Poor Whippet has a sunburnt nose....

Spyda

Visit site
but she keeps licking the sunblock off.

5a3b81ca.jpg

I've applied aloe vera gel to sooth it but does anyone have a clue how I can protect her nose from further sunburn when she's out? She's also prone to sunburn down the backs of her hind legs where her fur is very thin but she doesn't lick the sunblock off from back there so it's okay. It's just her muzzle she refuses to keep covered. She looks suitably disgusted at the flavour but it doesn't deter her.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Poor little girl that looks seriously sore, if she licks the sunblock off you can only keep her out of the sun.

I would be ringing my vet though asking what I could put on her sore nose.

Spyda

Visit site
Yes, she's now looking quite miserable about it. Poor thing. I had asked the vet about it last week and she suggested keeping Myrtle out of the sun as much as possible, applying the sun block when she's out and to apply the soothing gel if it looks sore.

Shadey walks from now on.

mollyblob

Visit site
Probably best to check it's ok for dogs, but I've used brilliant sunblock which is really really waterproof. It's a clear liquid from a spray-pump bottle. Several major brands do similar, I think we used Nivea sun, eg http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268130546. Once it's applied it disappears (not greasy and sweaty like creams), so maybe she'd forget about it if you put it on 15 mins before you go out?

I burn as soon as look at the sun and used it when I was cycling in the height of summer- lots of sweating and scratching of itchy bites, but I never burned, even being in direct sun for hours, so it has good sticking power!

Poor girl, she looks really sore!

Elle123

www.ellaporterphotography.co.uk
Maybe you could do as above and then distract her with a
frozen long or something as it absorbs then go straight out the door so she doesn't have time to think about it. I would be putting some aloe gel on the actually sore bit as well. Bless her if looks really painful :(

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Aww, bless - hard area to keep covered!

I always tell people when the come in for their dog's annual scalping that they should be very careful about keeping dog out of sun til some of the hair comes back. Sunburn on dogs is a pretty serious thing (not so bad on the nose, but much worse on their bodies which don't ofen get exposure). I see it all the time on westie ear tips which get shaved really short. There's a product out which is a UV protection for dogs (think Davis makes it) but if she keeps licking it off....hmmm....get her a mask?