Portuguese Water Dog high energy? Any other similar suggestions?

millikins

Visit site
oh my goodness that would be really helpful. Thank you. I have wondered about poodles too but is there truth to the fact they are a bit anxious? You read so much and don’t know what’s true or not! I don’t know of any non shedding coated breeds in my village. And don’t seem to bump into any being walked either.

My standard poodle was not a particularly anxious dog in general but he did suffer separation anxiety all his life and looking on poodle rescue I think a lot do though by no means all. My neighbours inherited a toy poodle after an unexpected bereavement, he is an absolute delight and doesn't seem bothered at all about being left.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
I second the Nova Scotia duck tolling retrievers - we have one as a family pet. Very cheerful, clever, easy going dogs. They’re fluffy but it’s the undercoat that sheds so it mostly stays on them until you brush them. Other dog is double coated but with a much shorter coat and sheds everywhere...

Micori

Visit site
Has anyone got any experience with Tibetan Terriers?

I really would love a PWD but I have big reservations about the high energy and them being such mouthy and destructive puppies. Sometimes I think I’m overthinking it but I’ve read so much that I can’t ignore! Then I think well any puppy has the potential to be destructive. But the PWDs seem to be on a other level! I do love them though! ?‍♀️

I’m looking into Barbets as they seem to literally tick every box. But they look like they could have a tendency to have hip dysplacia. I went through that with with German shepherd and it’s heartbreaking.

I think I’ve ruled out poodles now.

So any thoughts on TTs other than they can be barky? Are they good family dogs?

Moobli

Visit site
Thank you. I have read about Barbets before but dismissed them as they seem so rare here. Does your friend have an email address at all? That way if I research more and would like some further info then I know where to find someone knowledgeable!

Are you on FB? Look up Muddiwarx Barbets. Julie is really approachable and will be happy to fill you in on the breed.

SOS

Visit site
The only PWD I have met in practice have been either completely neurotic or only just controlled high energy and that’s with very experienced owners. I think they haven’t quite been bred for pet lines yet and need a few generations of calming!

Poodles I find incredibly strong willed and stubborn, and can be anxious. The strong willed/stubborn can work well if they have a job and are well trained but even so I think some are just incredibly difficult whilst being very intelligent!

Im another who would vote for whippet. Slightly biased as I have one... who also lives with a Ragdoll FYI. We never struggle with the whippet/lurcher with livestock and would put any dog on a lead around sheep anyway. Ours are trained recall, my girl comes to a dog whistle, which I have trained since the day I got her. Small fluffy running things do get their attention but nothing that isn’t controlled as they are recall trained and would rather come back for a treat. They are also very short coated so don’t shed much at all (every breed sheds unless it’s bald), they are happy with a run around and then sofa all day, very good with kids... they are fab dogs.

You describe a few of the activities you want to do with the dog and I think sometimes people (like with horses) overestimate how much dog they need. Most medium size up breeds are happy to go for active walks and runs. However you won’t be doing this for 18-24 months, as any earlier will knacker their joints.

And for a high energy breed are you committed to the hours of walking everyday? Are the family bike rides etc daily or more likely weekly or fortnightly? If so the majority of the time you actually want a fairly low energy breed! High energy also often leads to high intelligence, something like a collie I would not recommend for a pet home with kids. Intelligent dogs need jobs, be that working, agility or mind training.

Lots to think about and these are all just opinions!

Micori

Visit site
Are you on FB? Look up Muddiwarx Barbets. Julie is really approachable and will be happy to fill you in on the breed.
Thank you! I’ve found her and some other breeders from the official UK website. I think I have found the perfect breed! Puppies are few abs far between so I may have to wait a good 18 months but that’s no problem. I honestly thank you so much for jogging my memory about this breed!

Micori

Visit site
The only PWD I have met in practice have been either completely neurotic or only just controlled high energy and that’s with very experienced owners. I think they haven’t quite been bred for pet lines yet and need a few generations of calming!

