Positive Farrier Posts

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There have been many posts on Farriers, them being unreliable, unable to get hold of, don't return calls, won’t come back to replace a thrown shoe etc. Rarely are there posts of praise…………. But here’s one!

One of my horses lost a nail from the shoe, a piece of hoof had come away & the shoe was moving on his left front, kind of ‘hinging’ from the front. This was seen when I bought him in on Saturday evening. I sent a text to my farrier & didn’t expect anything until Monday really, he does need some time off. He replied asking if we were at a show on Sunday, I said yes but sorting the shoe was more important. Anyway, although he was on his day off, he came out first thing Sunday, sorted out the hoof, secured the shoe & didn’t want anything for doing it. I gave him some bottles of beer anyway.

This isn’t the first time he’s really helped out, he’s normally out to a problem within 24 hours, when he comes to shoe he will phone if he’s been held up & keeps you posted. We’ve had him for 11 years now & he’s been great.

He is Paul Armstrong & he’s from the Atherstone area of Warwickshire. He must be doing something right as he’s been selected to work at the Olympics along with 12 other farriers.

Feel free to post positives about your farriers!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
There've been quite a few positive farrier threads in the past, but happy to contribute again.

Tim Rooney. Brilliant. Nothing is too much trouble, and will come out at the drop of a hat. And has been a fantastic source of support to me over the many years he's been shoeing my horses for.

sarahann1

Visit site
Mine is fab, does a great job and is really good with the horses, you will never here him raise his voice, he never needs to. Neil Chalmers in Angus :)

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I've used both Lee Murray and Scott Rose (Edinburgh / Lothians / Borders) in the past for mine or share horses - both great guys who will speak away to the horses etc.

Lee didn't even mind when my stallion 'dropped it' almost in his face :S

cptrayes

Visit site
I'd like to nominate Moorman on this forum who often posts trying to help people with problem horses. And A Guilding too, who used to post helping people understand what good shoeing/trimming looks like was, until someone button pushed on him for "advertising" :(

amc

Visit site
Neil Kelly based in Southminster..............brilliant guy, really good with youngsters and never shouts or gets cross if the boys are being silly also will try his best to come out that day if a shoe is lost, if can't make it that day will be there the next day, excellent farrier !

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
I have no quibbles with our farrier either, he's always been very good. Always on time within 10 minutes or so. Fabio is also a frequent shoe puller and he usually comes out same day/next day to put back on for me.

Our little shetland companion pony had a nasty injury about 2 years ago. We to this day don't know what she done or how but she sliced the back of her hoof off. We had the vet out and as she's an old girl in her 30's, wasn't sure if she'd pull through. Our farrier came out to work on her and came and checked every few days whilst she was on box rest, then weekly. She's still with us! Tough old bird that she is! Most of the visits he didn't charge us for either as said he was passing us anyway. So yes - good farriers are out there!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Well my farrier is my OH's boss (oh in last year of his apprentiship) but I've always had the same opinion of my farrier - before i even met Trystan, reliable, good at his trade, ALWAYS on time, if i lose a shoe he's out within 24 hours and he's taught my OH bloody well :) so owe him a lot really! Never had a "perfect" horse to be shod, and he's extremely patient with them.. Gem wouldn't be as well behaved today if she hadn't had Arthur/Trystan as her first farrier's.

His names Arthur Bell and he covers most of Cornwall :), OH is the really tall one that's nearly always with him .. you can't miss all 6ft5 of him.. ;) (He's called Trystan)

:D I actually don't think farriers are given enough credit!! Good post!!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I'd like to nominate Moorman on this forum who often posts trying to help people with problem horses. And A Guilding too, who used to post helping people understand what good shoeing/trimming looks like was, until someone button pushed on him for "advertising" :(

How ridiculous of someone button pushing. A good farrier hardly needs to advertise. My husband regularly has to turn away work.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
*waves* love my three Farriers, Aaron Myall, Dean Dibsdal and Angela Platt all are fantastic with my horses and will come out if they pull a shoe within either same day or in the week.
:D

JenHunt

Visit site
lovely to see some positive farrier posts!

we use Felix Diaz - he's wonderful! he always turns up when he says he will and manages to keep 2 not particuarly straight forwards horses right. Tom has sidebone in both fronts and arthritis in his hocks - and yet because his feet are right he usually manages light work with no 'help' from bute. Ron came to me unable to keep front shoes on for more than a week. He now hasn't lost a shoe in over 2 years!

