Possible broken/fractured splint bone

Fiftyshades

Visit site
My amazing loan horse has been kicked in the field and could of possibly broken or fractured her splint bone. She had to have staples and is on box rest with X-rays next week.

We have been getting on so well, I'm just really gutted even though everyone keeps telling me it will be fine.

I know its not too uncommon an injury so any stories?

Shooting Star

Visit site
Mine fractured one whilst messing around in the sick paddock supposedly recovering from surgery on a different leg:rolleyes3:

It healed absolutely fine and didn't need to be removed fortunately but put him back on box rest for another 6 weeks ... Although I seem to remember we only survived about 3 or 4 of those on proper box rest as it was getting too explosive being so soon after the previous injury!

Wasn't a fun call to the insurance company to say that I needed to start yet another claim to cover the cost of the scans and X-rays that located it as it looked like it was a blown tendon to start with... Probably the only time I'll ever be grateful to hear that my horse has broken a bone!!

be positive

Visit site
I have dealt with 2, the first was a nasty open injury that shattered the bone so was operated on and returned to full work with no issues.

The second was more complicated although not open, the vet didn't think there was a problem in the area, she concentrated on the pastern and foot which were actually not damaged other than superficially, would not xray and recommended walking him to reduce the swelling, the walking probably pulled at the fracture which then displaced, when finally xrayed it was at a very odd angle so required an op to sort out, the fracture site has healed with no problem, the other injury that was missed in his SI has taken somewhat longer.

Think yourself lucky your vet is more switched on than mine was with horse 2, he went through double the time on box rest he should have due to her reluctance to xray, he had a traumatic time being examined in hospital which caused further injury and is still not right 21/2 years later, although does at last seem to be getting there.

A fractured splint bone should heal without intervention if not too badly damaged and should have no lasting effect on their future, it is non weight bearing and even if removed should cause no problem.

eggs

Visit site
My mare fractured her splint bone about 18 years ago. Unfortunately it didn't heal on box rest so she was operated on to remove it. It healed well and she went on to continue her competition career without any problem.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have looked after two one was bandaged rested and it mended the other had the bone removed she was also fine .

muckypony

Visit site
I know someone whose pony fractured a splint bone and he recovered well and is able to do what he did before.

Bav

Visit site
My old horse broke his splint bone, near side hind. Box rest for 6 weeks but the body had started to reject the broken bit so he had it operated on. He came sound and as far as I know has gone on to continue a perfectly unhindered ridden career.

My vet compared it to us breaking a toe!

Auslander

Visit site
I'vr got one on pen rest at the moment with a fractured splint bone. He was xrayed the day after he did it, and the break was as clear as day. He's bandaged (for protection) on no meds, and looks slightly lame, but not at all unhappy.The leg isn't even swollen! Prognosis is excellent - the fracture is slightly displaced, but not so much that a callus can't form to knit the ends back together.

He spent today occupying himself by taking down (twice) all the (live) electric fence that we put up to stop him thinking about jumping back in wth his mates

Jo1987

Visit site
I had one fracture her splint bone about 3 weeks after I bought her - her leg became horrendously infected, she looked like she was walking with a welly boot on.
However antibiotics and 8 weeks box rest and she was fine, did not require an operation.

liz4949

Visit site
Another positive story here! Mine needed an endless 18 weeks on box rest although it was diagnosed immediately. He went on to lead a full competitive career with never any after effects and is now happily retired sound many years later. I hope you are feeling better about the outcome for yours now.

Fiftyshades

Visit site
Your stories have gave me such hope. So great to hear. Thank you so much for replying everyone. May my mare be as lucky as your guys.

Clannad48

Visit site
Our mare was also kicked in the field about 6 years ago and fractured her splint bone in five places - after bandaging, box rest and patience all healed fine and she has since competed at dressage, showjumping, cross country and now endurance. I think you will find the x-ray in my photo album.