portable paddock/corral?

jennywren07

Visit site
Looking for ideas for a movable corral type thing for a fat pony. Something like this but maybe without the price tag 🙈 https://horseshowjumps.co.uk/…/--corral-pen-system-paddock-…

Ideally something I can move on my own but with two people would be fine. He's currently climbing through 4 lines of mains powered electric fence because it's worth the shock 🙄 we've tried double fencing and regardless of the gap he just shoves through. He's got plenty of hay/tried with a friend but he'd still rather be out where the grass is. Short of stabling him 24/7 i'm currently stumped. plastic orange builders fencing round the edge of the electric fence worked for a while last year but then he started trying to jump out and i really don't want him to hurt himself.

Considering haras fencing but how to make that sturdy enough he can't just shove through whilst still being able to move it?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I can't see whats on the link unfortunately. I use alpaca hurdles for a temporary arena but only when I am to hand -they dont do for rubbers or leaners (I've horses I am happy to piut in there and those I wouldnt ever put in there) so I make sure there's enough grass to keep whoever is in there entertained. cattle gates are sturdy enough but not overly portable and I'd probably want the bottom bit filled in with ply or wire small enough to not get a hoof in.

heras panels using posts or heras feet I've also seen used but not sure a determined pony wouldnt just knock it down and risk injury but it might be high enough to convince him he couldnt get out. I expect you've tried a muzzle?

cauda equina

Visit site
I've got alpaca hurdles too, 8 foot ones from RK Agricultural; they slot together top and bottom but I added string for good measure
They were fine for my pony who will climb though any number of strands of tape, but is not at all bargey

jennywren07

Visit site
Muzzle tried and he can still eat a ridiculous amount through it when he's not taking it off 🙄

I swear smart arse pony will be the end of me! I'll have a look at the alpaca hurdles. Maybe they'd work around the outside of an electric fence?

Abacus

Visit site
This is probably not as portable as you'd like but I'm using it for my goats, who are total escape artists. You do have to bang the posts in but they aren't too hard to pull out again and re-position. This will make a smallish square, I have 3x25m lengths of the stuff but that was to make a permanent paddock for the goats.

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/e/8718475520207/vidaxl-euro-fence-set-25x12-m-steel-green

AnShanDan

Visit site
I've used heras fencing in the past. It can work, the feet are pretty heavy and when the panels are firmly attached to each other, the whole thing is self supporting. I used elastic bungees to secure the panels, so there was a bit of give. The def. cannot jump out. If need be you could put in a wooden post at each corner too.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
This is probably not as portable as you'd like but I'm using it for my goats, who are total escape artists. You do have to bang the posts in but they aren't too hard to pull out again and re-position. This will make a smallish square, I have 3x25m lengths of the stuff but that was to make a permanent paddock for the goats.

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/e/8718475520207/vidaxl-euro-fence-set-25x12-m-steel-green

thanks for posting this, am liking the look of it for my ducks!

jennywren07

Visit site
been speaking to my OH and he thinks heras fencing is the way to go so think we'll try that. will mean it can only be moved when he's about but fairly minor inconvenience. Is there any that work particularly well or is it much of a muchness?

meleeka

Visit site
been speaking to my OH and he thinks heras fencing is the way to go so think we'll try that. will mean it can only be moved when he's about but fairly minor inconvenience. Is there any that work particularly well or is it much of a muchness?
I think it’s pretty standard. Concrete feet and clips make it sturdy so it can’t be pushed over. If he tries you could always use a strand of electric inside too.