Poodles I find incredibly strong willed and stubborn, and can be anxious. The strong willed/stubborn can work well if they have a job and are well trained but even so I think some are just incredibly difficult whilst being very intelligent!

Im another who would vote for whippet. Slightly biased as I have one... who also lives with a Ragdoll FYI. We never struggle with the whippet/lurcher with livestock and would put any dog on a lead around sheep anyway. Ours are trained recall, my girl comes to a dog whistle, which I have trained since the day I got her. Small fluffy running things do get their attention but nothing that isn’t controlled as they are recall trained and would rather come back for a treat. They are also very short coated so don’t shed much at all (every breed sheds unless it’s bald), they are happy with a run around and then sofa all day, very good with kids... they are fab dogs.

You describe a few of the activities you want to do with the dog and I think sometimes people (like with horses) overestimate how much dog they need. Most medium size up breeds are happy to go for active walks and runs. However you won’t be doing this for 18-24 months, as any earlier will knacker their joints.

And for a high energy breed are you committed to the hours of walking everyday? Are the family bike rides etc daily or more likely weekly or fortnightly? If so the majority of the time you actually want a fairly low energy breed! High energy also often leads to high intelligence, something like a collie I would not recommend for a pet home with kids. Intelligent dogs need jobs, be that working, agility or mind training.

Lots to think about and these are all just opinions!
Thank you these are brilliant points.
I had considered a whippet but I have a friend with one where we leave and his recall isn’t that great. So it’s always put me off. Perhaps that’s a bit narrow minded and it’s down to training... really good to hear your viewpoint and experience with one.

Good point on them all shedding. I know even the non shedders lose hair.

Ill say we are quite outdoorsy. My girls and I are out all year round in all weathers. We definitely do the equivalent of a daily dog walk. Bike rides etc are also frequent but not daily.

I definitely think a high energy dog is probably a bad idea. I do love the idea of PWD but the past 24 hours of input from you guys (you’ve all been amazing - thank you), has made me realised a Portie is not for us.

Ill look into whippets. I’ve definitely decided against Poodles for concern about anxiety and I’m definitely going to pursue any Barbet contacts I come across.

windand rain

Visit site
I am a complete labrador reconvert. Had a labrador from 5-15 but had goldies for the next 55 years along with newfoundlands, GSD and cavaliers but 10 years ago bought a lab puppy and she is the easiest dog I have had, yes she sheds but she is happy on her own has never chewed or destroyed anything, is not greedy and will walk or run where ever you want to go but equally be a couch potato. The shedding is a small price to pay for the perfect dog. She is also absolutely amazing with small children even though they dont live with us. She is not dog reactive and has been unbelievable easy to train and although born in a kennel never once messed in the house she was a tiny 8 weel old working bred pup when she arrived

ponyparty

Visit site
I’m going to throw Manchester Terriers into the mix too - highly intelligent and trainable, love an active rural outdoorsy home. Yes they do have a prey drive, but to be honest all dogs do to some extent so I’d assume you’d be keeping whatever you get on lead around livestock anyway. Whippet sized (they have whippet in their blood as you can tell by their shape and speed). They do shed but have so few and such tiny hairs you honestly wouldn’t notice with all your other pets shedding lots! And they’re so very handsome.

Sense of humour (and a good trainer) required for the adolescent months (as with many breeds!) but once they come out of the other side... brilliant dogs!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
How about a cocker spaniel? I have a cockapoo and whilst I adore her I want a full cocker next time. I can’t be dealing with her coat again. Our dog is just so intelligent and brilliant with children. We exposed her to all kinds of things and she’s not bothered by anything except the beeper on mastermind...

We’re pregnant with our first and have started doing things like playing baby crying sounds and pushing the pram near her and she’s just not bothered.

