Port royal pants

andytiger

Visit site
Hi just thought I would share the experience I had today at port royal showcross I had been looking forward to this competition for months I pre entered and this morning got up at 5 am to drive the 70 odd mile from Lincoln to port royal

arrived at the showground nice and early and I was the second person there there was my trailer and a horsebox we were directed by the man on the gate to park in a pool of standing water I asked the man if we could possibly park somewhere else as we didn't want to have to wade though water to get out of the car didn't really want my horse standing in a pool of water all day

The man said sorry nothing he could do as it was going to be busy and the car parking space was tight we were still the only 2 on the car park so I said is there any manager I can see as we don't want to park here

So off I trot to see the manager I explained my situation and she was really rude she said to me don't come in here ranting and raving ask anyone that knows me I don't think I'm capable of ranting and raving her reply was car parking space was tight as it was going to be busy and someone will have to park in the standing water couldn't believe the way she spoke to me at the end of the day I'm a paying customer and she was really rude

They let me move to the other end of the car park which was fair enough I said Thank you and though I would be able to get on and start enjoying my day we unloaded my horse and was promptly told told you carnt tie you horse to the side of the trailer it will take up to much space the car park is still empty at this point so I asked were was I meant to tie him he won't stand on the trailer he was expecting me to tie him to the ramp at this point I thought I'd had enough my day was ruined we just went home even when I went to withdraw she didn't even apologies she just said ok and gave me a huff

Sorry for the long winded rant but had to get it off my chest riding is my hobby and i live for the weekends so i can go out competing and the 40 quid that it cost to enter is like a days wages for me it just annoys me that people can just be so horrible and un accommodating you don't expect to have to end the day in tears

Sorry for the bad punctuation and spelling I'm crap at both lol xxxxx

Bestdogdash

Visit site
Poor you ! I detest these 'jobsworths'. It would have ruined my day too. I understand that often these guys are volunteers, and so bite my lip, but PR is supposed to be a professionally run outfit. They have lost a good customer (presumably) in treating you this way - a splendid way to go bust.

Cazzah

Visit site
Really sorry you had a bad day :(

Parking at PR is pretty cramped tbh. Last time I ventured there on a Sunday they were running SJ in one ring and dressage in another. We couldn't even get parked so aborted mission and returned home. I can understand why they were asking people to park close as the car park really isn't big enough for when they have the manic sunday events but there are ways of asking people ;)

I thought about entering today but the past experience put me off and I know how busy SX gets there. The mid week shows and BS on a Thursday are nice and quiet and definitely worth a run (warm up also a bit more civilised too lol).

Gamebird

Visit site
I find this very surprising. PR is a fantastic venue and Michael and Michelle run it very efficiently and professionally. The parking is horrifically tight on busy days (and today was their £2000 prize money day which they've advertised for months). Often they have to park on the field too but that can't have been an option given the wet weather. Someone has to park in a puddle, that's life. If you feel bad about it look at the pictures from the lorry park at Oasby this weekend. Hundreds of people parked in 4" of mud and everyone managed to be cheerful about it.

I'm sorry you felt that your day was being ruined and there's no excuse for rudeness but I find it odd that you chose to go home without competing as a result. I'm afraid my attitude would have been to try to win my entries and diesel back to make the day worthwhile and feel like I'd got something back from them.

I would contact them directly and express your concerns, they're very reasonable people and would prefer to hear complaints from the horse's mouth I'm sure.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Hmm, have to agree with gamebird I'm afraid this is a BS and dressage venue, these typically are not known for their large amounts of parking, you rarely see a horse tied up outside at BS ime. Someone has to park in a puddle, why shouldnt it be you? :confused:

Sad that you went home, I've really enjoyed romping round their show cross in previous years.

tinap

Visit site
This has really surprised me! Port Royal is one of out favorite places & I've always found Michael & Michelle to be extremely helpful & polite!

Why did you choose to go home though? I know this was one of their busiest shows today so it was always going to be a squeeze In the car park xx

andytiger

Visit site
I didn't mind the fact that it was gonna be a squeeze don't mind some one parking close its the way I was spoken to very un professional don't usually make a fuss about things ..didn't really feel like spending another minute there won't be going back x

Smith123

Visit site
It does seem you caused a big issue about nothing, someone had to park in the puddle! At least you didn't have to get towed on and off!!

My attitude would have been to forget about the set back, get horse ready, have a nice round, try and win money back then go home. Can't believe you drove all that way then went straight back, seems a bit strange to me. Port royal and micheal / Michelle have a good reputation...

Maybe they were a little stressed(big day for them) and you blew it all out of proportion?! We have all done it before!!

JellyBeanSkittle

Visit site
Stencilface - would you have enjoyed parking in a puddle????

Op I'm sorry to hear you had that experience. Nothing worse than disapointment. :(

SpottedCat

Visit site

Op I'm sorry to hear you had that experience. Nothing worse than disapointment. :(

No-one likes parking in a puddle, but it's horse sports we're talking about not ballroom dancing! Someone was going to have to park in it - why did the OP think they were more important than the person who ended up parking there? That's what it boils down to! I can't remember ever having room to tie outside at most BS or BD venues, and if your horse won't stand on the trailer/lorry then how are you proposing to walk the course/go to the loo - it's just not safe to leave them tied to the outside unattended.

Bantry

Visit site
Someone was going to have to park in it - why did the OP think they were more important than the person who ended up parking there?

First up, best dressed? Bit harsh directing someone to park in standing water if there were dry areas available.

if your horse won't stand on the trailer/lorry then how are you proposing to walk the course/go to the loo - it's just not safe to leave them tied to the outside unattended.

