Posh dressage plaits? Tips needed!

007Equestrian

Visit site
I can do relatively smart 'traditional' plaits but I really want to learn how to do the 'stallion plaits' as I know them. I've attached some pictures to try to explain. Basically where the base of the plait is raised off the horse's neck and the rosebud itself is nearly on the horse's neck? I try and try but cannot get them to work! Many thanks!

Example 1
http://www.cydendressage.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Stallions-Cadans-1.jpg

Example 2
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a9/38/a2/a938a207dadffc9a9d0beeef8e9f6d49.jpg

Last edited:

Lambkins

Visit site
I love plaiting !!

image_zps53vk9wn2.jpg

image_zps5exrarco.jpg

image_zpswkhaqll4.jpg

tatty_v

Visit site
My plaits nearly always look like that, but that's because I don't know any other way! I think they come out like that because my pony's mane is really thick, and because I sew them in, which creates the tight button of the plait with the slightly puffy bits on either side. All I do is divide the mane into equal sections (the width of the pulling comb), wet the hair and plait each section (not pulling it too tight at the top and securing with a plaiting band at the bottom), thread needle and push it through the plaiting band at the bottom and wrap it round a couple of times to secure, roll the plait up, poke the needle through the bottom of the rolled-up plait to the back, wrap the thread around to the right, then poke through from the bottom again and round to the left this time, then poke needle back down through the plait and trim off thread close to the neck. Does that make sense? I find they stay in really well and I'm probably almost as fast as those who do it all with bands! :)

The wife

Visit site
In the showing world we call these 'hooded' plaits, sometimes used on horses to give the appearance of more topline. The key is to give yourself about an inch at the top of the plait but make sure that when you start plaiting it is tight. A longer, thicker mane is ideal as you can then get nice and fat rosebuds. Lots of water and don't sew into the hood, sew them at the top of the plait, if that makes sense.

Practice makes perfect :)

Chloeap

Visit site
You have to sew them in.

I do these with my boy, they look really smart :)

First, I section the mane up. I do nice wide sections, so fewer but larger plaits. Then start plaiting - I plait tightly but leaving a little room at the top so they aren't tight to the base of the mane. hope that makes sense.. plait right down to the bottom nice and tightly, then fold the bottom back and wrap a plaiting band around this. I then just roll it all up and then sew it in. Once it's nice and secure you can pull the sides out carefully so they are even. Hope this helps. It really is much easier than you think :)

007Equestrian

Visit site

EmmasMummy

Visit site
In the showing world we call these 'hooded' plaits, sometimes used on horses to give the appearance of more topline. The key is to give yourself about an inch at the top of the plait but make sure that when you start plaiting it is tight. A longer, thicker mane is ideal as you can then get nice and fat rosebuds. Lots of water and don't sew into the hood, sew them at the top of the plait, if that makes sense.

Practice makes perfect :)

This is how I used to have to plait the younger horses up for Sales. And most probably why!

Whoopit

Visit site
This is stuff that my dreams are made of.

I cannot plait to save my life. No amount of practise makes me any better.

I know it looks smarter but thank god there is nothing in rule books to say you have to plait up for competition!