Poorly dogs (not mine)

emmab13

Visit site
The two yard dogs have not been well, one came form a rescue a fortnight ago and didn't look in the best of condition, then a few days later began coughing and retching and being sick, at one point in the two hours I was there it was sick 8 times.

That one appears to be on the mend, but now the other one has started, and is a little bit more poorly than the first, very lethargic and miserable. YO only pops her head out for ten minutes a day, so reckons she's never heard them, and they are actually fine, and I'm slightly mad for suggesting they need a vet.

WWYD?

emmab13

Visit site
They're both about 18 months old, live outside, no kennel or bed, just sleep wherever, so when its damp and miserable I feel so sorry for them!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
might be worth a call to the rescue to see if there has been sickness in the kennels and ask for their advice.... seems a little unfair that they dont even have a stable of some shelter, what will happen in the winter?

Wildforestpony18

Visit site
They're both about 18 months old, live outside, no kennel or bed, just sleep wherever, so when its damp and miserable I feel so sorry for them!

:( I would nicely suggest contacting the rescue also and suggest kindly as possible a form of shelter, I don't know the person so i dont know what they are like.

Mister Ted

Visit site
Would say they need to see a vet quickly.Could there be traces of rat poison about,or something they have scavenged about the yard to make them ill? Would say they definately need attention.

Havannah

Visit site
Assuming that you don't want tackle the YO in person again, I think your best course of action will be to contact the RSPCA. You can do so anonymously and simply say that you are concerned about the health of the dogs and the conditions in which they are being kept. (Or you could ask someone else to make the call on your behalf).

I'm fairly confident that there is a legal requirement for an owner to provide suitable shelter/sleeping area for a dog even if it's an outdoor guard/yard dog. If the RSPCA make a visit they will advise as to what facilities the YO needs to put in place and if necessary force the YO to take the dogs to the vets. And, they will follow up to ensure that their advice is being followed.

Hope things improve for the dogs soon.

Venevidivici

Visit site
They could have lungworm (often causes coughing) or leptospirosis from drinking infected water,both of which need treating by vet. Poor things- I'd be wanting to re-rescue them from YO!

Godknows

Visit site
The two yard dogs have not been well, one came form a rescue a fortnight ago and didn't look in the best of condition, then a few days later began coughing and retching and being sick, at one point in the two hours I was there it was sick 8 times.

That one appears to be on the mend, but now the other one has started, and is a little bit more poorly than the first, very lethargic and miserable. YO only pops her head out for ten minutes a day, so reckons she's never heard them, and they are actually fine, and I'm slightly mad for suggesting they need a vet.

WWYD?

I would contact the rescue centre they came from or ring the RSPCA anonymously if need be.