Possible new horse, height help..

Aidey

Visit site
Found a potential new horse, only round the corner from us and more or less fits the bill but one thing is niggling at me, her height.
She was born March 2011 and is out of a 15hh PBA by a 13.2hh Riding Pony. She is currently standing 13.3hh, what do you expect her to eventually mature to? I know it is like asking how long is a piece of string! Owner said between 14.2-15hh. Really I wanted something 15-15.2hh.

Do you think she will just make a 14.2hh Show pony or are the chances of her scraping up to 15hh extremely slim?

So height predictions please :D

Tilda

Visit site
I'm no expert but I think 15hh might be a bit optimistic, if this was the top end of your required height then might be worth the risk but as it's your minimum height it might be a bit too big a risk.

Gracie21

Visit site
Mine is currently just touching 14.2hh at 3, his sire was 13hh and dam was 15hh.

Think it's a big risk if you want something bigger than the biggest parent! Although it does happen.

vanessathomas87

New User
Visit site
Normally I would say chances are very slim, but 2 years ago I bought a 4 year old gelding who was 15'1 - he is now just over 16hh! (The ideal height I originally wanted!) I think this is very unusual and is partly due to his bad treatment before I bought him so now he's on good grass and having proper feed has helped him grow. But just something else to think about... I would only buy it if it is definitely going to be the height you wanted, especially as if it's going to be smaller than you want weight may possibly be an issue???

Kao

Visit site
Bare in mind horses don't stop growing properly until 7. Colts/stallions stop at 5 mostly.
I would look for something bigger unless you really like this one and you know you wont be too big on him.

I went out looking for a 14hh 4 year old project and ended up with a semi-wild 12.3hh 7 year old. The right horse could come in a shape and height you'd never expect (within reason haha).