Portuguese Water Dog high energy? Any other similar suggestions?

Micori

Visit site
Hello,

Looking for anyone with experience with this breed. I am aware (from lots of research) that this breed is high energy. But just how high?! They tick all the boxes for me and I’m looking for a breed that will join in with family walks, runs, bike rides etc but I was wanting a dog that will also chill at home with us. I have a feeling they don’t ever really relax and are non stop. Is there any truth to this? I guess I’d like the coat of a poodle with the temperament of a relaxed golden retriever (or chilled out Labrador!)

I’m basically looking for a low/non shedding dog (because I have two very fluffy cats and that’s plenty of fur for me!), a dog who will enjoy outside life (we live in the countryside), good to train, medium size, low prey drive, a family dog (we have two children), can be left for periods whilst doing the school run/after school clubs. I’ve considered a Poodle but have read that they can suffer from anxiety... Tibetan Terriers seem like they can be hard work... Not sold on the poodle mixes as it just doesn’t seem right to mix a dog and charge the earth for it (plus you never really know what you are getting). Any other suggestions would be gratefully received as I feel like I have hit a wall and have been researching for about 3 years! Thanks.

Visit site
My sister has a PWD about to turn a year old, she is high energy but if you manage her correctly then no problem, she is walked as much as her age is allowed and has her food in the puzzles, she’s also been with a trainer with my sister and knows all sorts of good things and stuff to keep her mind busy. She lives with 3 kids age 13, 11 and 9. A PWD would be to full on for young kids but she is perfect with these 3. I have 2 small dogs a shih tzu and a mini schnauzer that she mixes well with.

Micori

Visit site
I would say a standard poodle from a reputable breeder would be a good choice given your lifestyle. My sister worked with a breeder of PWDs (among other breeds) many years ago so I could ask her but as it was so long ago it may not be relevant to the modern type.

oh my goodness that would be really helpful. Thank you. I have wondered about poodles too but is there truth to the fact they are a bit anxious? You read so much and don’t know what’s true or not! I don’t know of any non shedding coated breeds in my village. And don’t seem to bump into any being walked either.

Micori

Visit site
My OH has experience of both Chesapeake retrievers and the Nova Scotia Duck Tollers. He says they tick all your boxes, being low prey drive dogs with low shedding coats. The ones he had dealings with were delightful dogs with lovely temperaments.

oh wow this is great news thank you. I haven’t researched either of those before. Just looking for low prey drives because I live in a rural village with lots of fields full of wildlife and cattle and I’d like to be able to have a dog I could let off the lead and trust it won’t hurt anything.

Micori

Visit site
My sister has a PWD about to turn a year old, she is high energy but if you manage her correctly then no problem, she is walked as much as her age is allowed and has her food in the puzzles, she’s also been with a trainer with my sister and knows all sorts of good things and stuff to keep her mind busy. She lives with 3 kids age 13, 11 and 9. A PWD would be to full on for young kids but she is perfect with these 3. I have 2 small dogs a shih tzu and a mini schnauzer that she mixes well with.

this is good to hear. Thanks. My girls are 7 and 5. So they’re not too diddy and are already great with dogs as we regularly walk our neighbours golden retriever. I wonder if it depends on how (like you say) you keep them busy so that then they are content to relax a bit. And maybe a bit down to personality too.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I have a very high energy springer. He will relax at home once his walk is done, but occasionally needs more play in the evening. I think you can’t stereotype a breed, my two previous springers were calm and not demanding. There are hot lines and not so hot lines. If you can find a breeder, I say go for the PWD!

Micori

Visit site
I have a very high energy springer. He will relax at home once his walk is done, but occasionally needs more play in the evening. I think you can’t stereotype a breed, my two previous springers were calm and not demanding. There are hot lines and not so hot lines. If you can find a breeder, I say go for the PWD!

Yes I am starting to think I am overthinking this and should just go for it!

Karran

Visit site
My WCS is the perfect mix of the both - she's always up for adventure, and being busy but at the same time, once she knows that we're done for the day she is happy to cuddle on the sofa and watch TV.
The collie is pretty similar tbf just needs that little bit more work than the spaniel and is also happy to get on my lap for a nap.

Moobli

Visit site
Have a look at Barbets. They are quite new to the UK but I have a friend with them (she has just sold a litter but may breed again in future) and I think they’d tick your boxes.

Micori

Visit site
Have a look at Barbets. They are quite new to the UK but I have a friend with them (she has just sold a litter but may breed again in future) and I think they’d tick your boxes.

Thank you. I have read about Barbets before but dismissed them as they seem so rare here. Does your friend have an email address at all? That way if I research more and would like some further info then I know where to find someone knowledgeable!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
What about a curly coated retriever or possibly an Irish water spaniel.
Oh good gods not an IWS!! They are nuttier than a nutty thing: neurotic, crazy, not good with strangers and prone to genetic diseases. We've had two, loved them dearly, but Never Again.

How about a whippet? Loving, funny, lazy and no hair to speak of, opening up the world of attractive whippet coats in an array of fashionable colours?

