the state he was in ('he only needed worming').
Anyway, Teddy is doing marvellous... he has today been moved up with my mare and he seems to be loving the company. I am sure he has put on a lil weight too!! He's stopped scouring, must be his tummy getting used to having food, and has yet another visit from vet on Monday for teeth and bloods.
I dont think he's going to be a beauty but so far he is kind quiet, with perfect manners.

Well done to you and your family. Very sensible re Fb page, I did wonder if it was something like that.

And I disagree, I think there's a real beauty under that skinny frame. I'm with your daughter on that, just you wait and see! :D

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Can't wait for the updates. Wonderful.