Positive experience with cyclists

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I just wanted to say a huge thank you to the cyclists that my trainer and I almost literally ran into on Sunday, I cycle, but not competitively and I've been very aware of the often justified bad press that certain cyclists have generated through their behaviour on the road and around horses.

On Sunday I was hacking out with my trainer who was on a very green young horse we suddenly were confronted by a pack of 15 or so cyclists heading towards us at speed, we waved them to slow down and when the youngster started acting up asked them to stop, which they did immediately. After a bit of backing up and snorting the youngster edged past and we explained that the youngster would never have seen cyclists in a pack, thanked them profusely and apologised for delaying them, they wished us a good day and with smiles and waves from both sides we went on our separate ways. This was repeated several times as we encountered several smaller groups, with the same result each time.

How nice an experience it was and very educational for all sides.

I just wanted to say, this is how it should be, good nature, common sense and tolerance, something that both cyclists and riders should bear in mind. I've seen lots of rants on here about cyclists and wanted to share this to highlight that not everything is negative.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Do you know if it was a specific club that was out? If so, drop them an email to thank them - every little helps! :D

I don't, I will see if I can google it and turn up the event it was passing through the village of Winterbourne Bassett in Wiltshire and they were heading towards Avebury.

I agree it would be great to give them some positive feedback and thanks.