Bellasophia

Visit site
In the last twenty years I’ve had three st poodles..all so completely different in temperament they could have been different breeds..
Uk dog was v v high prey drive..epileptic,but managed...otherwise healthy.
German dog was born serious,ideal for work,but had auto immune issues all her
life...I spent thousands on her vet bills over the years..actually ,she was my heart dog,so faithful and intelligent.
Number three..Swedish/ USA lines..beautiful show boy.Good temperament and stellar health.Medium energy level,but not for long distance running.
In a country setting you would have to keep dogs in close shave down to cut down the intensive grooming they need.If they get wet mine need hair drying and brush outs,or you will get undermatting and felting of the coat.
For your needs ,I personally would take a shedding breed and consider a dog bred for purpose...eg Dalmatian or pointer would run for miles,good with family and be in their element with your plans.

Micori

Visit site
Oh good gods not an IWS!! They are nuttier than a nutty thing: neurotic, crazy, not good with strangers and prone to genetic diseases. We've had two, loved them dearly, but Never Again.

How about a whippet? Loving, funny, lazy and no hair to speak of, opening up the world of attractive whippet coats in an array of fashionable colours?
I did consider a whippet (I have a friend with one but he has got lost before and likes to run after anything) and living in a very rural village with lots of cattle and wildlife around; I would get a bit worried about recall and their tendency to love to run off.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
When I was looking to get a dog two years ago I had your same criteria. I even looked at the Portuguese Water Dog. Ultimately, I decided on a Lab, and she fits right in.

I had Labs growing up so I was somewhat comfortable with the breed.

The shedding is a nuisance, especially when they are having a blowout. With brushing and bathing she's not so bad, but I do have a robot vacuum on each floor of the house.

Micori

Visit site
In the last twenty years I’ve had three st poodles..all so completely different in temperament they could have been different breeds..
Uk dog was v v high prey drive..epileptic,but managed...otherwise healthy.
German dog was born serious,ideal for work,but had auto immune issues all her
life...I spent thousands on her vet bills over the years..actually ,she was my heart dog,so faithful and intelligent.
Number three..Swedish/ USA lines..beautiful show boy.Good temperament and stellar health.Medium energy level,but not for long distance running.
In a country setting you would have to keep dogs in close shave down to cut down the intensive grooming they need.If they get wet mine need hair drying and brush outs,or you will get undermatting and felting of the coat.
For your needs ,I personally would take a shedding breed and consider a dog bred for purpose...eg Dalmatian or pointer would run for miles,good with family and be in their element with your plans.
There seem to be so many mixed opinions on Poodles. I joined the Facebook poodle group and it was split down the middle on their opinion on temperament; some said they were needy, clingy and anxious and others said it was purely down to training and that they had brilliant, loving family dogs. It’s so confusing!

Micori

Visit site
When I was looking to get a dog two years ago I had your same criteria. I even looked at the Portuguese Water Dog. Ultimately, I decided on a Lab, and she fits right in.

The shedding is a nuisance, especially when they are having a blowout. With brushing and bathing she's not so bad, but I do have a robot vacuum on each floor of the house.

It’s really tricky. You just want to make the right decision all round don’t you. I love labs but I just don’t want any more fur in my food/up my nose/on my toothbrush. Haha!

Bellasophia

Visit site
If you are in uk I will tell you via pm where I bought my st poodle..beautiful,beautifulgirl..show pick,but a really phobic dog..thunderstorms,loud bangs etc would trigger her ocd and I also heard from her litter siblings of similar behavior and issues.

Also remember st poodles have high grooming needs..you will spend as much on your grooming equipment as the cost,of your well bred puppy....

OR buy a dyson Hoover and get the dally LOL. I adore them.

5FBED4F9-E4C5-46B8-AEBF-A25149501365.jpeg

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yeah, my dads Poodle was really phobic too.

For me the Lab was easier to find and something I was familiar with. I also know that Labs can be active but low-key. The PWD seemed a bit more energetic/potentially less flexible. I also wasn't sure about the grooming I'd have to do with all of that hair, but I suppose that's not a huge deal.

I also hadn't had a Lab in years and I clearly forgot about the shedding ? it'd manageable, but I understand your hesitation.

Micori

Visit site
If you are in uk I will tell you via pm where I bought my st poodle..beautiful,beautifulgirl..show pick,but a really phobic dog..thunderstorms,loud bangs etc would trigger her ocd and I also heard from her litter siblings of similar behavior and issues.

Also remember st poodles have high grooming needs..you will spend as much on your grooming equipment as the cost,of your well bred puppy....

OR buy a dyson Hoover and get the dally LOL. I adore them.

View attachment 66429

She sounds lovely. Although I was hoping to get a dog with confidence and quite well rounded; no anxiety etc.
I do have a dyson and a miele cat and dog already...the joys of ragdoll cats!

Bellasophia

Visit site
The German lines ,Russian lines,etc are very good dogs,but less refined than the more closed pedigrees of the uk dogs
My last two were not high drive,nor phobic.

They are wonderful dogs but really high maintenance ( re grooming).

Check out Jane rowden at itzapromise uk.....she has my dog’s litter brother.( Cash)..her dogs walk miles daily,have great recall even in a pack..wonderful breeder.

Micori

Visit site
The German lines ,Russian lines,etc are very good dogs,but less refined than the more closed pedigrees of the uk dogs
My last two were not high drive,nor phobic.

They are wonderful dogs but really high maintenance ( re grooming).

Check out Jane rowden at itzapromise uk.....she has my dog’s litter brother.( Cash)..her dogs walk miles daily,have great recall even in a pack..wonderful breeder.
I didn’t realise there were different lines...so I’ll look into that. Thanks so much, I’ll look her up ?