Positive use of draw reins.

RuthM

Visit site
There are lots of draw reins threads here and a huge breadth of opinion/experience. I thought a thread about positive use would be an interesting resource.

So here goes my view!

I've no objection to draw reins being used on a horse after it has 3 established paces - which by default means 4+yrs IME.
I would not use them to correct an upside down neck :eek: or with a horse that is uncomfortable/fighting with contact.
I have never used them without reins and cannot imagine why a person would.
I found them most useful when horses are accepting of the bit but haven't genuinely understood the rewards to themselves of 'that thing!' (I'm scratching for the right words, it's not just about being on the bit, it's about that impulsion and what I think of as 'flow', where the horse's carriage lifts it and something happens, something good). It may mean a younger horse going below the bit, not wrenched down just trying and not quite getting it, over doing it, which I think self corrects if the rider knows it isn't quite 'that thing!'.
I used draw reins to explain to a horse "This way of going is pleasurable, you'll enjoy it and I'll feel that pleasure through your back and paces, it's going to make me proud and happy to feel you really 'go'." Of course you can't speak to a horse but that's where I've used draw reins to support the horse's own efforts, to add some clarity, to assist not force.

Apologies for lack of techno knowledge, I hope my dodgy description is recognisable to those who could educate me in how to say it properly!

So what's your view of using draw reins correctly?

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Good way of explaining it OP. I don't think 4 years plus is necessary but I agree babies shouldn't go in them. And yes, always with a regular rein too.

I've also used a lunge bungee and regular bungee. I had a horse come to us for breaking that was somewhat started already. He carried his head like a giraffe and had the start of a ewe neck. Used a lunge bungee on him with the ground work and he now carries himself correctly. Not behind or above the vertical but correctly. I don't see the point in letting things get to a point of having to correct later on. But nor do I feel they need jammed in place.

I know I will get fried for saying such things but some horses need a bit extra help.

Terri

Littlelegs

Visit site
I've seen them used positively, well a draw rein type set up anyway, as a lunging/longlining/ groundwork aid which on some horses is beneficial in experienced & knowledgeable hands, with them used for the right reasons.
And I'm not disagreeing with what you say, there are a few competent, experienced people who do use them correctly for the right reasons when riding. However of the large numbers of horses I've ridden or schooled, I have never yet felt draw reins were needed. I don't mean that because I haven't ever needed them, no one does. But I am skeptical about people who claim to be using them positively on loads of horses. Because I think those that benefit from them are rare. There's plenty of more natural ways to get the same result, resorting to draw reins shouldn't be an everyday aid. Unfortunately, for many it is, hence their reputation. And ime the majority of times they are used its incorrectly & for the wrong reasons. Like anything I suppose, because idiots like them, those who are using them correctly are few & far between, & bad associations outweigh the good.

RuthM

Visit site
...bad associations outweigh the good.

I think that's why I thought a thread of 'good' would be very functional, it's not the equipment at the root of the bad associations it's the way and the why they get used when the understanding isn't there.

When I've heard draw rein debates I've rarely seen anyone change view, perhaps because debating them pulls people into one of only 2 camps, for or against, and those whose natural place is in the middle get drowned out.

Cazzah

Visit site
I have used mine about half a dozen times to fine tune some schooling niggles.

In my case my lad was working through and reasonably well established - 3 solid paces, some lateral work etc but would consistently poke his nose during transitions. I used them after attempting to 'correct' this for some time and in place of forcing the issue without. The penny dropped within a schooling session.

I have also used when my horse was on box rest for protection of myself and everyone else around ;) :D

They have their place - but that isn't permanently attached to the bridle IMHO.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Agree entirely. I think the problem is that if you have worked/ been on pro yards, then you will have seen/used them correctly, as well as badly. However if your horse experiences are limited to local diy, rs, local level comps/ shows, chances are that for every 20x you've seen them used, you'd be damn lucky if one of those times they were used how & why they should be. As my experience is a mixture, I can see both sides, but on the threads you mention most people seem to mainly have experienced one or the other, hence the very fixed opinions. And I agree, you've outlined positive uses. Unfortunately, pin down head with hocks two counties behind so my horse looks like its schooled is the more common use, & I doubt that's ever likely to change.

RuthM

Visit site
I agree I've not had much experience of the kind of yards where there's a whole bunch of folk doing their own thing.

I guess I would hope that even within that there will be a small proportion still with a desire to learn and improve - even amongst the ones using DR badly!

Some parts of draw rein use I've just taken for granted, like using them as a double rein not alone, wasn't till I came here I realised that in itself might be something a person wouldn't know, it never occurred to me. I'd hope a little more awareness could stop someone from doing that, if that person was of a mindset to want to improve.

When I learned about rollkur, here again, it was something I had absolutely no idea went on. Obviously I was aware that some people do pull a horse's head in but not that there were also a group doing it to extreme and trying to pass it off as a 'valuable training method'. That made me think about draw reins, not that the pics had them there, just that if that was admired then draw reins have a far darker potential.

I have lived in a very narrow little world...

Goldenstar

Visit site
There are so many thing that we use that can be used in a positive way that can be harmfully or counterproductive if used badly or with bad intent .
A trainer once said to me that with horses intent is all when training , they meant I think that you must be clear about what you intend to achieve and what you intend to achieve must be constructive.
Some things that can easily be positive or harmful of course draw riens, the double bridle ,the schooling whip the introduction of spurs the list is endless really .

micramadam

Visit site
I have seen them used correctly and incorrectly and unfortunately more times incorrectly.

We have used them a couple of times on Grey mare. The first time was to remind her how to carry herself correctly after 8 years of loose rein hacking. 2nd time was after 9 months recouperation from an injury to let her see that she could do it because the pain was gone. She just needed a litle bit of help to find out. Both times, 1 X 30 minute schooling session was all that was needed and they were used with other reins.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I've only ever used draw reins as an emergency brake to help me control a naughty horse. For my last horse this was his nappyness, for my current horse this was for controlling his explosions whilst on rehab walk hacks following psd.

My current horse was ridden in draw reins before I got him, and I wouldn't do it again on him as a schooling measure, he is just more likely to trail his back end that way.