DH1

Visit site
Mine is fabulous too:D
We use Andy Brown, but more often than not it's Ant (don't know his surname:eek:) who comes. He is always on time, or will text me to let you know if there's a problem. My mare came to me with awful feet and he has done a great job with them.

Jazzy B

Visit site
My farrier is a superstar my horse pulled off his shoe at 15:00hrs on Tuesday it was back on my 19:00hrs :D and that's not the first time his come out the same day either!

Hedwards

Visit site
I think my farrier pretty much saved Connie's life when she went down with concussive lami - he worked so closely with my vet, and asked for updates regularly, and kept her comfortable. He is also incredibly reliable, and will always find time to come out within a day or so of calling him to put on a lost shoe. I cant say enough good things about him (plus he took on an apprentice with the best body you have ever seen - face not so much - but on a hot day, in his vest...:D)

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
My farrier is fab too, John Bolton based around Rugby in Warkwickshire. Prince lost a shoe and I called late that evening, shoe was back on the next day. He is always on time and very friendly. He also took the most gorgeous photo of Bodey on his camera and e-mailed it to me.
I like this thread!

Garnet

Visit site
Quite simply, my horse would not be here now without my farrier, Clive Meers Rainger (Kent/East Sussex). Clive has shod Syd for the last 15 years and has kept his feet immaculately balanced to avoid stressing various arthriticky bits that a 27 yo TBx ex-eventer gains along the way. Clive also takes the time to shoe Syd slowly, allowing him to stretch out his joints after holding them flexed - it's the little extras that make him special:)
I think Syd has only lost one or two shoes over the fifteen years - Clive replaces a lost shoe for free, but not many fall off!
Good post!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
My farrier is fab too, John Bolton based around Rugby in Warkwickshire. Prince lost a shoe and I called late that evening, shoe was back on the next day. He is always on time and very friendly. He also took the most gorgeous photo of Bodey on his camera and e-mailed it to me.
I like this thread!

I used to use John when I lived in Warwickshire!

My farrier is amazing, it helps that he is the remedial farrier for Newmarket Equine Hospital so knows his stuff. He's helped turn my lovely boy's unright boxy stilletoes into far more comfortable normal looking feet.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
And A Guilding too, who used to post helping people understand what good shoeing/trimming looks like was, until someone button pushed on him for "advertising" :(

Oh for heaven's sake what a pity :( It's not even his real name fgs. He was fantastic and let me use a whole load of his photos for teaching my students - he couldn't have been nicer or more helpful :)

Marydoll

Visit site

What a waste of a good source of information for everyone on the forum, and rubbish that the report was acted on since he never used his own name :(

Flame_

Visit site
My farrier is brilliant. He's very, very rarely late or can't get there and always texts to tell me, he's easy to get hold of, he knew something wasn't right with my horse's foot when the vet wasn't interested, he has done an awesome job with the foot post keratoma removal and is just a really nice bloke too. Huge thumbs up for Darren Slater in Cheshire.

NorthDevonTraveller

Visit site
Big thumbs up for Andrew Bowyer from all the ladies in mid Devon. Lovely guy, always on time, has put a shoe back on within the hour as he was in the area. Also does an excellent technical job, really good on foot balance. Works with the para dressage team and is really keen to learn and learn. Doing a gait analysis course later in the year, and about to go off to the Calgary Stampede to compete. Go Andy Go!

milesjess

Visit site
Yeah mines fab. Anyone in Lancs area PM me and I'll happily I've you his details.

Always early or on time. Very good with my horse who isn't the easiest due to arthritis.

He's cheap and very flexible, always gets back to you the same day :)

Chicolatino

Visit site
Mine is a superstar.! Scott Campbell from Angus. Have been with him for 12 years. Is treating my boy at the moment for pedal bone rotation and white line hoof disease. Is working closely with my vet and has looked our xrays and come up with a treatment plan. Easy to get a hold of and always fones me back. Also is great at taking my pony from the field and putting him back out for me.!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I hadn't realised A Guilding had been button pushed! How ridiculous! We've lost a really helpful, informative contribution to the forum there!

I hope whoever button pushed has the same happen to them sometime. Either that or they find themselves in need of advice from him and can't get it. What's wrong with these people? :(

rhino

Visit site
I've actually never had a dud farrier, but the best two over the years:

Colin Deeney - Weymouth/South Dorset area
Elliot Hook - Scottish Borders

:D

Inthesticks

Visit site
I don't have a bad word to say about my farrier, in fact he is the best farrier I have had for my horses in the 25 or so years I have horses. He is Phil Brash based in North Cots, Gloucestershire