Totally agree, no matter how quiet or bombproof they are its just not safe to leave them tied up outside unattended

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site

No, but I have a horse, they get muddy and wet - have you seen the pics of the box park from Oasby this weekend on other posts? I've competed and stayed away at events where my horses stable was not much more than a puddle with straw on top, its not ideal no - but show organisers have no control over the weather :confused:

Plus, and sorry OP - we have no idea how you spoke to the organisers demanding to be moved, their reaction to your request could have been justified depending on how you asked?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
To be fair if you are the 2nd person there you would ask not to park in the puddle. I appreciate space WILL be tight but I am sure a reasonable solution could have been found when you are the 2nd person there. If you don't ask you don't get.

I have to take my horse out to saddle up. I can get everything on except the saddle so horse has to be tied up outside to be finished off. I would have explained this detail and horse would wait on the trailer in between.

Would I have gone home probably not but I can understand the Op being frustrated.

charlimouse

Visit site
I am another one surprised by this, and personally agree with Gamebird and Stencilface. Michael and Michelle work incredibly hard, week in week out in all weathers. The parking is limited, especially if the grass field was too wet. Knowing this they chose to have somebody on the gate to direct you to a parking spot to ensure they could fit as many lorries and trailers in as possible. If only all venues were this good at organising the parking on very busy show days! In my experience Micheal and Michelle have always been very polite, hence Port Royal is one of my favourite venues (the yummy cafe also helps!).

tinap

Visit site
I think those that know port royal, will know how tight the parking can get. They have to start organising the parking from the start because once it gets busy it is virtually impossible to get out from the arena gate end if you drive down there looking for a space!

Also i find it much easier to tie up to the ramp if said horse will not stand on the box, it saves them being tied up bum to bum.

Sorry op but it does sound like you maybe went in with a bit of an attitude over something trivial at the beginning of what would have been a busy day. Apologies if that isn't the case, its just how it comes across in your op xx

andytiger

Visit site
UOTE=SpottedCat;11610821]No-one likes parking in a puddle, but it's horse sports we're talking about not ballroom dancing! Someone was going to have to park in it - why did the OP think they were more important than the person who ended up parking there? That's what it boils down to! I can't remember ever having room to tie outside at most BS or BD venues, and if your horse won't stand on the trailer/lorry then how are you proposing to walk the course/go to the loo - it's just not safe to leave them tied to the outside unattended.[/QUOTE]

andytiger

Visit site
UOTE=SpottedCat;11610821]No-one likes parking in a puddle, but it's horse sports we're talking about not ballroom dancing! Someone was going to have to park in it - why did the OP think they were more important than the person who ended up parking there? That's what it boils down to! I can't remember ever having room to tie outside at most BS or BD venues, and if your horse won't stand on the trailer/lorry then how are you proposing to walk the course/go to the loo - it's just not safe to leave them tied to the outside unattended.
[/QUOTE]

Would never leave my horse unattended my other half always comes along to look after him

I have been to most BD venues in the East Midlands never had a problem never been treated or spoken to like that before

andytiger

Visit site
Plus, and sorry OP - we have no idea how you spoke to the organisers demanding to be moved, their reaction to your request could have been justified depending on how you asked?[/QUOTE]

I only went in there and asked is it possible to move and got a right mouthful I'm uncapable of ranting and raving as anyone who knows me will tell you and I did say please

Sare

Visit site
Just an observation re the way the manager responded to you. You had already spoken to the car parking steward and not accepted what they had to say, causing you to ask to speak to a manager. I'm almost certain they will have radios....

So before you arrived at the manager they were likely already aware that an unhappy complainant was heading in, IMO this may explain the firm response regardless of how polite you were to them.

TelH

Visit site
I don't go to Port Royal that often cos I do showing and they don't have much of it :( (Note to Port Royal if you are reading, more showing please :D ) The times I have been, yes the parking is not the most spacious you will find but the organisers have always been polite, friendly and helpful :)

skye_and_i

Visit site
As somebody who regulary parks lorries at events you hear every excuse under the sun as to why they can't park where directed. As said before by others somebody had to park there, letting you park somewhere else upsets the line of parking and others that arrive will see you and make a bee line to park next to you and not where directed (happens regulary). I had one at oasby, he had a go about being expected to park his £250,000 box on a muddy field, I explained to him that most events park in fields and what did he expect??? I did offer to have him towed out so he could go straight home! Oh and he had to wait awhile to be towed off after being arsey! It doesn't pay to piss off the guys in the tractors/parking you ;o)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I might have been miffed at the puddle but I don't understand the issue with tying the horse to the ramp/back of the trailer? In fact that is what most people seem to do. We have strings all round but always aim for the back as mine won't stand on the trailer and when you've got two on you can't tack up inside anyway.

wench

Visit site
As somebody who regulary parks lorries at events you hear every excuse under the sun as to why they can't park where directed. As said before by others somebody had to park there, letting you park somewhere else upsets the line of parking and others that arrive will see you and make a bee line to park next to you and not where directed (happens regulary). I had one at oasby, he had a go about being expected to park his £250,000 box on a muddy field, I explained to him that most events park in fields and what did he expect??? I did offer to have him towed out so he could go straight home! Oh and he had to wait awhile to be towed off after being arsey! It doesn't pay to piss off the guys in the tractors/parking you ;o)

There's always someone that thinks they are exempt from the rules. Like the lady at Draycott BE a couple of years ago that thought she was entitled to take her dog into the results marquee when it blatently said outside NO DOGS!

andytiger

Visit site

The car park was empty when we got there wasn't asking to park in the middle of the car park just the other side of the only other lorry that was there don't see why the attendant wouldn't let us ,
Still no excuse for rudeness or the way I was spoken to