TGM

Visit site
I did consider a whippet (I have a friend with one but he has got lost before and likes to run after anything) and living in a very rural village with lots of cattle and wildlife around; I would get a bit worried about recall and their tendency to love to run off.

We have a whippet, live in a rural village with lots of sheep and wildlife, and it works just fine. If you get them as pups and train the recall correctly then they are no worse for running off than many other breeds - our whippet is certainly better in that respect than our springer spaniel was! Ours is incredibly clean and doesn't leave tidal waves of hair everywhere. After having longer haired breeds it is a revelation! Do remember that many of the non shedding types do have thick poodle type coats which soak up water and muck like a sponge, unless you keep them shaved very short all the type (or at least in winter).

Our whippet is pretty much the ideal dog. She likes going out on walks, but doesn't fret on days when she can only have 30 minutes. When she is at home she is happy to chill and sleeps most of the day. She is very affectionate and cuddly too. She has been good with all the young children she has met too, she is quite gentle and doesn't bowl them over like some of the more rumbustious breeds might.

One thing I would add is we are all discussing adult dogs of each breed. Do bear in mind that nearly all pups are very hard work in the early months with near constant supervision required to ensure effective toilet training and to prevent chewing etc. And most go through a stage of intensive play biting which needs to be handled properly. I would suggest you read 'Before You Get Your Puppy' and 'After You Get Your Puppy' by Ian Dunbar, which are available as free downloads:

https://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am a complete labrador reconvert. Had a labrador from 5-15 but had goldies for the next 55 years along with newfoundlands, GSD and cavaliers but 10 years ago bought a lab puppy and she is the easiest dog I have had, yes she sheds but she is happy on her own has never chewed or destroyed anything, is not greedy and will walk or run where ever you want to go but equally be a couch potato. The shedding is a small price to pay for the perfect dog. She is also absolutely amazing with small children even though they dont live with us. She is not dog reactive and has been unbelievable easy to train and although born in a kennel never once messed in the house she was a tiny 8 weel old working bred pup when she arrived

I was thinking about this question earlier today. Lab hairs are much heavier than cat hairs, so don't get up your nose etc, although of course, they do land on the carpet - one very good reason for not having carpets where the dogs are allowed to go. I agree that Labs are very easy dogs to have with a family, obviously the odd very clever individual needs more input but we have never had anything but good temperaments in almost 70yrs of Labs..

Micori

Visit site
I too thought a cockerpoo, or a labradoodle if you want a big dog. I was too frightened to say it though. :p

haha I would definitely never consider the poos. I just find it crazy how they are charging such prices for a mutt/mongrel and you never know what you’re actually going to get. I’m sure some of them are lovely dogs, but it’s not for me. I worry that one day all there will be are oodles everywhere as they are so popular. Going to stick with traditional breeds!

Micori

Visit site
I was thinking about this question earlier today. Lab hairs are much heavier than cat hairs, so don't get up your nose etc, although of course, they do land on the carpet - one very good reason for not having carpets where the dogs are allowed to go. I agree that Labs are very easy dogs to have with a family, obviously the odd very clever individual needs more input but we have never had anything but good temperaments in almost 70yrs of Labs..
Labs are the most amazing dogs. I’ll give you that. I’ve never met a bad one. Such lovely temperaments.

Micori

Visit site
Thanks everyone. This has been really helpful info for me. I’ve learnt a lot! I’ve found a few Barbet breeders and I’m going to see if I can meet some of their dogs when covid restrictions have lifted, and take it from there. I think they are the dog for us! Hopefully in a year or so I shall be back and will let you know what we are getting! ?

Micori

Visit site
Thanks everyone. This has been really helpful info for me. I’ve learnt a lot! I’ve found a few Barbet breeders and I’m going to see if I can meet some of their dogs when covid restrictions have lifted, and take it from there. I think they are the dog for us! Hopefully in a year or so I shall be back and will let you know what we are getting! ?

Now I have lots of time to research training and all things puppy ?