Portuguese Water Dog high energy? Any other similar suggestions?

Micori

Visit site
We have a whippet, live in a rural village with lots of sheep and wildlife, and it works just fine. If you get them as pups and train the recall correctly then they are no worse for running off than many other breeds - our whippet is certainly better in that respect than our springer spaniel was! Ours is incredibly clean and doesn't leave tidal waves of hair everywhere. After having longer haired breeds it is a revelation! Do remember that many of the non shedding types do have thick poodle type coats which soak up water and muck like a sponge, unless you keep them shaved very short all the type (or at least in winter).

Our whippet is pretty much the ideal dog. She likes going out on walks, but doesn't fret on days when she can only have 30 minutes. When she is at home she is happy to chill and sleeps most of the day. She is very affectionate and cuddly too. She has been good with all the young children she has met too, she is quite gentle and doesn't bowl them over like some of the more rumbustious breeds might.

One thing I would add is we are all discussing adult dogs of each breed. Do bear in mind that nearly all pups are very hard work in the early months with near constant supervision required to ensure effective toilet training and to prevent chewing etc. And most go through a stage of intensive play biting which needs to be handled properly. I would suggest you read 'Before You Get Your Puppy' and 'After You Get Your Puppy' by Ian Dunbar, which are available as free downloads:

https://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

thank you, this is really useful. I’ve got the free downloads so they’re a great place to start my research on puppies and training.

Reactions: TGM

DressageCob

Visit site
I'll confess to not being a "poo" fan. I don't think the introduction of the other breed adds much and often results in a neurotic dog with an easily-matted coat. If you're concerned about a poodle's anxiety, a poodle cross isn't the way to go.

Have you looked at soft coated wheaten terriers? They are lovely dogs.

Micori

Visit site
I'll confess to not being a "poo" fan. I don't think the introduction of the other breed adds much and often results in a neurotic dog with an easily-matted coat. If you're concerned about a poodle's anxiety, a poodle cross isn't the way to go.

Have you looked at soft coated wheaten terriers? They are lovely dogs.
Yes I had considered them a long time ago but for some reason ruled them out. I think I’ll try and meet some Barbets and if for any reason that doesn’t work out (we are patient so happy to wait a year or however long it takes, will add them to a new list). But I think the Barbets are the perfect breed for us. Thanks so much for your comment. We keep you all posted! ?

DressageCob

Visit site
Yes I had considered them a long time ago but for some reason ruled them out. I think I’ll try and meet some Barbets and if for any reason that doesn’t work out (we are patient so happy to wait a year or however long it takes, will add them to a new list). But I think the Barbets are the perfect breed for us. Thanks so much for your comment. We keep you all posted! ?

I love Barbets! I'm glad they are becoming more attainable in the UK. Good luck with your search!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Another biased person here but look at Irish Terriers. They're medium sized (like a terrier on stilts), WONDERFUL with children, great fun and active without being terrors in the house. You will need to be good at training recall, but tbh unless you get a spaniel or a lab, you'll probably need to work hard at it anyway.

DressageCob

Visit site
Just googled barbets. Everyone is going to say where did you get your 'poo'. :p:D

Yes, but you get to be all snooty and say "doodle?! He's a pedigree Barbet" ?

My GBGV is accused of being a poodle x basset. He doesn't even have a curly coat, just the breed standard rough one. But I don't think many people have seen hairy bassets so they get a pass.
My lakie was curly and accused of being a poodle cross too.

People see poos everywhere ?

vallin

Visit site
If you want a big friendly running breed with an off switch a pointer or GSP from decent lines is a good shout

Another person that would disagree with this I'm afraid ? we meet a lot at canicross and have a lab x gsp and whilst they are lovely dogs they are often not easy and require a lot of input and exercise and some have a hell of a lot of prey drive! (Don't get me wrong, I'd love to add a pure GSP to our household but I don't think they fit the OPs criteria)

Reactions: TPO

druid

Visit site
Another person that would disagree with this I'm afraid ? we meet a lot at canicross and have a lab x gsp and whilst they are lovely dogs they are often not easy and require a lot of input and exercise and some have a hell of a lot of prey drive! (Don't get me wrong, I'd love to add a pure GSP to our household but I don't think they fit the OPs criteria)
I meet many via shooting/gundog work and Canicross and while they do require exercise they have excellent off switches. Likely to be UK vs Ire lines I would wager!

Micori

Visit site
Hello everyone, it’s been a year since I last posted and we finally got a puppy. The breed we ended up getting was (wait for it!)… a Barbet!!

We did a lot of research, met a lot of Barbet owners and waited a long time. She was well worth it! She’s 17 weeks old, part of the family, is amazing with our daughters and is doing so well with her training.

I just wanted to come back to say thank you all for such great advice and thanks so much for jogging my memory about this (quite rare) but fantastic breed.

Hope you’re all well x

dunthing

Visit site
I am a complete labrador reconvert. Had a labrador from 5-15 but had goldies for the next 55 years along with newfoundlands, GSD and cavaliers but 10 years ago bought a lab puppy and she is the easiest dog I have had, yes she sheds but she is happy on her own has never chewed or destroyed anything, is not greedy and will walk or run where ever you want to go but equally be a couch potato. The shedding is a small price to pay for the perfect dog. She is also absolutely amazing with small children even though they dont live with us. She is not dog reactive and has been unbelievable easy to train and although born in a kennel never once messed in the house she was a tiny 8 weel old working bred pup when she arrived
We have a working type lab. We got him at 7weeks as mum had stopped feeding the pups. Ours is 10 years old on Friday and has been as perfect as a dog could be. mad as a hatter running, swimming but very quiet in the house. I'm used to the hair as we've always had labs.

Moobli

Visit site
Hello everyone, it’s been a year since I last posted and we finally got a puppy. The breed we ended up getting was (wait for it!)… a Barbet!!

We did a lot of research, met a lot of Barbet owners and waited a long time. She was well worth it! She’s 17 weeks old, part of the family, is amazing with our daughters and is doing so well with her training.

I just wanted to come back to say thank you all for such great advice and thanks so much for jogging my memory about this (quite rare) but fantastic breed.

Hope you’re all well x
oh great news! Look forward to seeing pics.